Sign in to follow this  
invent 10 things b4 breakfast

Kids Asperger's Group

Hi - good to see you here again. :)

There are several forums just for kids but I don't know of one that's specifically for youngsters with AS.

K x

Hi, thanks. Not been on here for some time... things have actually been going smoothly (quick, touch wood!) :thumbs:

Someone I know is interested for their child, they want to be in touch with other kids with similar issues to understand themselves better.

Would be great if such a thing exisited, anyone know of any?

I think this has come up before in discussion, and I think others mentioned the lack of AS specific children's groups then.

There are obviously general groups just for children (didn't Karen A mention her son belonged to one?). My son used to belong to a message board on AOL (and nearly got our account suspended but that's another story :o:oops: ).

Sorry - hopefully someone will let us know if they know of anything.

K x

I've never found one. And when I suggested putting one on here I was soundly shouted down with endless reasons as to why it was a terrible idea and that no-one would mod it.

There are plenty of kids forums for other disabilities, but not found an ASD one. I think I did find a US one that had kids & adults on once, but it was awful......

I'm thinking that this might be a case of if you want it you must do it yourself :rolleyes: I soooooooo do not have time (or the knowledge) to do that myself.

I've never found one. And when I suggested putting one on here I was soundly shouted down with endless reasons as to why it was a terrible idea and that no-one would mod it.

It was your discussion I was referring to Kez. Here it is.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=19323

Everyone discussed the subject and expressed their opinions very reasonably, I thought.

Your comment implies criticism of existing moderators for not doing something we never volunteered for in the first place. That's unreasonable, in my opinion.

I'm thinking that this might be a case of if you want it you must do it yourself :rolleyes:

Precisely. :rolleyes:

K x

It was your discussion I was referring to Kez. Here it is.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=19323

Everyone discussed the subject and expressed their opinions very reasonably, I thought.

Your comment implies criticism of existing moderators for not doing something we never volunteered for in the first place. That's unreasonable, in my opinion.

Precisely. :rolleyes:

K x

I was not meaning to criticise, just to say that there were many reasons given as to why it was considered a bad idea here.

Sorry for implying otherwise

I think there would be many legal issues in running a forum for children, which may explain why one does not exist.

lots of kids forums exist -some for specific health or disability issues. there are some legal issues, but not loads - as long as it is a forum and not a dating agency LOL! Mods have the same duties as with an adult forum - keep it legal & appropriate & not inflamatory. Rules are the same as the adult forum, just a bit more emphasis on net safety & don't meet up without telling parents etc....

At the end of the day I don't see any more legal issues than with this forum - anyone can sign up to this and pretend they have an ASD if that is what turns them on!!! we can't know :rolleyes: Ditto with a kids forum, anyone can sign up and say they are 12, but TBH, kids talk such a load of dross most of the time that why anyone would want to is quite beyond me LOL.

Although i agree, it would be better off being somewhere else, rather than here. It just needs someone to set it up....... As I said, not me, sorry.

Edited by KezT

lots of kids forums exist -some for specific health or disability issues. there are some legal issues, but not loads - as long as it is a forum and not a dating agency LOL! Mods have the same duties as with an adult forum - keep it legal & appropriate & not inflamatory. Rules are the same as the adult forum, just a bit more emphasis on net safety & don't meet up without telling parents etc....

Sorry, I disagree. I made my views clear on the other thread but I think there is way more responsibility attached to running a forum for minors, a lot more commitment required and a lot more potential stress, and it's asking a lot of a volunteer. Where does confidentiality end? Apart from the major issue of safety, what happens if a vulnerable child starts talking about self harm - which is a real possibility on an ASD forum? It's difficult enough when adults are involved.

I'd do it if it was a proper job and someone paid me. :rolleyes:

K x