Mumble

Burns and Scalds

I've managed to give myself superficial and partial thickness scalding on my hand/fingers - got some lovely blisters. :( It appears freshly boiled kettles and complex partial seizures are not such a good combination. :tearful: I've seen the nurse who rubbed on some cooling stuff whilst I screamed and the blisters are now dressed up in layers :unsure:

What I don't know how to do is keep it clean/dry for the next few days and particularly how to deal with things like having a shower? Any tips on keeping a hand dry but still doing normal things - and also still maintaining hand hygiene so I don't get piggy flu? :unsure:

rubber glove? (the disposable type that drs etc use) or food bag tied around ur hand?

Hi Mumble,

I can't really think of anything other than Something Different's ideas, maybe cling film. Just wanted to say that I am thinking of you - it must be really painful, so giving you lots of these >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> and a couple of these :robbie::robbie: (not sure why the rabbits but they are so cute!!!)

Stella xx

rubber glove? (the disposable type that drs etc use)

Latex gloves. You can get boxes of them pretty cheaply; just make sure you don't pull your bandages off when removing them.

A large black bag taped onto the top of your arm will keep your hand dry while having a shower. Tape it on at the top with micropore or slick tape

I can't really think of anything other than Something Different's ideas, maybe cling film. Just wanted to say that I am thinking of you - it must be really painful, so giving you lots of these >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> and a couple of these :robbie::robbie: (not sure why the rabbits but they are so cute!!!)

Thanks everyone for your ideas, I'll try cling film tomorrow, and if that fails get some gloves. Now, how do I explain going into the communal showers with latex gloves... :o:ph34r:

Can you take a bath instead of a shower?

Unfortunately I'm not allowed due to risk of drowning, that's my problem because that would have been the logical solution. :(

It's a bit less sore now (or maybe that's the pain killers! :rolleyes:), I just hope I don't roll onto it tonight and frighten the neighbours with my howling :lol: :lol:

cling film will let water in through the gaps unless you wrap it perfectly, which will be tricky with only one hand to use! better to try a large freezer bag with an elastic band or hair band to tighten it to your arm (but not too tight!!) if you dont want to go down the glove route. if you do pick the glove you need to use a band to seal the bit on your wrist/arm or again it'll just get in that way. or you could go all out and put a gove on, then put a bag over it and seal the whole lot to really make sure nothing gets in.

try keeping your hand pointed up as much as possible to protect the open end of whatever from the running water

as for keeping the exposed parts of your hand clean try an alcohol hand gel carefully wiped on the non-burned exposed areas.

Ouch. poor you. one of my children had a broken arm, just days before a holiday, at the casulty dept at A an E, waterproof covering for arms and legs could be ordered to put over plaster casts, they REALLY worked, he swam, bathed etc. perhaps you could order one for the arm? Enid

:thumbs: thanks everyone - did a combination of clingfilm, multiple bags and tape to seal each layer plus trying to keep it out of the way of the water. The water got through the first layer but the rest seems to have kept it out so it seems to have worked. :) What doesn't work is tipping the shampoo straight on to your head rather than into your hand first as you can't judge how much you've used - I now have very very clean hair!! :rolleyes::lol: Still a bit worried about proper hand hygiene though :unsure:

I can move all my fingers properly today (even though they still feel a bit funny and it's a bit sore) which is a good sign :)

Perhaps you need to wear latex gloves for cooking and eating. You could wipe over the bits you can get to with a baby wipe for freshness, but it won't keep your hands as clean as using soap.

im so sorry to hear that mumble. i was in the same situation when i was 11 years old. I was asked to make my mum a cup of tea and i had an accident with a boiling hot kettle it was going to slip off the counter and i tried to save it from falling but it just didnt work and it hit my foot an ambulance was called out to me and was taken to a and e with this funny gel. the nurse took a look i was then sent down to a burns unit miles away and by reaching age of 12 years old i was in class 8 i got sent back to the burns unit because my scould got bad it turned black and not got better so i ended up staying there the whole night and had to have skin graft the day after then was sent home.

now i have the scar for life, im not allowed it out in the sun unless i use factor 50 + suncream or cover my foot up.

Edited by Special_talent123

Ouch, that sounds horrid. Mine's not nearly as bad, thankfully I'd only put enough water in the kettle for my cup of tea. I had the gel over mine, I'm not sure how to describe it other than 'funny' either!! :lol: Because the skin underneath is ok, once the blisters heal, I think mine will be fine and not scar - at least that's what I hope. :)

I'm annoyed at myself that it happened even though I know rationally that I couldn't control it. :tearful: