Sign in to follow this  
chris54

Swine Flu.

My wife has said that she will definitely have the vaccination for swine flu if offered, She has asthma so should be on the sort list. I work in social care so may be on the short list for that but may also be on the short list as I am down as my wife's main carer .

I'm not so sure.

As recently reported a fairly large number of nurses have said they will not be getting vaccinated for swine flu.

I just listen to a bit on the radio, It would appear that only I in 10 and maybe as low as 1 in 20 of the people who have been given tamiflu actually have swine flu. The others have, well who knows what. One women who's daughter was diagnosed over the phone as having swine flu and given tamiflu, later it turned out to be an ear infection?

So are the risks from swine flu any grater than seasonal flu and are any risks of having the vaccine worth taking?

I will probably go with vaccination. It will be 2 injections a week apart for this one.

I work in social care too, but I don't think I will have the vacs.

DS#1 has already had probably SF, treated with Tamiflu, and think DD#1 might have flirted with it too although I didn't contact the GP.

Not sure if I will let the three younger ones have the vacs as although they all have asthma, I'm a bit concerned about the possible side effects in children :unsure:

More to worry about!

Bid :wacko:

I'm having the vaccine as soon as it is available. I have severe asthma and have spent enough time in hospital in the past year. Along with the usual seasonal vaccine it will mean three injections this year.

Hi.I do not know exactly where the original research came from however one report quoted on five live last week stated that tamiflu has not been shown to reduce the severity of respiratory symptoms in those with asthma who develop swine flu.So for those with asthma it may well be worth considering immunisation.

The latest advice from the world heath organisation reported today was that tamiflu is no longer reccomended for otherwise well individuals.They state that swine flu for most people is a relatively mild illness that is over in about 7 days.

From personal experience I had swine flu and was not offered tamiflu.I felt pretty awful for about 7 days.My son had swine flu and was given tamiflu but he did not appear to recover any more quickly than myself.

On a light note.My borough was the swine flu hot spot for the world a few weeks ago.

During the first week of increasing cases families were placed in isolation,there was talk of schools closing and tamiflu was advised urgently.

Within another couple of weeks schools were no longer closed and families were no longer isolated even sibblings were advised to remain in school if well.GPs decided that tamiflu was no longer required for otherwise well individuals.

By the third week the GP response amounted to large signs on clinic doors advising those with swine flu to go home,stay there, drink lots of water ,take over the counter flu remedies ,don't bother us and on no acount enter the surgery. :devil:

Karen.

Trying to decide about DD1 - going a little back and forwards - but now we have a not home from school which has to be returned in 2 days - they are starting vaccination in mid october

We won't vaccinate, but are all in good health apart from DS (and we think he's had it). The virus that everybody came home from Morocco with was identical to the one we thought was SF, so I think everybody except for me has had whatever they are going to have.

I have asthma and have had 3 chest infections and 1 episode of pneumonia this year. I would not take Tamiflu or swine flu injection. Will wait till several thousand people have had it and than get the REAL side effect data.

I have asthma and have had 3 chest infections and 1 episode of pneumonia this year. I would not take Tamiflu or swine flu injection. Will wait till several thousand people have had it and than get the REAL side effect data.

Tamiflu has been taken by several million people for several years across several continents :rolleyes: There is LOADS of very good research out there about it.

Ditto for the seasonal flu vaccine, of which the SF one is a varient....

we have all been offered it due to asthma, age and working in social care but we have all declined the offer

Am sure DP and DD2 & DD3 had it last year plus DS too, was just me and DD1 that escaped it. Never got them tamiflu either as I am a firm believer in allowing the body to work through its own immunity system where possible