Willow-Tree

Video Blog About Asperger's

Hiya,

I'm doing a video blog on Youtube, about Asperger's and day to day life. I've only just started, but I hope to continue doing it, and hopefully answer questions and things. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9rpwyIv2oY

Please have a look and comment if you want,

Many thanks,

Willow

xx

well done for doing it. had a wee look at ur other videos too. great singing.

Thank you! :)

oh and welcome to the forum very nice to meet you!

Nice to meet you too. I posted the other day aswell. About my petition: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ASD-In-Schools/ Still trying to get loads of people to sign!!

I will have a look.

Just signed the petition. Something needs to be done--school was hell for me. I still have nightmares about it and I'm 31.

Checked out the blog too--great stuff. Thought the accent seemed familiar--I'm from Derbyshire :thumbs:

OOOOh, i'm from Derbyshire too.

Don't have time now as i'm off on my hols, but i'll check your blog when I get back.

TTFN.

Just signed the petition. Something needs to be done--school was hell for me. I still have nightmares about it and I'm 31.

Checked out the blog too--great stuff. Thought the accent seemed familiar--I'm from Derbyshire :thumbs:

Thank you ofr signing! I'm from Nottinghamshire, but I think I've rejected the local accent, because apparently I don't sound like anyone around me and people often don't think that I am from here. And, a lot of people seem to think I'm American, fo some strange reason.

You definitely have the East Midlandish accent; I suppose it varies from region to region--for instance a lot of people around here use words like "watter" (water), "cottens" (curtains), stuff like that. But American? :huh: Actually, now I think about it, I recall a few people telling me my accent sounded unusual. Maybe it's an Aspergers thing...?

OOOOh, i'm from Derbyshire too.

:thumbs: Best county in the country!

You definitely have the East Midlandish accent; I suppose it varies from region to region--for instance a lot of people around here use words like "watter" (water), "cottens" (curtains), stuff like that. But American? :huh: Actually, now I think about it, I recall a few people telling me my accent sounded unusual. Maybe it's an Aspergers thing...?

Maybe it is an Asperger's thing. I did read somewhere (I forget where) that we don't have an accent that necessarily fits with our local area. I don't say ''watter'' though, or ''cottens''!

Hi Willow,

I have just signed your petition and watched your blogs and songs. I am with you all the way about raising awareness and do my bit in the school where I work (also my son's school). I will get OJ to watch your youtube and maybe comment, although he is only 13 he has a very mature attitude and awareness of his Aspergers and Tourettes - he also sings and has some songs on youtube!!

Good luck

Stella xx

Hi Willow,

I have just signed your petition and watched your blogs and songs. I am with you all the way about raising awareness and do my bit in the school where I work (also my son's school). I will get OJ to watch your youtube and maybe comment, although he is only 13 he has a very mature attitude and awareness of his Aspergers and Tourettes - he also sings and has some songs on youtube!!

Good luck

Stella xx

Hiya, thank you for signing and watching my blogs and things! :)

I absolutely applaud you for doing something like this; it's a wonderful idea, though I truly doubt whether I'd be able to do it! I'm going to post a comment on the video too, and good luck with it :)

I absolutely applaud you for doing something like this; it's a wonderful idea, though I truly doubt whether I'd be able to do it! I'm going to post a comment on the video too, and good luck with it :)

Thank you for the comments :)

liked ur blog today

Your like me, see someone you know and go in the opposite direction and hope they didn't see ya! I am a bit better now than i used to be I think. the how are you is still a bit of an issue, as probably ppl are not interested so just give the standard 'fine thanx' reply, i tend to forget the, 'and how are you' tho. but as they are not all that interested anyway i expect it doesn't matter. i also hate going into shops that are v quiet, so ur the only customer and its like the shop assistants are watching you!

liked ur blog today

Your like me, see someone you know and go in the opposite direction and hope they didn't see ya! I am a bit better now than i used to be I think. the how are you is still a bit of an issue, as probably ppl are not interested so just give the standard 'fine thanx' reply, i tend to forget the, 'and how are you' tho. but as they are not all that interested anyway i expect it doesn't matter. i also hate going into shops that are v quiet, so ur the only customer and its like the shop assistants are watching you!

I know what you mean about forgetting to ask then how they are. I never have done, I don't think. It's literally like the words won't come out of my mouth. I don't really like shops that much in general. I like big ones that I can browse around, but I don't like being at the tills, when the cashier starts up a 'chit chat' conversation!

Edited by Willow-Tree

haha thats why i love tesco self service!

haha thats why i love tesco self service!

We have a self service till at ASDA, I always mess it up somehow though and someone has to come and 'assist' me :(

maybe u just need more practice, i hate how it says please take ur items over and over when i am still trying to sort myself out! put purse away etc. but still beats the other checkouts. i hate sainsburys as they do not have self service and their staff seem to always want to 'chat' and its very annoying. esp when they make comments on what you are buying, oh cat food do u have a cat? oh chips for dinner tonight then?

I used to find a touch of sarcasm was good at killing people's urge to "chat" :jester: .

I never say "and how are you?" back to anyone either, and they never seem to care. Just shows how irrelevent a lot of that kind of thing is.

oh cat food do u have a cat?

"No, I like it on toast." :eat:

That'll stop them trying to chat with you! :devil::lol: :lol:

maybe u just need more practice, i hate how it says please take ur items over and over when i am still trying to sort myself out! put purse away etc. but still beats the other checkouts. i hate sainsburys as they do not have self service and their staff seem to always want to 'chat' and its very annoying. esp when they make comments on what you are buying, oh cat food do u have a cat? oh chips for dinner tonight then?

I find it quite impoliet when they start asking me about the things I'm buying, I hate it. I dislike buying books and magazines, because I feel like they judge me on my choices! I think when they start with the chit chat I must just smile awkwardly and then they seem to stop talking.

Have a great holiday!

hope the weather brightens up for you.

did u manage to get ur bag packed? u could have taken a small trolly case, also if u are staying close to the station, these places will often keep your luggage for the day untill you are ready to go home, then u can collect it b4 u go to the station.

Have fun anyway x

Have a great holiday!

hope the weather brightens up for you.

did u manage to get ur bag packed? u could have taken a small trolly case, also if u are staying close to the station, these places will often keep your luggage for the day untill you are ready to go home, then u can collect it b4 u go to the station.

Have fun anyway x

I ended up with a small trolly case yes. I think it'll be okay to just drag around, it's not too big or heavy. The hotel isn't far from the hotel, but I think we'll just manage carrying our bags.

See you all when I get back

xxx

Maybe it is an Asperger's thing. I did read somewhere (I forget where) that we don't have an accent that necessarily fits with our local area. I don't say ''watter'' though, or ''cottens''!

My son spoke with a Liverpuddlian accent for years! (We are Scottish!). We reckon it was Thomas the Tank's fault.

Loved your blog and think you have a really lovely singing voice. Is it your hobby or have you had lessons?

Edited by MOSEY

My son spoke with a Liverpuddlian accent for years! (We are Scottish!). We reckon it was Thomas the Tank's fault.

Loved your blog and think you have a really lovely singing voice. Is it your hobby or have you had lessons?

Hiya, thank you for watching my blog, singing is my hobby, I've never had a lesson, although I hope to have one one day :)

I am from Derbyshire too. Well Derby, used to live in Alvaston. I have (almost) a claim to fame, my Grandad was the chaufer to Lord and lady Harrington. They owned Elavaston castle. So my mum lived in a castle!!

I am sometimes told people think I have a Birmingham accent........, Okey :wacko:

I read other posts of yours Willow, I thought you were much older `till I saw you. Good for you I don`t think I could do that.

The singing .... I think I would like to hear you sing instead of listening to your`e rendition of another singer. You have a lovely voice but its hiding behind what you think your audience want to hear (ie: the singer who`s song you were singing) Ever heard any Joni Mitchell?

Oh, lastly .Did the petition.

Adult Autistic.

i am also a female aspie of dx at 14 years old though just before you! i like way describe about being 'stuck' between child and adult services out there! and also agree that NHS doesn't work and has let down and failed many fellow sufferers like us out there! and again bout tons assessments and professionals involved in your personal situation /experience before ASD is mentioned and maybe come as conclusdion instead of MI going through 'everything' you've been through felt like etc very upsetting ,hurtful uncomfortable anxious nerve wrecking depressing frustrating embarrassing yet uplifting happy to get out the way and tell someone let someone in but hard to trust that someone you don't know all that well! tell them your life story how it been for you and your family personal battles,struggles fights stuff you've rather not say broadcast but have to anyways feel forced in someway to find 'right pathway' to what looking for! -ASD! i think you explain it very well! i been through all same professionals i personally believing i was 'mentally insane' crazy mad etc for thinking behaving and feeling in such 'out of control ways' that i needed to be 'locked up' and deserved this treatment!

sorry to hear you're one half to two years behind in education unlike your peers hope school give you equal opportunity and respect for coming back and catching up with work in gap you missed out them years gone good luck hope everyone's happy for you and supportive understanding towards you and decisions you made! esp your family and friends!

i don't get on with my pyschtrist and i have same POV " don't see how going be different this time" he didn't officially diagnose me i referred to him by another he doesn't understand 'get' what AS is how affects me as person in my life and how having MH probs makes this daily life so much harder difficult he puts me down when i do get see him he rude just terrible makes more depressed ,anxious going when suppose make me feel positive! totally opposite feels like doesn't want to know 'me' or 'my life' and what goes with it! he's disrepectful i go in with 'open mind' 'willing to try anything' he said he judges alot time makes me angry upset hurt offended! i dread going so much! i never know where i am either they try living with this for a day and see how 'easy' we make it look live with all it brings they'll soon want there 'normal life' back that's a promise! a fact... need i say no more! professionals who think they know everything know what;s best for us yet havn't got practical experience /facts instead of opinions etc we don't want or need any of it!

you're so conragoeus of saying how it is for you!

i can so relate to you -like hearing myself how weird and strange is that!

all that you said in this i stand by you 100% and more!

does ASD run your family if you n your brother has it now? you only ones in your family with it?

did you always feel 'different' to others out there?

how your family coping? how you coping? -do you have MH probs depression,anxiety etc? you on meds?

did it get to point where made you feel mentally ill as if going mad ,crazy etc couldn't explain give answers to yourself or family?

what you struggle with the most in ASD?

keep fighting on! don't let them or it win!

i'd contact NAS you can refer yourself!

here's web link:

http://www.autism.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly....=617&a=3670 (contact details here for you) if you think this help more support from 'different' service!

XKLX

keep us update with your youtube diaries good idea to 'let it out' not 'bottle it up' and also teach others make society more aware understanding and make sufferers with this conditions maybe less alone isolated confused! you're helping others along the way!

maybe once you sorted get an final official diagnosis even without a singled out ASD into AS what about starting an online website supporting others like yourself sharing tips,ideas problem solving or would that be step too far for you? would you struggle? you've got so much information /knowledge level of understanding to give to society /other ASD's /families out there hidden and unknown!

XKX

I am from Derbyshire too. Well Derby, used to live in Alvaston. I have (almost) a claim to fame, my Grandad was the chaufer to Lord and lady Harrington. They owned Elavaston castle. So my mum lived in a castle!!

Wow! Me and a few friends made a short film back in 2000, and we did the interior shots at Elvaston! I also wrote a short story based on the experience called "On Location" (a ghost story :o ).

And you're spot on--Willow does have a great voice.

Willow, don't know if you write any of your own songs, but if you did you could maybe get around the rhythm problem by recording vocals first and then programming some drums and stuff to match the tempo of the vocals? You can get all kinds of free music recording/producing software on the internet. I've spent the last few years putting together a little home studio; haven't finished any songs yet--I seem to have a similar problem getting the guitars to match the drums :rolleyes::wallbash:

I am sometimes told people think I have a Birmingham accent........, Okey :wacko:

I read other posts of yours Willow, I thought you were much older `till I saw you. Good for you I don`t think I could do that.

The singing .... I think I would like to hear you sing instead of listening to your`e rendition of another singer. You have a lovely voice but its hiding behind what you think your audience want to hear (ie: the singer who`s song you were singing) Ever heard any Joni Mitchell?

Oh, lastly .Did the petition.

Adult Autistic.

Hiya, thanks for signing the petition. I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'I would like to hear you sing instead of listening to your`e rendition of another singer. You have a lovely voice but its hiding behind what you think your audience want to hear (ie: the singer who`s song you were singing)' because I just sing. I don't do anything to my voice to make it sound like anyone else, it just comes out!

I don't do anything to my voice to make it sound like anyone else, it just comes out!

Well you do actually sing as if you are impersonating the singer (of the song you are singing)

You do have a very lovely voice. Perhaps when you find a tutor they will be able to explain better than I can. Sorry its not my strongest subject and I am floundering a bit for the answer.

LordGorse .... help me out here!

I don't do anything to my voice to make it sound like anyone else, it just comes out!

Well you do actually sing as if you are impersonating the singer (of the song you are singing)

You do have a very lovely voice. Perhaps when you find a tutor they will be able to explain better than I can. Sorry its not my strongest subject and I am floundering a bit for the answer.

LordGorse .... help me out here!

I don't do it on purpose. I have a couple of videos of songs that were originally sung by men, surely I don't impersonate them..

Hiya, I'm back off my mini holiday and have some more videos up, if you want to look..

Willow

I don't do it on purpose. I have a couple of videos of songs that were originally sung by men, surely I don't impersonate them..

I think the "problem" here is that you do very good renditions of the songs, and I guess that may make it appear as though you were "imitating" them, which I think happens with pretty much everyone who sings a cover of another artisit's song. I dunno...I reckon you have a more unique voice (in good way :) ) than some of the vocalists in the bands you've covered. It'd be great if you did ever write and perform your own material :thumbs:

Hiya, new blogs on youtube. Did one with my Autistic brother too.

:)

Willow