frogslegs

SUMMER FUN

:thumbs::thumbs: OK guys... we are all at a loss on how to occupy our children this summer... how about we exchange our tips on what we can do with them. One key factor: it needs to be either free or really tiny cost! So here is my input!

Off to France for two weeks then I think if the weather keeps being this great we are going to spend a lot of time at the library. We are taking part to the Reading challenge (read 6 books during the summer and get stickers, prize...it's free), also taking part to activities organised by Carers support (free), the local museum is inviting children to take part to a dig (free), there is a scheme for free swimming for under 16 (national initiative I think). Local ASD group is organising a couple of outings... all in all a fair amount of things planned throughout the summer. Libraries usually have a list of stuff which is local and free.

At home we do a lot of cooking, playdough, my son loves gardening, he's got beetroot, parsley, rosemary growing in the garden. In the past we have made a train book, cutting pictures out of magazines and him drawing and writing comments. I got him to choose a country (for some reason he chose Romania(?), and researched it (flag, rivers, capital city...) and created a 'book' about it. We've gone for walks with a plant book and looked up names of everyday plants... We have borrowed books from the library with ideas for DIY activities. We have a digital camera and go and take funny photos and then use our computer to make funny cards with them.

On the whole looking forward to the holidays although I suspect that I will have to deal with a lot of bickering but never mind!

Come on... we need your input! :jester::jester:

Frogslegs :thumbs::notworthy:

We always did the local library Reading Challenge with my girlies when they were younger. Off to get youngest joined up for this summer.

'Picnics' in the park, or even just up on the green near our house: just their usual lunch, but somehow sooo exciting once you call it a picnic and include a rug to sit on! The girlies are now old enough to take the youngest on their own to the green, even better! They also play rounders/cricket/rugby there too.

One summer I bought really cheap jeans (£2 each or so) and downloaded 'customise your jeans' stuff from a CBBC kids art programme site. Then we bought fabric paint and sparklies and the girlies spent a happy couple of days doing that.

DH used to do fiendish treasure hunts that went all over the house (up and down the stairs a lot! ;) )...just a teeny packet of sweets as the prize.

They sometimes write their own panto at Christmas, bicker rehearse and then put on a performance, complete with programmes, stage sets, etc. When we stay with the cousins they tend to make films using their uncle's camcorder.

DVD evenings with a bowl of popcorn, either something new from Blockbuster, or an old fave. Sometimes we'll have a Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings 'Festival' and watch all the films over a few days :hypno:

It's small consolation for those with young ones, but it's surprising how quickly the time goes...I can't even remember what I did with eldest DS (20) during the hols, other than the local SN playsceme...I must have done more, surely?! :shame: And DD#1 at 14 spends a lot of her time now at her bestfriend's watching 'Titanic' :lol:

Bid :)

Edited by bid

we usually go on all the foster care outings, but for some reason this year they've decided the best place to put everything is 4 hours away - not helpful with a 3 year old!

so instead we are going to the library lots, going on walks, visiting family, going to the local soft play place (reasonably cheap at £5 for all of us) using tesco vouchers for the more expensive bits.

we've just started having a music and movement session in the mornings - lots of sing-a-long kids songs and jumping around, although at the moment i seem to be doing more singing and jumping than the little one... colouring and playdoh, might get brave and get the paints out (after wrapping everything in sight in plastic to protect against the paint brush thrower)

made a mini sand pit in the garden (old baby bath and some play sand - cost a grand total of £3)

and of course the toy library - even more fun if the selfish so-and-so who has had the trike for the last 2 months would ever bring it back!

It was so much easier when my lad was little. He'd play for hours, playdough, Lego, cooking, painting, all the things that little kids enjoy, he was so easy to entertain. Now he's 15 and obviously doesn't want to do any of that stuff anymore, there isn't much left and when you only have one I think it's more difficult 'cos there isn't a busy atmosphere with lots going on all the time, it's deathly quiet, just me and him. We're struggling. :unsure:

~ Mel ~

My children have created a restaurant at home, calling it 'Eat Away'. Littlest one is the waitress - clearing tables, writing a menu, DS2 is the chef, DD1 has been trying to change the name and generally take over, so that'll make her the business dragon then.

On the menu tonight: chicken curry and rice, homemade lemonade, Eton mess. One sitting - 6pm, so hard luck Dad.

LO has just shown me to table number 6, given me the menu to look at for 'a couple of minutes' and shown me where the children's play area is. Has come back to take my order and is the charmingest waitress ever. Have already wiped sticky lemonade off every surface in the kitchen.

Been to the library earlier - they're doing a reading quest thing. Yesterday we had a house full of friends - six of them, so that flew by. Tomorrow we're meeting in the park for a birthday picnic.

We have had quite a good week, on wednesday we went to a fair that was free for disabled people, we worked out that in the 2 hours they gave us free rides we would have spent £70 there are 5 of us, my kids love anything that is high adrenaline, so they were in their element and it was freeeeee. A local disability group arranged it.

Yesterday we went to the beach and as i said before my kids are adrenaline seekers and went in the water in their underwear, wasn't too cold for them they have been in the sea fully clothed in wales, on a holiday we had in the middle of february.....! 'nuts' At the beach yesterday i took a double sleeping bag for them to roll down the hills on the beach in, they loved it!!!

So really i have to find things that are energetic for them or else they literally climb the walls, they wanted a water fight today in the garden, i had to draw the line there as they forcast heavy rain. We have already had our family holiday in june for 2 weeks in france and now have decided never to do that again, having it in the summer holiday is a better idea it breaks up the holiday.

We will have to spend lots of money i am afraid, we will be going to the big theme parks. We will also go swimming thats free. Our other options will be camping which they love as they stay up late outside roasting marsh mellows and watching the stars and chinese lanterns. But we have to be careful with the fire as youngest ds gets too close for comfort.

We will probaly also do the cinema with the cea card as carers are free. I hope we all make it through this holiday. :unsure::wallbash:

some great ideas here :thumbs: We have been to the cinema and go to lots of different parks! I also live not far from coast which is great as long as you dont mind a load of sand in your car!! I have been to some free museums my son is into fossils at the mo! Also swimming is free for under 16's i think!

We have had indoor picnics when the weather has been bad.

Our county's libraries do an ACCESS card, aimed at those who might find it hard to read, but I had no problems getting one for AS/ASD. This means you can take out music CDs, DVDs, videos, PS games for free. I found that very useful in the holidays.

Froglegs - have you been to Beale Park near Reading? It is cheap to get in, and you can spend the whole day there. They have a web-site. There are a variety of things to do/look at, including a paddling pool and plenty of room for picnics. Also, my son liked going top Danebury Hill when he was at school near there.

Many rail companies offer 2 for 1 discounts for many top London attractions.

If you live out west, the Banksy exhibition is on at Bristol museum and well worth a visit - I went a couple of weeks ago. It's free - we had to queue for a couple of hours though.

K x

might get brave and get the paints out (after wrapping everything in sight in plastic to protect against the paint brush thrower)

Could you do the painting in the garden? If you were feeling really brave you could use a tray to put paint in and do foot prints :D

If you do that, can I come and play? :unsure::lol: - I want to try footprints in contrasting colours and a space hopper on giant paper!!! :bounce: :bounce: :wacko:

Could you do the painting in the garden?

That's what I use to do when I did childminding. Then just hose them all down when they had finished. (just kidding)

got finger paints and giant chalks lined up and waiting for a nice day. minimal clothing and a bowl of soapy water on stand by and we'll be all set for some messy fun :D soft play and the local park on the cards this week plus some friends coming to play one day... week one of 8 already survived

We go for walks, have picnics, beach just down the road so great for nice days. also outdoor heated pool at school across road, paid out for membership so just £1 a swim, as its heated they can go whatever the weather, and stay for ages, I bring a book, bliss. Also pay out once a year for membership for large theme park, its then a free day out, with a picnic lunch! has areas for all weathers. We also have lazy days, where we stay in pj`s an the kids watch hannah not Tanna!!!! on a loop, I know all the words to all the songs and find myself singing them in the car :tearful: my lot are all into magnetix, and they play for hours making all kinds of wonderful shapes out of the seemingly millions of tiny pieces. We are lucky enough to have a large ish garden and the 2 littles play out there for ages and ages and ages! thats free! So far I am really enjoying the hols with my tribe, this time last year was in dispair with DS2, such a relief. :thumbs: happy hols everyone. Enid

We've been doing lots of big doggy walks in nice places and taking picnics for us and a treat for our lwo labradors. The kids love to throw sticks in the water and watch the dogs fetch them back then shake like all the water off like mad things!

Next week, we are packing paints and engraving boards (from Hobbycraft website sale - very cheap arty treats) and staying at our wee caravan for a couple of arty days. I do my own paintings at the table and the kids sit and join in with their projects.

If anyone is off to the cinema, I'd strongly recommend Ice Age 3. I was laughing louder than the kids - genius!!

Oh yeah - card games. Scabby Queen (Scottish name - bet there's a more polite name for it!). The kids love it!

It was so much easier when my lad was little. He'd play for hours, playdough, Lego, cooking, painting, all the things that little kids enjoy, he was so easy to entertain. Now he's 15 and obviously doesn't want to do any of that stuff anymore, there isn't much left and when you only have one I think it's more difficult 'cos there isn't a busy atmosphere with lots going on all the time, it's deathly quiet, just me and him. We're struggling. :unsure:

~ Mel ~

Mel, been thinking about this post the last couple of days and I wondered if you`d considered getting a dog? that would be something you could both do together, get you out and exercised, it would be another presence in the house and you could always walk it alone if he didnt want to come with you, even if you just went around the block, you could even rescue an older quieter dog if you didnt want to go through the puppy stage, You have proberly thought of this anyway but worth a try. >:D<<'> Enid

Mel, been thinking about this post the last couple of days and I wondered if you`d considered getting a dog? that would be something you could both do together, get you out and exercised, it would be another presence in the house and you could always walk it alone if he didnt want to come with you, even if you just went around the block, you could even rescue an older quieter dog if you didnt want to go through the puppy stage, You have proberly thought of this anyway but worth a try. >:D<<'> Enid

That's kind of you, Enid, thanks. I'd actually love a dog, always had them when I was young. Unfortunately, Jay is terrified of them and hates them. He'd never be interested in the dog, even if he could get used to having it in the house, he's just not an animal kind of person, unless it's fish and snails, of course. :wacko: He hates our cat, constantly tells her to 'go away, stupid cat', he'd react just the same with a dog. :tearful:

~ Mel ~

Just to say, Mel - one of the reasons we bought our first dog was that my sons had an irrational fear of dogs and were jittery around them. They now snuggle up on the sofa with their heads against the dog, love walking them and spend hours playing with them. My eldest DS used to spend hours stroking my head because he liked the sensation of it - drove me mad! I'm delighted to say I've been replaced by a labrador!!

If your son really has an aversion to them, getting one could be just the way to help him overcome this.

Edited by MOSEY

our son also had a phobia to dogs. Our next door neighbour dogs also bit him so that did not help. So we spent time going to the rescue home. This proved a stressful thing as alot of the dogs he wanted but they were not suitable. But than we went to the "Dogs Trust" and they were fantastic. Very helpful. They showed us three animals that would get on with our son that were very patient. Our son choose a 3 month old mixed puppy. They also have a policy of sterilising the dogs and giving them all there injections.

Unlucky for us the dog got a bad dose of kennel cough and she was delayed coming to us but we went up every week to see her. Eventually she came home but was still poorly and need an additional 2 courses of antibiotics and than a steroid injection. All this was covered by dogs trust as they do not discharge the dog until the problem is cleared up. We were so impressed.

We have now had the dog for 1 year and my son loves her. He cuddles her plays with her and the dog has given him so much confidence. The dog has also given my son independence, as he takes the dog up the road and back again. He is 12 years old but not safe on roads so this works out very well. It has also taught him reponsibility as he nows the dog needs to be fed watered and exercised every day. Its also a good excuse to get him from infront of the computer.

Just to say, Mel - one of the reasons we bought our first dog was that my sons had an irrational fear of dogs and were jittery around them. They now snuggle up on the sofa with their heads against the dog, love walking them and spend hours playing with them. My eldest DS used to spend hours stroking my head because he liked the sensation of it - drove me mad! I'm delighted to say I've been replaced by a labrador!!

If your son really has an aversion to them, getting one could be just the way to help him overcome this.

I'm glad it worked out well for you, I just know that for Jay it wouldn't be the answer though. He doesn't like cuddles and closeness with people and wouldn't let an animal get near him either, at best he would just come to tolerate the dog, but would consider it an annoyance and would take no joy in it, I just know. Thanks for telling me your experience though.

~ Mel ~

Well I don't have a dog but two cats. My son loves them and they give him lots of unconditonnal love. One of them is completely loopy and climbs in the bunk bed to my son's absolute delight. He feeds them every morning and comes with me to the vet but they are independant and when they have enough of being fussed they just walk away. My son has always been very nice to them and incredibly gentle.

Today we have made a wind chime, played with Lego, tidied downstairs (they love sweeping and emptying the dishwasher), practised our music, had our hair cut, gone to the supermarket to buy uniforms (used my double points vouchers to buy new toys), etc.... A busy day!

we had kids round to play. 5 hours with 4 kids instead of 1 to look after whilel their mum worked, but it was easier than having our one on her own. they did dressing up (a sight with the three extras being boys aged 10, 8 and 14 months!!), marble run, ran around the garden like maniacs and generally tired each other out managing to only break 2 toys in the process. we've booked in swimming and soft play sessions with them too.

Today we went to the Museum of London Docklands - £5 for me (annual pass!) and £0 for children. Highly recommended, although Sailor Street was too scary for my five year old. Plus a wander around Canary Wharf and a ride on the driverless Docklands Light Railway - not on the new bit, though all the stations we went through were being extended to take longer trains.

soft play for us today, and it went better than I could ever imagine. we spent 3!! hours there, and i only had to go on things a couple of times with her before she got the confidence to do it all herself. amazed since she's got no confidence in her physical ability and gives up before she's even had a try. today she was lifting herself up to the next level all on her own and didn't cry/scream/hurt anybody the whole time! we even stayed for an hour of the big kids time after toddler club because she was so good

our son also had a phobia to dogs. Our next door neighbour dogs also bit him so that did not help. So we spent time going to the rescue home. This proved a stressful thing as alot of the dogs he wanted but they were not suitable. But than we went to the "Dogs Trust" and they were fantastic. Very helpful. They showed us three animals that would get on with our son that were very patient. Our son choose a 3 month old mixed puppy. They also have a policy of sterilising the dogs and giving them all there injections.

Unlucky for us the dog got a bad dose of kennel cough and she was delayed coming to us but we went up every week to see her. Eventually she came home but was still poorly and need an additional 2 courses of antibiotics and than a steroid injection. All this was covered by dogs trust as they do not discharge the dog until the problem is cleared up. We were so impressed.

We have now had the dog for 1 year and my son loves her. He cuddles her plays with her and the dog has given him so much confidence. The dog has also given my son independence, as he takes the dog up the road and back again. He is 12 years old but not safe on roads so this works out very well. It has also taught him reponsibility as he nows the dog needs to be fed watered and exercised every day. Its also a good excuse to get him from infront of the computer.

No way Jose ! my son wouldn't go within a mile of a dog. We tried one 'on loan' so to speak looked after a relatives, in 2 days we phoned them and asked them who else would take care of it ! he hated the sight of a dog continually was trying to be cruel to it, and then pushed it out the front door onto the road, for its own safety we took it for someone else to look after. There was no way an animal or my son could stay in the same house. He'd walk into the main road to give any dog a wide berth he really dislikes them, and they tried in school with 'animal days', such was his outright aversion he was excused the whole thing. He does tolerate our cat funnily enough, but a dog.... it would be a straight choice between him or it...

nightmare day yesterday. we took the little one to a zoo/playpark. we usually go with whatever kids we have in the summer holidays and its a great day out for everyone. but it was awful! it was incredibly busy which set me off straight away dark crowded spaces with kids and adultls shouting everywhere are not my ideal. okay i thought, when we get into the outside play bit it'll be fine... but that was even more crowded. they had roped off most of the picnic area for a meet and greet with Dora the explorer, which left nowhere for anyone to sit and eat. in the end we managed to find a tiny space in the middle of some shrubs to sit and have our picnic, pointed the little one at the paddling pool (about 15metres square with at least 40 kids trying to play in it) and left 10 minutes later only 2 hours after we arrived.

it has had maybe half the number of people there all the other years we've been, and that combined with losing the picnic area was baaad. they have a cafe which was about the only uncrowded place there, but little one has no concept of table manners, throws food, screams and shouts and calls people wonkers and batches :whistle: (the only time i'm glad she can't speak properly) and generally isn't up to eating in a confined public place and their website says picnics are fine so all in all, i wasn't impressed and we wont be coming back next year!

next trip is probably to a smaller theme park with lots of family rides that we've also been to before. have also got her into water 'paint' books with a little sponge tipped pen. perfect for her as she's a scribbler and can have them anywhere in the house as theres no mess and she gets a proper picture at the end.

how's everyone else doing?

We're struggling still. :tearful: Booked Jay on to a course for kids with dyspraxia, four afternoons this week. It was to help them with their confidence and training them to do a little assault course. It was due to start Tuesday afternoon, but come Tuesday morning he was saying he didn't feel he could cope with going. Afterwards I think he was a bit upset that he might have missed out on something, but it left us with a whole week of nothing to fill and it's been dragging. He's bored and fed up and I don't know what to suggest anymore.

This afternoon I'm taking him swimming, I'm going to try and teach him to swim. :unsure: He's far to big to be splashing about and jumping about like a five year old and, because he can't swim, we're stuck down the shallow end and, tbh, it's pretty embarrassing him leaping about kicking people and flailing his arms about in an uncontrolled way. I'm going to try and teach him to swim, but he's so eratic and just waves his arms about wildly, I'm not sure how far I'll get. He needs to really control his movements, but he gets bored and frustrated and then just goes really silly and gives up and won't try anymore. It's always been incredibly difficult to teach him physical skills, as he just ends up getting dispondent and sabotaging it with sillyness and eratic behaviour and hysterical laughter. Not SO bad when he was six or seven, highly embarrassing when he's nearly 16. :unsure: Trouble is, he doesn't realize how much he is showing himself up and humiliating himself. :tearful:

Wish us luck for this afternoon!! My main hurdle is his attitude. If it goes well, I'll try and take him every couple of days and if he works hard we could end up cracking it and he could be swimming soon, or it could all go horribly wrong. Plus, dug out my swimming cozie and it's too big and baggy and covered in hideous white patches and see-through bits. :whistle::o Oh god, I'm dreading this. :(

~ Mel ~

We start the day with the intention of doing something that day otherwise there's a day just stretching ahead.

Good luck with the swimming. I bumped into a family I've been able to support at the pool yesterday - 13 y/o son diagnosed with PDD. Even though I'd never met him, just been working with the parents, I was able to tell them within a few seconds which one he was. They were a bit taken-aback. Lovely family. Kurdish refugees, completely clueless about autism. Their son only got diagnosed when he had a run-in with the behaviour support team. The mum was all glammed-up poolside, I was in my rather tired black cosy. Must be the chlorine that makes them go like that. On the lookout for a new one now.

Summer is a real problem isn't it ? loads of children, noise, and crowds around, the very thing our son hates ! We have to find holiday areas where there are not many people about, which defeats the point a bit. As for finding something different every day to do, after 14 years we've exhausted most of those. Most children are able to amuse themselves at least occasionally, but our son will expect US to do it 24/7 or just do nothing at all but wander around in a circle. This year everything has fell through really as he now shows a real determination to say no to everything. Apparently our drive to get him to inclusive areas and help were not what he wanted and he put up with them until he gained enough confidence to say he wasn't going to attend any more, one wonders how many autistic children go along with things against their own personal choices ? us parents aren't infallible, we try, but without feedback we just won't know for sure. Now we feel guilty we have been sending him to inclusive play areas he has obviously hated ! Parents still feel under pressures to get children in to different inclusive areas, but if we go with the child who says he hates it, the powers to be assume parents aren't trying hard enough, to 'widen horizons and opportunity'. Many of our kids just don't understand the whole concept. It has to be said neither do inclusive play people either, who are not aware of autistic needs at all, and here, tend to put autistics with very young children and others with multi-disabilities whom our son simply does not relate to at all, and now has said no way will he go any more, just to be there as an observer. What do you provide for a child with no ability to interact with other children, and no drive to do anything that may lead to that ?

MelowMeldrew, i could have written this myself . It is an imposible situation and you have highlighted it very well .I completely identify with what you say and yet, after doing this for 22 years i have no answers, x

Edited by lisac