Sign in to follow this  
David Matthew Baker

Help for Autistic Students in Kenya

Hi all,

First in brief as I know I ramble and some may not want to read all I write below:

Whilst in Kenya this summer I met with the person in charge of Special Educational Needs for the Nyharuru District of Kenya. She only has access to one book on autism (one written by a Kenyan on how to cook for an autistic child). She had quite a few autistic students in her care (a number of whom I met and I agree in the majority of cases with the diagnosis) but no access to resources on how to care for them. She was involved in both the diagnosis and schooling of such students. I promised her that I would send her out some information so was wondering which books you would say would be most useful. The majority of cases I saw were low ability with a complex range of difficulties. I was going to buy some books and send them out. If anyone else is interested in sending some as well let me know and I'll ask for her permission to pass on her postal address though it is worth mentioning I think all post needs to go registered and it isn't very cheap. If there are also any general special needs books they maybe helpful as well. The other area she mentioned she was lacking in was dyslexia.

Now for more detail for those who don't mind reading:

As those of you who know me here will know I have visited Kenya a number of times and was out there again this summer. Whilst there on this trip I bumped into another mzungu (white person), called VC, who is involved in building schools in Kenya through the charity Kariandusi School Trust (http://www.kariandusi.co.uk/). He invited me to the ground breaking of the latest school he is working on. There he talked about how not just the providing of money but also the sharing of practices would most help Kenya's schools improve. After the event it was insisted by the head teacher that me and dad went to have some food (especially as VC had to make a quick exit to get to Nairobi). There I talked to a number of Kenyans, when they found out that I worked in a special school they told me that before I went they had to introduce me to the person in charge of Special Needs in that area, Alice Njeri.

Alice talked to us for a little while. She then asked if we'd be available the next day as she'd like to take us to see a couple of her schools. This we happily agreed to (we, as my dad was with me). Hence the next day we headed up to her office at Nyharuru with her. On the way we talked more or what VC had said and I promised that I'd try and form her a link with the special school I work at (which is for Autistic students for anyone who doesn't know). I also promised to see if I could get hold of any other relevant information which again I'd pass on to her. From there we went onto the first of the two places she took us.

This was a special school just west of Nyharuru. It had 3 or 4 classes for 'mentally handicapped' (to quote what is written on the school sign). The first class we were shown was all diagnosed as autistic and certainly from what I saw of them I'd agree in the majority of cases. There was a lot of building and organising but not much interaction between the students. Though occasionally one of them might throw something which hit another student or do something else similar to get the attention of the single teacher in the room. Alice said she was her best teacher in the district. She had the unenviable task of single handedly handling around 10 students all of a low ability. Alice and the teacher seemed a bit lost for what to do with them. If anyone has any ideas on how a single person could implement any of the strategies used with autism please let me know. It's hard enough at times at my school which is well staffed.

The next class didn't have any autistic students in it (being predominately downs syndrome) but really showed how nice an environment the people in the school tried to provide. We also were around when the students took their snack and even though they didn't have much quite a few of them wanted to share with us. Whilst in the staff room I asked what they had access to on autism and was shown a copy of the 1 book they had. This wasn't a particularly useful text as it was only on what food you could prepare for an autistic child (it was written by a Kenyan). I talked a bit about some of the strategies we use at school and tried to think of ways they could be implemented but struggled a bit.

The second place we visited was a unit attached to a primary school. This had 2 teachers in a single class which hence meant it felt like it was running much smoother and I could think of far more possibilities for things that could be trialled. Such as visual timetables or PECS. The students here also seemed to be of a higher ability level. This was a mixed group (when it came to difficulties) but was really nice. (When I have them I'll post up some photos for you all – there presently all at my dads getting sorted out.) The autistic student here seemed to be about the equivalent of one of my schools midrange students (the highest we have are quite able academically – one this year passed 5 GCSEs with A-C grades). Once again the staff seemed very committed but also said that more information on autism would help them improve the quality of education they could offer.

As I side note I never saw anyone who I would class as high functioning or Aspergers in Kenya but I expect that is because it wouldn't normally get diagnosed there. Alice herself seemed as committed and caring as any teacher I've seen here in England or abroad. At the second school I'll also mention she left enough money to buy them all cakes and soda. A lot of the students also called her mum. Some of them she had managed to rescue from situations such as being tied to trees. She also reckoned the education of parents needed to be a large part of her work as Kenyans don't understand about disabilities.

Hence as I believe it would make such a difference I'm trying to provide Alice with more information through the following methods:

1)Encouraging my school to form a link with her. She was happy to work as a go between for us and her special schools.

2)Purchasing and posting (by recorded delivery) a variety of books to her. Some recommendations on what people think best would be appreciated.

3)Seeing if anyone else would be interested in sending her information – in which case I'll text her to ask for permission to pass on her details.

If anyone does decided to help with point 3 it would also help if we keep a record in this post of what you decide to send. If anyone would like to send her some stuff but doesn't want it going direct (it is quite expensive) please let me know as I can always forward it.

I think thats all for now. If I think of anything else I'll add it in another post in this thread. Will also post a link to the pictures once I've uploaded them somewhere. I expect I'll also put up some photos from the rest of my visit but that might take me a little while. I hope your all well. May post an account of what else I got upto in Kenya when I find the time in the off topic section if anyones interested. My friends out there are all well and I hope my ones on here are too.

All the best for now, David Baker.

PS I have her mobile number, email and postal address. So can always forward some things electronically.

Hi David,

Always good to hear from you - you usually have so much news. :)

Your lates project sounds exciting: you met some very dedicated people doing the best with the little they have - I wonder what the future holds for the children when they leave the schools/units you saw them in?

Not being a teacher I'm not sure what to suggest in the way of books. The more practically useful in the classroom, the better, I expect.

K x

Hi David, I would recommend Playing, Laughing and Learning with children on the Autistic Spectrum by Julia Moor, especially for the younger children.

It also has a section on free resources available on the interntet. I would be happy to send you the links for you to have a look at if you are interested.

Hi David,

I have just read your post and i am keen to help if at all possible. I don't know if you remember, but my partner is Kenyan (from Nakuru), so it's very close to my heart.

I'm very busy now i have 3 children to look after, but if you can think of anything i can do, let me know.

I'd love to see your pictures!

Loulou