KezT

Food fads

Ds has always had faddy tastes in food, but mostly we've done a good job of working through them/with them or just convincing him that he was wrong :rolleyes:

But recently he has just stopped eating ANY fruit or veg. he was always picky, but would eat a fair few things when encouraged. he hasn't eaten anything for a couple of months now, and it is really concerning us as he can not possibly be getting enough nutrition from the non-stop carbs he prefers! He has had cold-like symptoms for a few weeks and I'm pretty certain it is at least partly due to his diet.

Does anyone have any ideas how we can get him to start eating fruit & veg again? he is 9 now, so old enough not to be conned into eating things in most instances. I can "hide" some veg in meals like spag bol but I have to cut it into tiny, tiny peices as if it is big enough to pick out he will! I have done the talk about 5 a day, and I know they do that at school too. But like all kids, the concept of long term health issues is totally irrelevant to him. He does have a vitimin tablet each day, but I don't believe they area substitute, nor do i think that is a sloution to the real problem.

We always said we would not make mealtimes a battleground, but it has got to the point that DH has started on the "if you don't eat it now you'll get it back for breakfast" thing. I'm sure that won't work, but what will? Any advice?

I def. wouldn't be making an issue of it, if it was me, and it was for years and years! Will he eat dried fruit, raisins or something similar? Mashed banana sandwiches? My lad is now nearly 16 and we've been through hell in the past with food issues, but it does get better (I know, we didn't believe it either! :whistle: ). We're happy that now our lad will eat a slice of cucumber a day and a spoonful of carrots and the odd pea, it's progress though. If your lad is having a vitamin tablet each day I wouldn't worry too much. I certainly don't think forcing the issue is the way to go. If you can just keep offering fruit smoothies, strawberries and ice-cream or cucumber sandwiches, handfuls of raisins or whatever and don't make too much of a point of it if he doesn't eat it, then one day he'll surprise you and accept. I know it isn't each to not worry, we did, but the more you worry and fuss the bigger the problem becomes, that's what we found anyway. Take the pressure off and it becomes easier for them to free themselves up and try things.

~ Mel ~

does he prefer sweet or savoury? could you get him onto smoothies (we get the long life ones in pouches and the fresh cartons), or make cakes with veg hidden in - we make muffins with butternut squash in. they dont taste like it though! with the hidden veg, try using a hand blender to puree cooked veg rather than spend age chopping it up tiny, just be aware it'll make the sauce thicker and if you use too much carrot everything will go orange (learnt that one the hard way)

hopefully it's a phase and he'll get through it and next thing you know you'll be trying to force carbs into him cos he'll only eat veg. the trick with food is not to stress. plenty of NT kids have far worse diets, and they dont come out any the worse for it. if you keep things calm, keep putting it on his plate but just say 'okay' if he wont eat it eventually he should get over it, but if you make it stressful he'll become anxious about the foods and then it'll be a lot harder.

We've always tried to keep a laid back attitude about food. My mother successfully gave all four of her daughters eating disorders and I am determined not to pass that on!!!! I think i panicked because of his AS - I know that ignoring it is the best policy with NT kids :rolleyes:

But ignoring it this time seems to have just let him think he doesn't need to bother:( He used to eat cut up apple, juice (but not smoothies) and some veg, but one by one his "tastes have changed" and now he doesn't like anything that has a colour I think LOL. He never approved of dried fruit, youghurts or even fruit pies/crumble!

I guess I just have to keep trying and keep calm - and even harder, try to keep DH calm about the whole issue!

thanks to everyone.

I opened this post with great interest as for the past year all my little angel will eat is pot noodles, jam sandwiches and chapatis with butter. I would give anything for her to tuck into spaghetti bolognaise (with or without the veg) but she has firmly put her foot down. All I can say is if they look healthy and feel healthy then whats the harm. She will occasionaly eat a banana but then the next day she can't stand them. As with all things we go through with our kids, its a phase, an obsession. I really wouldn't worry. just go with the flow and eventually veg will be the new best thing on the planet that they can't possibly live without.

Hi, my son (15) has always been a fussy eater and I see a dietian for him-she is great and said never to worry about what i'm getting him to eat because he is eating!-it would be a worry if he wasn't eating anything!!

She also suggested things that have been suggested in the above posts (smoothies, blend veg and add it to things etc). One thing she has said and which has amazed me after thinking how on earth is this going to help. She suggested to have meal times as a buffet style (it can be more work-but I try to save things for another time). My son ate a dipped hash brown into curry-I couldn't believe it (it was only a small amount but it was fantastic) he has also tried small amounts of red cabbage & apple, and other bits. I think it takes the peasure off of him and he can choose what goes on his plate and where it goes!

he eats hundreds of lollies/icepops so I also freeze smothies into lollies which he will eat sometimes.

i wouldn't worry too much about it to be honest, he eats a lot healthyer than what i do, and i am still here! haha

i would reccomend a blender tho, i still blend my soup, its the only healthy thing i will eat.

Hi KezT

My eldest was a bit picky but always ate a little bit of everything. When he hit teens he got more hungry and so ate more. He'll eat pretty much anything now, but he doesn't like pies (for example) as when he cuts them they 'fall apart and are messy'. He tends to like foods that are 'separate' and not too hard.

My youngest has been/is extremely limited in his eating. Now he is 13, whilst consciously being aware he should eat more healthily it is still extremely difficult for him to face trying anything new. He gets very anxious about it. He has recently tried broccoli, lettuce and baby sweetcorn (and not liked any of them, but at least he tried). He will occasionally (about once a month) eat some apple slices. He will regularly eat a few slices of raw carrot and a few (about 4!) peas on a Sunday with his roast chicken and roast potatoes. He will eat cheese and crackers. Other than this it is all crisps, biscuits and cakes.

We tried the 'leave him and he'll eat when he's hungry enough'. Several times he went 4 days without eating anything at all. We spent 2 hours trying to get him to eat half a slice of carrot once. You can't realistically force a child to chew and swallow (I have tried in the past :oops: )

I have detected signs of his appetite increasing as he is currently undergoing a growth spurt, so here's hoping :pray: .

I know adults who are very restricted in their eating habits, so either forcing them made them like that, or forcing them had no effect at all !!! (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :whistle:

Does he eat much dairy?

not loads at the moment, although he likes cheese on his pasta, and the occasional milk shake or ice cream, so he gets enough.

Actually, I have taken a big breath and a step back (and locked DH out of the dining room for a week) and done what I always advise parents of younger children to do, which is keep a food diary. And guess what? he does get a fair range oif nutrition after all :thumbs::rolleyes::thumbs: In fact, over the week, if you add up the veg in various cooked foods, he probably eats an average amount (although nowhere near 5-a-day). Just no "fruit" or "veg" on their own.

MUST REMEMBER - sometimes it is just parental paranoia, and not a real problem at all LOL.

My littliest was a nightmare over pickiness! I would still present a healthy diet at each meal, including fruit and veg. If the food that is available is healthy and unprocessed at least you know that what he is eating will be good for him. I think the real problems start when kids have a restricted diet that is made up of processed, unhealthy food (even though I know it's so tempting when they are reluctant eaters).

Good luck!

Bid :)

I try not to get embarrassed when people say oh,what will he eat? :rolleyes: where shall i start breakfast, chocolate shreddies dry in a bowl and a cup of soya milk . Then buttered toast, ribena and sparkling water,with iQ added. Lunch. chips,yogut,drink same as brekkies and a peice of chocolate. snack 2 biscuits,wither jammie dogers,chocolate bourbons,choclate digestives. will drink capri suns now :whistle: dinner is red spagetti,of ragus sauce with either rice or spagetti,but they must all be red and a little spicey with cumin and some chilli,but not garlic,he hates garlic. Recenly i have got him eating chicken nuggets and alphabebet chips,he won't eat chips that are crinkled or swirly or too chunky. picnics, won't eat sandwiches,so he gets 2 packets of hula hoops,capri sun drink orange,and a peice of chocolate. and thats it. I did manage to get him to try some chocolate cake the other day,but he hasn't asked for more. Won't eat pizzas asks whats a crabby pate from sponge bob, its a burger,would you like one? :unsure::rolleyes: no he says. I so look forward to seeing him sink his teeth into a Big Mac. I cook roats dinners,want some ? no thank you i'll have chips.:wallbash: :pray:day He is growing fine,his bones are straight and strong.and he hardly gets ill. so what do i know. oh and last thing at night he has Farleys Rusks,which he loves. Won't try Ice cream,though he did in the park and will only eat ice cream in the park and no where else. oh the joys.:lol:

Edited by sesley

I have the exact same problem with DD. I have just found some pretty good PECS fussy food charts on Ebay. There is a set of normal foods to choose for a meal and a whole set of fruits and veg. It's a wall chart with a bunch of velcro laminated cards and there is a "I will try..." section. I have just ordered some and will let everyone know how we get on. My daughter is very responsive to charts and reward type stuff so I am hoping to put a new fruit and veg on a couple of times a week to see if I can find something that she will eat.