SWJ

I Need Advice

Hello,

Im asking for any advice anyone could give me. I have recently being diagnosed with aspergers syndrome and having trouble coming to terms with it all. I've always felt different and isolated. I suffer from anxiety on which im on medication for and still struggle with OCD tendancies. I have to turn around when im half way somewhere to check ive done everything; and i know i have...just need confirmation three or four times and still worry about it.

I dont struggle as much with being in groups but when i am one-to-one with people i do. I struggle with eye contact which some of my friends are noticing.

I say i have a lot of friends but looking at it i do not. I float around year round with different cirlces of friends and find myself attached to one for a while and then not at all.

I have lots more to say but my head is so "blagged" by it all.

Would be good to hear from anyone else that is going through this or for someone to tell me how they dealt with it all

Thanks.

Ive been diagnosed with OCD and I am being referred for diagnosis of aspergers, I feel good about this hopefully I will get better support in the future

Paul.

Hello

Welcome to the world of Asperger syndrome, I guess you are thinking "ok so what next?" Your fear of not being accepted

will hopefully ease as it was something i experienced after many years of bullying.

"Congratulations you have Asperger syndrome" you are not mad, bad or defective but you have a different

way of thinking that you share with other people.

What do you like about yourself?

With me i like my detailed orientated abilities in stamp collecting and star trek. Also my ability to empathise with

other autistics and folk who've been in similar situations to me.

What do other people like about you?

My sense of humour and my cross stitch embroidery. If they want an honest answer they can ask me!

useful resources (moderators have my permission to put these in a separate file if they feel the need to)

Heres are some things ive found help me with everyday asperger life. i hope they can help you as well.

"what is asperger syndrome and how will it affect me?" National autistic society (NAS publications)

That is an excellent to start with book as it's aimed at people like you who have just found out about Asperger syndrome.

"Information shortcuts for people with ASD", http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=119 (NAS website).

Attending the local social groups (ask your regional officer for more details)

One way of meeting other asperger folk another way is asking the NAS for a befriender but i hear thats got a waiting list.

Asking questions on safe forums such as this one (only been here a few weeks and feel at home in some areas already).

Meeting other asperger folk, my longest friendship with an asperger is 14 years and counting (we met in college).

Joining the NAS for £10 (more if a parent or carer without ASD joins).

Applying for DLA even if you think you wont get it as its not dependant on income.

Subscribe to Asperger United, the newspaper for and by autistics.

Try joining groups related to your interests.

Alexis

Edited by trekster

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

DIagnosis is a difficult time. Did you suspect Asperger's for a while before your diagnosis, or has it come as a surprise?

I had already suspected I had AS and my diagnosis came as a relief, but I also felt quite sad about having my difficulties confirmed - and also seeing written reports detailing difficulties I hadn't previously realised I had. I found that I did get used to it, though my view on things still changes and develops two years after diagnosis, which I think is part of the process of coming to terms with it.

It sounds like you are also suffering with anxiety/paranoia/OCD. These things are often much more disabling than the Asperger's. Hopefully your diagnosis will be key to finding appropriate treatments for these mental health problems.

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

DIagnosis is a difficult time. Did you suspect Asperger's for a while before your diagnosis, or has it come as a surprise?

I had already suspected I had AS and my diagnosis came as a relief, but I also felt quite sad about having my difficulties confirmed - and also seeing written reports detailing difficulties I hadn't previously realised I had. I found that I did get used to it, though my view on things still changes and develops two years after diagnosis, which I think is part of the process of coming to terms with it

Thats my take on my diagnosis, NAS did a report a while ago asking if autism "was a label or a signpost". To me it is a signpost to recognise my particular take on the world.

It sounds like you are also suffering with anxiety/paranoia/OCD. These things are often much more disabling than the Asperger's. Hopefully your diagnosis will be key to finding appropriate treatments for these mental health problems.

Personally i find the dyslexia harder to deal with than the mental health side of the Aspergers, since it relates to my misreading things and disorganisation.

Alexis