Sign in to follow this  
lynne

english worksheets for 11 year olds

I have a 12 year old with dyslexia and ASD who struggles with english. I am looking for worksheets I can use with my son to help him with his understanding of comprehension and how to answer questions correctly.

I have brought sats book but they do not forefill what I need.

Does anyone know of any good books or worksheets I can buy which we help my son grow in confidence with his reading and comprehension. Although he scored level 4 in his sats last year he lacks confidence and really stuggles with english.

Many thanks for your help

Lynne

You might find some useful stuff on here: http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/index.htm to go over the skills he struggles with. IIRC it's a free resource.

For KS3 this is quite a good one http://www.parentsintouch.co.uk/, though you will have to register and pay a small subscription to access all the worksheets (some are free though).

Karen

x

I have a 12 year old with dyslexia and ASD who struggles with english. I am looking for worksheets I can use with my son to help him with his understanding of comprehension and how to answer questions correctly.

I have brought sats book but they do not forefill what I need.

Does anyone know of any good books or worksheets I can buy which we help my son grow in confidence with his reading and comprehension. Although he scored level 4 in his sats last year he lacks confidence and really stuggles with english.

Many thanks for your help

Lynne

Does your son read books at home, If so is there something that he really likes to read about. Maybe some below age books to start with.

My son have problems with English but I cant imagine him sitting down and doing work sheets at home.

But he loves reading now, always liked to be read to. We now often find him sat in bed in the morning reading his science books. And we have to keep an eye on what time he puts his light out, will sit up all night reading given the chance. By the way he is 9.

IMO this is something that a Speech Therapist could work on. If he is not under a speech therapist then the fact that he has problems with comprehension should be something the school refer him to the SALT for, so I would speak to his SALT or school about this.

Understanding stories (and infact any verbal or written information) and giving relevant narrative information is one of the difficulties my son has which is listed in his Statement as an area to be worked on by SALT. This type of problem shows that there is probably a speech disorder and therefore needs the input of a SALT. When my son was assessed privately, one of the things she did was to tell him a short story and then ask him what the story was about. He gave her some information, but he did not seem able to recognise what the key features of the story were, or what the point of the dialogue was, or what the outcome was.

When my son tries to tell me something funny he saw on TV he does not give me the information I need to understand what he is talking about or what happened. I have to ask him questions eg. did you see it on TV, who are you talking about, what did they do, why was it funny etc.

Again, I think that this is something a professional SALT with experience of speech disorders and ASDs needs to assess and look at because language is not going to be making an awful lot of sense to him. You can also google Semantic Pragmatic Speech Disorder and see if that sounds relevant.

My son has severe receptive and expressive language disorder.

Having problems with comprehension comes under the area of RECEPTIVE LANGUAGE. On my son's recent report, comprehension is explained as "a childs ability to understand spoken or written language". I agree with Sally that you need to get this checked out by a qualified Speech and Language Pathologist or therapist. They can look in detail as to whether your son has difficulty with things like CONCEPTS "things like time, textures, positions, also SENTENCE STRUCTURE AND GRAMMER, SINGLE WORD COMPREHENSION, HIGHER LEVEL LANGUAGE, PRAGMATICS, and whether he can understand things such as INFERENCE and PREDICTION. My son also has problems with AUDITORY MEMORY so, for example in a test, he cant hold the words in his head long enough to work out which one is correct. Speech & Language is such a complex area it really needs a professional to weed out exactly what the problem is.

I have never had much success with worksheets. However, I would recommend using software if you can find something age appropriate as often children with language problems have a much stronger visual channel. If he were younger, I would recommend Reader Rabbit which my son spent hours using and loved. I believe there is a programe called Education City which is online I think and supposed to be very good, although I am not sure what age it goes up to. Oxford Reading Tree do CD Roms that go with their books, which were also excellent but again, I feel these would be too young for a 12 year old.

Good luck with it.

Having problems with comprehension comes under the area of RECEPTIVE LANGUAGE. On my son's recent report, comprehension is explained as "a childs ability to understand spoken or written language". I agree with Sally that you need to get this checked out by a qualified Speech and Language Pathologist or therapist. They can look in detail as to whether your son has difficulty with things like CONCEPTS "things like time, textures, positions, also SENTENCE STRUCTURE AND GRAMMER, SINGLE WORD COMPREHENSION, HIGHER LEVEL LANGUAGE, PRAGMATICS, and whether he can understand things such as INFERENCE and PREDICTION. My son also has problems with AUDITORY MEMORY so, for example in a test, he cant hold the words in his head long enough to work out which one is correct. Speech & Language is such a complex area it really needs a professional to weed out exactly what the problem is.

I have never had much success with worksheets. However, I would recommend using software if you can find something age appropriate as often children with language problems have a much stronger visual channel. If he were younger, I would recommend Reader Rabbit which my son spent hours using and loved. I believe there is a programe called Education City which is online I think and supposed to be very good, although I am not sure what age it goes up to. Oxford Reading Tree do CD Roms that go with their books, which were also excellent but again, I feel these would be too young for a 12 year old.

Sounds like my son (8) has similar problems. Auditory processing disorder, poor auditory memory. He is not reading or writing independently yet and it is suspected he has dyslexia. School are using Precision Teaching amongst other things. What software did your son use at around this stage in school? I would like to talk to the school/speech therapist about how we move forward as we need to find something that motivates him. What is Reader Rabbit and at what learning stage did you use it?

As my son has auditory memory problems - yet he can listen to a DVD and repeat it vertabum - he has started to repeat the last thing he says in each sentence, almost as a reminder of what he has just said eg. "Can I watch Dr. Who , who , who - because I want to see the one with the cybermen, en , en". Did you son ever do this? It is like the last word or sylabel in his sentence is an echo. This is something new that I want to speak with the SALT about.

Good luck with it.

Good luck with it.

Sounds like my son (8) has similar problems. Auditory processing disorder, poor auditory memory. He is not reading or writing independently yet and it is suspected he has dyslexia. School are using Precision Teaching amongst other things. What software did your son use at around this stage in school? I would like to talk to the school/speech therapist about how we move forward as we need to find something that motivates him. What is Reader Rabbit and at what learning stage did you use it?

As my son has auditory memory problems - yet he can listen to a DVD and repeat it vertabum - he has started to repeat the last thing he says in each sentence, almost as a reminder of what he has just said eg. "Can I watch Dr. Who , who , who - because I want to see the one with the cybermen, en , en". Did you son ever do this? It is like the last word or sylabel in his sentence is an echo. This is something new that I want to speak with the SALT about.

Many people think that developmental dyslexia and specific language disorders are different manifestations of the same thing - a phonological problem. There are papers on that theory written by Professor Dorothy Bishop who is an eminent academic studying speech & language disorders at Oxford University. Also, receptive language difficulties are very common in ASD children - although my son language difficulties are apparently not related to the autism (the experts tell me) !!!

Reader Rabbit was a series of CD Roms which I bought at PC World. They basically covered literacy and numeracy skills at the KS1 stage, but I believe they went up to a higher age than that. There were another series called Knowledge Adventure. I am pretty sure I have seen them in PC world quite recently. I taught my boys at home for half a term when H was at the end of Year 2 and found them invaluable. They are quite an old format though, so beware if you have Windows Vista that the CDS will run on that new operating system. When H was 8 he started at the school for speech & language problems and lost interest in the CDs - but then he was getting all the help he needed at school and more. In fact, I actually sold them all at a car boot sale last weekend - otherwise I could have sent them to you ! The Oxford Reading Tree CDs came from a company called Sherston Software and were rather expensive but very good - and they went up to a much higher level. They also use Clicker software but thats relatively expensive.

H still has major problems with writing which is apparently down to dyspraxia and visual perceptual and motor planning difficulties. My son does not actually have a dx of dyslexia but on one of his reports it says that using this term is useful when describing his difficulties.

Its such a complex area I get confused by it all, but I hope that helps. I can PM you the name of the school but its usually a solicitor job to get in there. My son is now in YEar 6 and we are contemplating the next move !!!!!! Stress.

Thanks for all the information it will help me move forward.

My son was having group speech and language therapy but the speech therapist and the school feels he would benefit more from a one to one approach. So from September he will be having a one to one.

Thanks for all the information it will help me move forward.

My son was having group speech and language therapy but the speech therapist and the school feels he would benefit more from a one to one approach. So from September he will be having a one to one.

That is good that they have recognised that fact. But it would be useful to have a chat with the SALT about your areas of concern with your son. Remember to mention the social interaction/language problems he has as well because that is also the remit of the SALT as well as your concerns regarding his understanding and use of language from an academic point of view. Then follow that up with a letter so that you have evidence of what was discussed and what the SALT said. Also discuss and include in the letter how this SALT therapy is going to be practised in school ie. is the SALT going to do a weekly session herself and a TA follow that up on a daily basis in school and will that be included on his daily timetable. Will they generalise that into other environments and with other people (ie. into the playground and with children and other adults in school).

Does he go to a Social Club or similar. The SALT should have some input into that. And again any therapy sessions that are working on the social use of language need to be practised during playtimes/dinnertimes and in the classroom with a TA that has observed the session carried out by the therapist.