Tally

Applying for a Job

I have just written my application for a job as a receptionist in the vet. I will hand it in in the morning.

I would love to work with cats!

Wish me luck!!!

Edited by Tally

I have just written my application for a job as a receptionist in the vet. I will hand it in in the morning.

I would love to work with cats!

Wish me luck!!!

Ooooh good luck Tally :pray:

I handed it in this morning!

They have two jobs advertised, one is for 20 hours per week spread over five days, and the other is for a full time job. Ideally I want to work 4 days per week as full time is more than I can cope with and 20 hours is not enough money. They have been advertising for at least 6 weeks, so I think they might be willing to accommodate this. I just have to wait and see now!

I don't think it will be the perfect job by any means. I will be dealing with members of the public, some of whom may be upset about their animal being ill, and others who may be angry about the cost of treatment. Even though I would sit behind a desk, I will still have to come into closer contact with dogs than I would like. I am applying for this job because I think it will be a higher rate of pay and I might get a few more hours too. It also might give me access to types of training I am not currently aware of.

I have not heard anything from the vet, so I assume they are not interested. Since I was not exactly applying for either of the jobs they advertised, it is not a big surprise.

However, I have applied for a Sunday job in a shop selling household items and kitchen wares. I don't work Sundays in the dry cleaners, so I can do both. I think I have a good chance with this one. They pay is good and I might be able to make good use of the staff discount for items for my new house!

Edited by Tally

Shame about the vet, but good luck for the other job. If you get it, and it goes well, they might offer you more hours.

K x

I am hoping I might eventually get more hours and work just there. It's also near to my new house, though it's a bit of a trek from where I am living at the moment.

They just phoned up today and asked me to go in to see them tomorrow. I think I made myself look completely stupid on the phone though because I couldn't understand what she meant and kept giving her the wrong answers.

She kept saying, "are you fixed up?" I didn't know what she meant, I thought she was asking if I had an interview arranged, but by the end of the call it emerged she wanted to know whether I had found a job yet or was I still interested. This was further confused because when she asked if I had a job I told her that I did have a part time job, and she thought that meant I did not want the job any more.

She obviously hadn't actually ready my application, because I said in it that I had a part time job, but needed to increase my income and was available Sundays. My CV was on a separate piece of paper and the covering letter had only three sentences on it. It's hard to see how they have managed to misunderstand my situation.

Anyway, they have asked me to come in and see them tomorrow morning. Even this was confusing because she kept telling me what her name was: "it's Norah," only I thought she was asking me to confirm my name: "it's Laura?" and kept replying, "yes."

Hopefully I can come across as less of an idiot tomorrow.

That's brilliant - good luck. :pray:

If they refer to the call, just say it was a very bad line and you couldn't hear. :whistle::rolleyes:

K x

I think it went quite well :)

I think most of their applicants would be students, so my previous experience in retail might give me the edge over students.

I said that if I got the job, I hoped that eventually a vacancy might come up and I could do more hours and guve up my other job, as I would prefer to have only one job. She seemed to take that as a positive thing. I met a few of the other staff as the supervisor led me through the shop, and they all seemed very nice, which is a positive sign.

The supervisor who interviewed me said the store manager would want to meet all the candidates she short-listed and asked if I would be able to come in - so it sounds like I am on her short-list :)

:thumbs::thumbs:

That sounds positive.I hope you get through to the next stage.

Karen.

Yep, good luck with that.

I'm in the same boat as yourself, as my business has been hit by the recession, and i'm starting to look and apply for jobs now.