Kathryn

The law of sod

We're in a tight situation regarding money, and carefully saving so we can finally do long awaited repairs to the house and maybe have a proper holiday next year. I'm congratulating myself on careful budgeting for food this week and - what happens?? On Wednesday one of the panes in the conservatory shattered (think it's the cat's fault - she's always been a bit clumsy with the cat flap in it).

Then last night there was a muffled bang, the lights flickered and there was an ominous smell of burning electrics. After running from room to room sniffing wildly, we discovered smoke rising from the back of the washing machine. They seem to have doubled in price too since we bought the last one. Bye bye money :hypno::crying:

So I'm firmly bracing myself tonight for the next catastrophe, and fervently hoping the saying that "things always come in threes" is just a myth.... :pray::pray::rolleyes:

Anyone else experienced things going wrong, breaking, breaking down at the same time or is it just me? :wallbash:

K x

Same here!!! washing machine door wont open and all clothes stuck in there, bloke coming tomorrow, saturday, this happened wednesday!!! then the ecomony 7 water heating thingy went, managed with the immersion for a few days then got a bloke to do it, took the tank oiut, it broke! this was yesterday thursday, so we now have NO hot water at all, 4 kids and just got a kettle.... Monday evening is the earliest for delivery. The hairdryer went sunday so hopefully that is the three! BUT am dreading the bills, new tank will be at least £250, then there is all the hours work and then the washing machine repairs :crying::crying::crying: Enid

Oh no Kathryn, but i firmly believe the happening in 3s, the window paine is a mystery though, maybe start checking the rest of the conservatory, foundations ect....

Ive just had my washer door fixed too, wastnt too bad, and lately had a list of repairs, from punctures on my bike, to lightbulbs just exploding, maybe you need a happening in 3s saving account, putting a little a side for unfortunate explostions, is the washer covered by insurance?? there is freecyle too, is there one in your area, you can put in wanted requests too, hopefully the 3rd might be a lightbulb going pop, which are pennys to replace.

JsMumxxx

Edited by JsMum

Must be a thing, we're extremely tight on money right now and our car failed the MOT which means we have to buy a new car. :wallbash: Plus we need to put down a £200 holding fee for the flat that we looked at. We should be ok again once my money comes through and the deposit comes through from this place, just got a shortfall for about 3 weeks. :ph34r:

Kathryn :(>:D<<'>

This summer we knew we had to repair the leaking roof on our kitchen prefab extension ourselves as we don't want to/can't afford to have it done professionally as hopefully in 3 years or so we'll be in a postion to have a new, larger, proper brick extension done...

Well, that went surprisingly well, although bitumen paint is feelthy stuff :sick:

Then we turned to the inside, and on lifting the vinyl discovered that the whole floor was sodden. Removed all 4 layers of this to find that the extension had been built over the main drain cover and a smaller little access cover. And every time the washing machine was used, the whole substructure of the floor was being flooded via the little access cover!

Spent days drying it all out...and then we actually laid a new floating floor all by ourselves!! :o :o And we cunningly devised a system so that the some of the new flooring boards can be lifted to access the drain covers :thumbs::notworthy:

Phew!

The bizarre thing, though, is that DH has spent the last 16 plus years being completely idle and cr*p at DIY/decorating...but this summer he has suddenly become not only proactive but spookily competent too! I keep looking for the pod...

In fact, so flushed by success is he, that he's decided we can tackle the chimney breast which still has a large hole from where the old backboiler was removed nearly a year ago :ph34r:

Bid :)

Edited by bid

when we moved house within the first week our freezer, lawnmower, washing machine and vacuum cleaner had all died. admittedly all were getting on in years but all that 'extra' money we had from the move soon disappeared. 7 years on all the same things need replacing again! :rolleyes: but added to the list this time round are the car (undrivable at the moment, full of water from a leaking roof and keeps overheating), the fridge which no longer has a handle and keeps switching itself off and every window in the house :crying:

these things always seem to happen just when it looks like we might have some 'spare' money in the near future

Should add that DH had to spend an afternoon up to his shoulder in the drain clearing the hideous blockage that was causing the flooding :sick:>:D<<'>

So it's not just me then. :rolleyes:

The thing I wouldn't mind breaking down is the fridge/freezer as it takes up too much kitchen space and ideally I'd like to replace it with a separate fridge and freezer. But the 20 year old thing (bought when my daughter was 2 weeks old) has survived two house moves. Bits have dropped off it over the years, but it absolutely refuses to die. :lol:

K x

Should add that DH had to spend an afternoon up to his shoulder in the drain clearing the hideous blockage that was causing the flooding :sick:>:D<<'>

ahh. we know that one well. we share our sewer drain with a street of holiday homes and it ALWAYS gets backed up in the summer with the tourists putting who knows what down the drains. that would be fine but when the previous owners built the extension on our house they built it over a bend in said sewer line.. so the house reeks for about 2 weeks at the end of the summer holidays where it is all sitting under the floor. we have access through a drain in the concrete floor and my poor father spends a nice few hours digging out all the stuff if it starts flushing back through the toilets!

we're hoing to do the opposite with our fridge, we want to rip out some shelves and put in a big american fridge. we only have a tiny under counter one at the moment and with 6 people living in the house at times it takes a lot of planning to fit in a weeks food. is my job on a saturday to take everything out, clean the fridge and put it all back in with the new stuff. i suspect it was given to me as a job because i'm the only one who remembers where i put everything!

Edited by NobbyNobbs

Couple of months ago we had the tv, vacuum and washing machine conk out in a single week. All fixed now, but the washing machine still sounds like it's trying to take off :o

Must be a thing, we're extremely tight on money right now and our car failed the MOT which means we have to buy a new car. :wallbash:

The suspension damper snapped on my car, the MoT ran out and discovered a puncture in one of the tyres all in one week!!!! :wallbash: Allways the same with cars!!! Been off the road 3 months while i await the suspension damper being rebuilt by the manufacturer as its expensive parts! Id have to buy a complete set of new dampers at £800 or get the broke one rebuilt for £55. So im getting it rebuilt except that the part i need the company has had to tender a new contract to another engineering firm as the original supplier went bust :wallbash: So much for a 1 week turn around on the damper rebuild!!!

The thing I wouldn't mind breaking down is the fridge/freezer as it takes up too much kitchen space and ideally I'd like to replace it with a separate fridge and freezer. But the 20 year old thing (bought when my daughter was 2 weeks old) has survived two house moves. Bits have dropped off it over the years, but it absolutely refuses to die. :lol:

Thats because most fridge freezers are mechanically very simple and with the insulation and thermo switches mean the pump isnt switched on as often as youd think so run for a long time.

but the washing machine still sounds like it's trying to take off :o

Thats because it is trying to take off and return to the mother ship!! :whistle::hypno:

Thats because it is trying to take off and return to the mother ship!! :whistle::hypno:

So long as it doesn't take all my socks with it :D

my washing machine and hoover broke in the same week :rolleyes: i was waiting for the 3rd thing to go wrong but thankfully it didnt!!!

Thats because most fridge freezers are mechanically very simple and with the insulation and thermo switches mean the pump isnt switched on as often as youd think so run for a long time.

So how can I shorten its life? A sharp kick every time I walk past, maybe? :lol:

K x

So how can I shorten its life? A sharp kick every time I walk past, maybe? :lol:

K x

Don't like to tempt fate but your freezer is over 25 years old and till going strong.

Our old washing machine was over 11 years old when it died, and we gave away our old cooker when we moved, we had had it 12 years and it was secondhand when we got it.