Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Windows Movie Maker

Does anyone have any experience of Windows Movie Maker and can anyone help me before my laptop does a poor impression of an aeroplane outta the window :o

It keeps crashing on me: if I move something it crashes, if I adjust an effect it crashes, if I try to save it it crashes, I swear it's got it in for me!!! (it's just the programme - I can go through task manager to close it)

I typed WMM keeps crashing into Google and brought up hundreds of hits so clearly this is a common problem. However, most of the fixes I didn't have a clue about - they kept going on about codec :huh: - never heard of it (although I did assume it came with a coant :whistle:). I found one fix on you tube which I could follow with a download, but I'm just not sure. There's no way of verifying it and if it is dodgy and kills my laptop I'll be in serious trouble as I'm not supposed to download anything.

Does anyone know of any common reason this might happen - I wondered if I was confusing it because it started off fine, it's as I've added lots more clips, transitions and text to my movie it's started to complain? I've tried restarting my computer as I did have lots of programmes running and just using WMM but the same thing still happens. :(

Is there another programme I can use that does that same thing that doesn't crash and is simpler to use?

Any help gratefully received :)

Hi mumble - I think WMM has always been a bit 'buggy' and a bit processor heavy. I've never actually used it, but part of the reason why is becaiuse i heard all those things befor i ever tried!

If you want to do some serious editing and you have a fairly fast machine adobe premier elements has a good reputation. Cheaper (and IMO less processor heavy/easier) is magix Movie edit (probably now called something completely different - I haven't done any movie editing for years)...

Magix always used to offer a demo version so you could 'try before you buy', but you could probably find an older version (just make sure it's vista compatable if you are running vista) dirt cheap on amazon or somewhere second hand...

Hope that's helpful

L&P

BD :D

Hi mumble - I think WMM has always been a bit 'buggy' and a bit processor heavy. I've never actually used it, but part of the reason why is becaiuse i heard all those things befor i ever tried!

If you want to do some serious editing and you have a fairly fast machine adobe premier elements has a good reputation. Cheaper (and IMO less processor heavy/easier) is magix Movie edit (probably now called something completely different - I haven't done any movie editing for years)...

Magix always used to offer a demo version so you could 'try before you buy', but you could probably find an older version (just make sure it's vista compatable if you are running vista) dirt cheap on amazon or somewhere second hand...

Hope that's helpful

Thanks BD, I'll look into those others see what I can get second hand, because WMM is just irritating (even when it's not crashing, for instance, if you change your mind and insert or make longer a clip, it doesn't change any text overlay times so everything is out of sync :wallbash:)

I downloaded one trial programme (Videopad) which seems good but because it's a trial you get a watermark stuck across your video - it's OK for what I need at the moment, but even with the WMM flaws I'm actually quite enjoying it and would like to try a proper programme.

Thanks for your help :)