Marikyn

I cant stop eating

this past year i've gotten into terrible eating habits, i really cant stop eating, as soon as i stop feeling full i eat more. i'm piling on weight and getting stretchmarks all over the place, none of my clothes fit properly any more, i cant walk to the bus stop without breaking out in a sweat. if we have no sweet stuff in the house i'll eat sugar, i'll spend my wages on junk food.

i'm totally out of control and i dont know what to do, i've tried to approach the doctor and the occupational health people at work and all i get is 'eat healthier, get more exercise - but you know that right?' and i do know that but i just cant do it! i have pretty bad social anxiety so going out for walks scares the hell out of me, we tried getting in healthy stuff but i just end up eating too much of it because it doesnt fill me up

i know i could end up with health problems, bad heart, diabetes etc but i still cant stop - its like a proper addiction

does anyone have any advice for me?

do u have any family around who could possibly help you with it? sorry i'm not much help either.

i live with my partner and he tries to support me but i end up being sneaky about it, since we are on different shifts i just eat rubbish when he's not there, or when i'm at work

he says things like 'i'll take you on holiday if you lose weight' or 'i'll marry you if you get to a size 12' (i'm size 22 at the mo) dunno if its just me but i think they are awful things to say, puts a lot of pressure on me and only makes me feel like more of a failure

thanks for the responses guys, its good to know i'm not the only one like this. i didnt have a problem when i lived with my mum and she made all the meals!

i'm seeing my psychologist on wednesday, i can maybe have a talk with her about it but i have before and i think she thinks that problem will go away if other things are worked out

It is possible to get addicted to food, and that sounds like what has happened. There are treatments, and your doctor should not be dismissing your concerns. Talking to your psychologist about it definitely sounds like a good idea. Removing the underlying causes that led to this are not likely to solve the problem on their own, but should help.

WOuld it help at all to remove the temptations - don't have unhealthy foods in the house at all, so if you want to snack, you have no option but healthy snacks. If you told your colleagues at work that you are trying to eat healthy, they might deter you from eating junk food at work.

I think you ought to tell your partner how his comments make you feel. If you work on the assumption that he thinks he is giving you motivation, then you needn't end up arguing about it. Anything that makes you feel like a failure is likely to end up with you turning to more food for comfort. Think about what support you would like him to give you, then you have something positive to say, rather than just telling him he is handling it wrong.

Is there any way you and your partner can find time together to exercise or go for walks? Would it help if he took over some of the cooking?

i'm just same put on weight as binge and crave foods especially on moods and feelings at the time could this be case for you? mis it bordom frustration isolation depression anxiety??? try work out if any of these could be possiblity of making food 'fill the hole' in more ways than one sometimes food can be comfort tool a habit addiction out of lifestyle! i'm just joined a local gym and going to take up swimming as fed up of my body shape gets me worked up paranoid etc eats away literally! hate way clothes feel on me! i know all too well how it can be! what bout going to nutritionist to help look at healthier options and make up food menu which appeals personally to you!? whqat bout taking more exercise walking,cycling, running, gym,swimming etc ???

XKLX

why not get someone to walk with you? or take MP3 player listen to music so takes mind off social anxiety why not have healthy meals but also healthy snacks such as fruit youghurt ??? try come up with healthy living plan with pyschlogist as not just about focusing on your eating but also habit/addiction which oviously it has become out of control where you now know it has got to that point! please don't lose weight for anyone but yourself your hubby should be encouraging and supporting not negative put down remarks and comments this only going to make feel worse about yourself and your body image! maybe he should go with you to pyschologist to help feel more supported in this situation! as isn't easy to work out what steps need to put in place alone it's more scary facing it! sounds like you've got low self-esteem/confidence anyway???

could you and your hubby make up healthy food menu together and also healthier lifestyle plan??? and buy igrediences and cook together???? has BED been looked into???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binge_eating_disorder

http://www.win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/binge.htm

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/binge-eating/...troduction.aspx

http://www.counselling-directory.org.uk/binge.html

http://www.womenshealth.gov/faq/binge-eating-disorder.cfm

http://helpguide.org/mental/binge_eating_disorder.htm

hope this information and web links help you find some answers to what's going on here!

good luck

take care

ME X

I think smiley1590's idea of making up a healthy food menu is a good one. Could you start by making a food diary of what you're eating now. Write down everything you eat during the day and the amount, get it out into the open and then it won't be a secret anymore and you might feel more in control of it. After a week you could decide what things you might be able to cut out or replace with alternatives. Is there a particular fruit or healthy snack that you like? Get a good supply in and when you feel peckish you can reach for that. When you have a good weeks worth of food diary then you could sit down with your hubby and work out a menu for the next week. If it's written down, along with snacks and treats included, then you might find it easier to stick to. Ask him to support you by not having fattening foods in the house and eating healthily along with you. It's not good you trying to eat an apple if he's sitting there with a packet of biccies, it'll be too hard for you. If you both agree to eat healthily you'll feel more supported and might find it easier to stick to.

Good luck.

~ Mel ~

Marikyn, I know ust what you're going through as I 'm doing exactly the same thing. If it's there, I'll eat it and I can't stop until it's all gone. I aso get panicky if stocks are running low, and go out and buy in bulk so that my cpboards and fridge is full.

Ive noticed that you're going through assessment at the moment...so is my son, and I can think of little else. I think the assessment and all the worry is what's made me turn to food, but i do worry that i won't be able to stop.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but hope it helps to know you're not alone.

>:D<<'>

Thanks so much for the links smiley, i never even knew BED existed and having read up on it i have every single symptom. i'll speak to my psychologist on wednesday, i might try the doctors but i find that hard because i dont have my own doctor, just whatever one is free at the time so i dont know any of them well enough to feel confident to talk to them about it. i think they have so many people going in complaining about their weight that they just give standard answers to them!

i'm a bit of an expert with food diaries - having been on weight watchers 5 times since my teens! trouble is the compulsion to eat takes over and the diary gets shoved to the side. we don't usually have much snacky stuff in the house as in my bf's words 'i cant be trusted' and its true, if there is a multipack of low fat crisps i'll eat the lot, same with sweets. tho if there are bananas in the house they get left till they rot lol they are the only fruit i like. i started going to the gym about a year and a half ago - i felt that made me want to eat more - apparently after exercising your body craves a quick energy fix and i dont have the willpower to make a healthy choice - i go for the junk

my workmates do try to help, i work in the evenings so its usually just a snack break and most of them eat pretty low fat stuff and one of them took on the job of watching what i was eating - so i resorted to sneaking out and eating mars bars in the toilet cubicles ewww

i think i'm finding this so hard to deal with because i was once really thin and got a lot of attention from the boys! now i feel like i'm disgusting, i dont make an effort with my appearance anymore, i dont see the point

Are you on any medication that could affect your appetitie?

Have you had a blood test for glucose levels?

If you are eating alot of sugar or carb type foods, then you might benefit from switching to a low GI diet and eat something every couple of hours.

If you have a yeast infection it can cause cravings from sweet things. Again a low GI diet will help.

Hi

I'm no expert - I'm a size 18! But, I guess one of the things is to work out why you're eating. If it's as a result of anxiety, then the anxiety needs to be addressed. In conjunction with that, at times when you'd be tempted to eat ie after 7.30pm when watching tv, you could look at ways of occupying yourself ie taking up a hobby eg knitting, sewing, etc. There may be an underlying health problem (ie underactive thyroid - a condition which can typically cause weight gain), so it might be worth getting a health check. Sorry, can't be of any real help.

Caroline.

Edited by cmuir