Kathryn

Good news for us

After attending an interview today at the local FE college, my daughter was given the news that she has been granted unconditional acceptance on to an Access course, starting in September. :thumbs:

Access is for people who want to go to Uni but do not have the required GCSE and A level qualifications. If she passes she will be eligible to apply to go to university in September 2010.

My daughter's turbulent school history is well documented on this forum. She left school in October '04 just after starting year 11. Whilst she underwent a complete mental and emotional breakdown, we tried and failed to get a statement for her. After a year at home, she ended up at our local FE college on a course designed for students with moderate to severe learning disabilities. This was all that was available for her in our county. She was there for 3 years and whilst the support and sheltered atmosphere helped her to regain some of her shattered self worth, it did nothging for her academic progress.

Last year at the same college she did a BTec diploma in IT, which was not the right course for her, although she tried her best with it and managed to excel in some aspects of it. However she did not do enough work to be awarded the full diploma.

So I am very proud that she has got this far despite so many setbacks - now she has realised that she really does want to go to Uni, she is one step closer to achieving her goal and is really happy.

I just wanted to share this news with all those who have advised and supported me on the forum over the years, and to give hope to those whose child's educational future appears as bleak as my daughter's did 5 years ago.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Aww Kathryn, that's brilliant news :thumbs: :thumbs: - and great that it's unconditional as it removes a source of potential worry. Will she have any specific support?

Is it an entirely general course or does she have any options? What does she want to possibly do at university?

Oh I feel so happy and proud and she is not my daughter!!!!!!! It just goes to show when you want something bad enough it will happen.She has come so far and she will keep rising to the top.I know there are so many young people just lying about doing nothing its great that someone in your daughters position is able to get up each day and give it her all.Well done and well done to her very special mummy!

Thanks all

>:D<<'>

Will she have any specific support?

Is it an entirely general course or does she have any options? What does she want to possibly do at university?

She has to fill in the inevitable form about her support needs. I think, as she's been at the college for 4 years already, there are a lot of staff who know her needs and want to help her succeed, so that's an advantage. The college have been reasonably good at supporting her so far, although she's not always good at recognising when she needs help and asking for it.

I'm not absolutely clear myself about the content of the course. It's Access to Humanities and Social Science, and I think she does 6 subjects. There are core subjects, but she does have options which I think include English, sociology psychology history and law, among others. I don't think she's got a firm view on what she'd like to do at university but at the moment she's thinking of English and Sociology.

I've been trawling the net for information on funding - I think she's eligible for free tuition fees still - I hope so! She enrols on Tuesday.

K x

Thanks all

>:D<<'>

She has to fill in the inevitable form about her support needs. I think, as she's been at the college for 4 years already, there are a lot of staff who know her needs and want to help her succeed, so that's an advantage. The college have been reasonably good at supporting her so far, although she's not always good at recognising when she needs help and asking for it.

I'm not absolutely clear myself about the content of the course. It's Access to Humanities and Social Science, and I think she does 6 subjects. There are core subjects, but she does have options which I think include English, sociology psychology history and law, among others. I don't think she's got a firm view on what she'd like to do at university but at the moment she's thinking of English and Sociology.

I've been trawling the net for information on funding - I think she's eligible for free tuition fees still - I hope so! She enrols on Tuesday.

K x

The course content sounds really interesting.I would not mind joining your daughter on that course.

I will be very interested in how the course goes.I left school before A levels to do nursing myself and am wondering how to access further education in my old age. :D

Karen.

Would like to know how you get on with the free tuition fees Kathryn, maybe for T next year, good luck and congratulations once again.

Teresa :) WOO HOO!!

I think it's free under the "level 3 entitlement" rules - as far as I can see, because of level of course she's doing, and her age (under 25). Will let you know how we get on.

It's all happening a bit fast though, she has to start the uni application process in September, so she's trying to research courses at the moment. I'm not very clued up myself though as I know very little about the higher educatuon system. I didn't do my first degree in the UK.

K x

:thumbs: Fabulous news, well done, I wish her the best for her future, the course sounds really good, hope that things get sorted out in time, love JsMumxxx :thumbs:

Bit late to this thread, sorry!

It has been a long and ioften difficult journey for bothof you over the last few years so I am thrilled with your news!

Simon

Well she officially enrolled today and it all went smoothly and she can't wait to start. She is eligible for free tuition (thank goodness!) because it's her first level 3 course and she's under 25. She's doing 3 core subjects:maths, IT and communications and then 4 other subjects: sociology, psychology, history and Enlish language/literature. Quite intensive for a year, but the core subjects shouldn't be too much of an effort as she has been doing similar things over the previous 3 years.

Now all she has to do is find a university that will take her. :pray:

K x