Sign in to follow this  
Sa Skimrande

All cats have asperger syndrome

I found a book in a charity shop, '' All cats have asperger syndrome'' by Kathy Hoopmann, ISBN, 1-84310-481-4, if you can get it, it is worth it. What it is, is a book that is aimed at parents who have discovered their sprog has aspergers syndrome, just to inform of the possibilities by way of a touching, humorous and insightful book which evokes the joys and challenges of raising a child who is different. It leaves the reader with a sense of the dignity, individuality and potential of people with asperger syndrome by the way of those lovely little fur balls, cats ( I love cats, it was what attracted me to the book ). Available from Jessica Kingsley Publishers, and the book is not very old at that, published in 2006.

Though I am new to the asperger diagnosis, reading it, I recognise oh so much of myself in there, but as time has gone on, I have learned to cope with many of the difficulties. Just to note, I still don't understand things in the world, but I make the right noises and movements to others, I have learned how to bluff my way through life.

:lol:

I don't think people with AS lie across the top of the stairs waiting to claw the ankles of anyone who attempts to descend. This is what my cat does. :ph34r:

We love her though. :wub:

K x

I have just started a course in Wild Cat Studies. My first assignment was to write about myself and my experience with cats (wild and domestic) to date. I have mentioned this book!

This is the book the Parent Support Adviser recommended on several levels :

1) To show to DS who may have ASD to see how much he relates to it (most, but not all) - the cat pics were really useful in keeping the situation light and some made him laugh

2) To see how much I related the book to DS; and

3) To show to family and friends that interact with him to give them a better understanding of 'his world' on the bits he related to. I was surprised (and maybe shouldn't have been) how much they related the book to him with alot of "oh yes, he does do that"

I think DS is much more in tune with our (his) new dog - pupster sleeps in DS's room with no probs at all :wub:

Kathy Hoopman also wrote All dogs have ADHD, I found it insightful, funny and very easy to read, unlike some other books.

I never thought of sharing these books with the kids.

Another good one, if you haven't already read it is Dasha's Journal by T O Daria. Dasha the cat has pets, mother, father, lisa and Alex. Alex has Autism. I loved reading this as I could just imagine some of the thought our cat must have on a daily basis.