Sa Skimrande

ASD Musicians ?

Hi, I am going to ask about musicians with ASD, are there any recognised musicians known to be with Aspergers syndrome ?

And for the rest of you, especially those that are Asperger's diagnosed, and play a musical instrument, I have to ask, how do you do it ?

I ask, because I have always wanted to play a musical instrument, and have tried many throughout my life from when I was at school, right up to now, instruments to include, Recorder, Flute, Guitar, Bodhran, and now Doumbek. My history is, I would learn the basics but after that it would become a confusion to me. I have analysed what it is that I do, and have come to the conclusion I am seeking a logic to playing music, I am looking for a pattern, but have difficulty when trying to analyse music I hear, in that I cannot seem to remember a sequence beyond five beats. I also when I actually seem to be playing by what I hear, then go automatically into analysis mode, and there I stuff it up and can't repeat, or turn off the analysis.So, if I am seeking a logic with an analogue instrument, how can I play an instrument with any success ?

I also research everything about a chosen instrument before I attempt to even think about playing it, and it seems, I put off playing it and console myself with further research into rhythms and such.

So, I ask, those of you here and play an instrument, do you recognise yourself in anything I say, and can offer a way of turning off or at least coping with my musical nature and a way to push forward ?

( Interestingly, it is the same with my dancing, the moves, yep, no probs, I remember the name and movement, but struggle to put it together into a choreography, when this happens, I forget the moves and when I remember those, I forget the choreography)

Edited by Sa Skimrande

Hi

I can certainly identify with the dancing!!! And although I don't have a formal dx, both my children do and I know now for sure my father is ASD.

OJ is musical in that he can sing, quite beautifully, and will perform in front of audiences of 500 people and his tics disappear and he is completely at peace with himself. He desperately wants to learn an instrument and I have tried to find piano and guitar teachers who would be empathatic with him and teach him in the way that he needs, to no avail as yet. He picks up his guitar and strums chords that he was shown by my cousin about 4 years ago but can't seem to hear what he needs to go forward with it, and I know that so many people are self taught.

So, I'm not sure that helps really but hello anyway!!!

Stella xx

Don't know of any Aspie musicians, though surely there must be some out there :unsure:

I play electric guitar and bass (a bit ;) ), but I can't read music, or even tabulation; the information just won't compute! So I developed my own method of writing music. I don't know any scales; know a few chords, but mainly I just play until I hear something I like, then write it down. I have a drum machine too, but have a lot of trouble playing the guitar/bass in time to the drum tracks. I only play my own music, by the way--I just cannot figure out other peoples songs :(

I've been playing the gopichand for a while too, and I find it really satisfying in that I can get some good rhythms going with it without any musical knowledge. I intend to make my own tumbi at some point, too :) Maybe something like that would suit you to start with--only the one string to worry about!

I can relate to the research side of things: I'm always catching myself obssessing over minor details, usually about the instruments themselves, such as alternate tunings, string gauges etc. I've even started building an instrument, an electric dotara (never seen an electric one before so I figured "why not?" :D )

Syd Barret of Pink Floyd.

I have tried a few musical instruments. When I was at school I could never read music, but to learn violin and then sax, I had to learn to read music. I can play some, I can only play reading music though. Cant remember more than a bar without the music sheet.

This guy has AS and creates his own music.

http://www.aspievision.co.uk/

Look for LektroiD - Active Drone ...Sol

Edited by BillyX

I haven't played an instrument in about 10 years now :( I found it quite relaxing and tried a lot of different brass instruments, my favourites were euphonium, trumpet and trombone :thumbs: I tried to learn the guitar but couldn't get the hang of it really.

Autistic musicians definitely exist! :thumbs:

No, not me ... but the Autism Research Centre (ARC) (based in Cambridge) occasionally holds "Autism, Art & Music" concerts, specifically for musicians with autism. The last one was held in London's West End, at the Savoy Theatre, no less, in October last year, with Jools Holland (an ARC patron) hosting! B) I don't know if they're planning another one this year or not. :unsure: But their web site might be worth keeping an eye on if you're interested. :)

James

Hello,

I can play recorder quite well, I learnt whilst at school, I can't read music, but they didn't know that! I just used to start at the page and look like I was reading it. I could copy what everyone else was doing though and remember it, or play it just by listening to it. I can also play the piano (well, I have a keyboard), but again, I can't read music. It's more difficult for me to play that by ear, but I have taught myself to play Fur Elise, and someone else taught me how to play a song by Enya. But that's where my ability stops. I can't seem to learn anything new anymore. I have tried over and over to learn to read music, but I can't look at the sheet, process what it all means and play the notes without looking. None of it happens fast enough for it to sound legible. I also cannot dance. I can remember what it is to do, but I can't put it all together and keep in time with the music. Again, things happen to fast for me to process it all in time. I once tried to play the guitar, but it was too fiddly. I also sing, but that's not really an instrument! I also try to find logic. Well, I sort of try to find a logical reason for my being able to play. It doesn't serve a purpose, so I sometimes don't want to do it because I don't understand what it's for. And then I decided that it's because I enjoy it. Mostly. It does annoy me that I can't read music, or play more fluently though. :o(

This is me playing Fur Elise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azbn4I3kBOE

This is me playing the Enya song I mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmIoISZjSnM...feature=related

The only two things I can play fully and fluently!

I'm not sure what to tell you really, because I still haven't really got over any of the issues I have with playing instruments, so I guess this was all a bit pointless me saying. But there you go!

Good luck with finding an instrument,

From Willow

All of the artists I could think of were already mentioned.

I play drums. I'm in a punk band. I can read some drum music.

I can play recorder/tin whistle by ear.

I played a little guitar and bass, but only a little and haven't practised in a while and have forgotten most of what I knew. Would like to practise more and improve. However, I can play a little by ear.

All of the artists I could think of were already mentioned.

I play drums. I'm in a punk band. I can read some drum music.

Cool. Do you play your own stuff or other people's? What's your influences and style, old school or more modern?

I can't play any instruments unfortunately. I would reckon on quite a few musicians being autistic or having Aspergers. I can think of some that I think would be, but that aren't especially diagnosed.

:)

Thanks Gavin

You're right, that's even the article I read, I could remember the picture but not who it was !!

The fact that I thought it was recently makes me feel very old, time is now obviously flashing by at an alarming rate. That article is nearly a year old !!

Cheers,

smallworld

Hi,

my ds(10) has suspected ASD/AS and has not been dx yet but is recently refered to the paediatrician for dx. I have been teaching him piano since he was 3 and a half year old in order to help him speaking (his speech was delayed) and improve his concentration. I am a piano teacher. Music helped him a lot also to build his self confidance and esteem. He performed in front of the whole school last term with a success and enjoyed it. He does not like to practice, though, because he finds the reading notes particularly difficult but once he masters them he can play with ease and nicely. What he finds difficult about reading notes is the fact that he cannot generalise so he had to read each note separately every time he sees it and that requires a lot of concentration and patience. The best success he has when we breake the piece in a very small bits,one bar at a time and build it up slowly until he masters the whole song. I have tried with him more complicated pieces but he finds them very hard. I dont want him to loose interst and to get frustrated because of that so we are moving at his own pace.

If you have annalitical mind and get lost perhaps you can try the same approach: bit by bit but first start with one and learn then next one then put them together. After that learn the next bit and dont move on up until you start from the beginning and make sure that you remember all the other bits. Be patient with yourself and dont move too quickly no matter how much you are tempted. Choose easier songs at first.

Another thing you can try is listen to the recording and find the score of the piece so you can follow visually what you are listening.

I hope this will help.

Danaxxx

Cool. Do you play your own stuff or other people's? What's your influences and style, old school or more modern?

Both and both! We've only been playing together for a few months and so far have ten songs, eight of our own and two covers. :)

We're a bit of a mix stylewise, really.

My DS is a very talented in the music department and yes there are quite a few famous peeps in the music world who are on the spectrum. My DS could tell you them all but alas I cannot, he has told me but I cannot recall any of them.

I once heard Lorna Wing claim that Erik Satie was an Aspie.

i play guitar and go through phases of enjoyment with it that usually last months at a time

i have no interest in learning to read music, i have no interest in making up my own music, the only thing i like doing with my guitar is copying songs and playing them learning by using simple numeric guitar tabs

i listen to a lot of music and every now and then i will be impressed with the riffs used in certain songs so i will learn them

the process of learning something new is difficult for me, but i do enjoy learning to master the physical demands of a song but i dislike having to remember and learn the notes