Sign in to follow this  
AlishaJ

Would my son be entitled to a R.A.D.A.R Key?

My son is 6 years old and was diagnosed with Aspergers in Jan of this year. He has a real fear/dislike/hatered of hand driers. We never make him use one (he will panic if someone else does)he is so frightened of them he'll try and wash his hands with his arms covering his ears. After having to cover his ears for him while he washed his hands while keeping my 2 year old close to us today has been a nightmare. Almost every disabled toilet we found needed a R.A.D.A.R key. I also started thinking how long can he keep coming into the ladies with me and while my husband can take him into the mens he isn't always with us.

If he is entitled to one how do we go about getting one?

Thank you

Alisha

Yes, we have one. Just go on their site (Google "radar key" Make sure your in their site) and order one, I think they cost £3.50. You can also get them from some council offices.

My son is just the same as yours , Hand driers :crying:

Edited by chris54

Thank you Chris was nearly in tears yesterday from all the odd looks and tsks directed his way watched a woman in Debenhams stand and stare at him opened mouthed! Will see if our local office sells them if not I'll order one.

Alisha

My son responds in the same way to hand dryers. If he is covering his ears that sounds like the noise of the handryers is upsetting him. It could be the volume, pitch, or the suddeness of them coming on/off as all you have to do nowadays is walk past one for it to suddenly start blasting away. If noise in general upsets him, then you could consider buying a pair of DIY ear defenders from somewhere like B&Q. My son wore those every time we went out. They take the edge off the noise. And, at that stage, I also found it helpful for him to be wearing the headphones because it made people 'think' before they commented on his behaviour. Sometimes the best approach is to try not to get upset but try to be happy and smiling and just say 'I'm sorry my son is autistic, and noise really upsets him'. I have used that before when he was lying on the floor kicking and screaming whilst I was trying to order some food in a supermarket cafe. And it did make a difference. Infact the cashier said to me 'you don't need to apologise', which of course was true - but autism is invisible and people do make judgements.

At my son's school he was having problems going to the toilet. The school looked at all kinds of things, but didn't even notice the hand dryers and that they might be a problem!

Hope the RADAR key solves your problems. But also I would ask for a referal to an Occupational Therapist because they are the ones responsible for Sensory Integration Disorder.

If sensory issues are a problem generally, then I would recommend any books by Olga Bogdashina. She also does speeches and travels around the UK. She is from the Ukraine, but I think she is also based at the University of Birmingham.

The NAS also do day seminars on various issues including Sensory ones.

Thanks Sally, Sean won't wear the ear defenders as no one else does and hates to bring any attention to himself. He hates being the centre of attention even for his birthday. He has an OT and next time we see her we'll bring this up! Loud unexpected noises are the worse for Sean. He's easily distracted and will try and hide from the noise and I've often had to cover his ears while he crouches against the nearest wall while a police/ambulance/fire engine goes by. He aslo starts to panic if a helicopter or jet plane flies over.

Thnaks Tally we'll try and get one asap!

Edited by AlishaJ