Sign in to follow this  
hev

steve started college today!

saw him on the bus and i feel all weird now!!hes doing 2 days this week then in future 3 days,hes doing a life skills course for a year then choosing what he wants to do next year

im nervous :crying:

Hope all goes well for him, and hope in time he will find it easier to cope with. You will know how it's gone when you see his face and i hope it's :).

Teresa :)

Hi hev - lovely to 'see you' >:D<<'> :thumbs:

Wow! Hope all goes well today (and for the rest of the course)...

I'm guessing this is the same or similar to the course my Nephew did a few years ago? If so then you may find that S breezes it, as many of the 'lifeskills' involved will be ones he's already been developing through resi skool and stuff. Nowt wrong with that, though, but if he complains it's 'too easy' make a big thing of it being that way 'cos he's soooo smart, and that the others who aren't quite up to speed will appreciate having him there to pick up cues from...

The other course on offer was a work skills one, and I think that'd be really useful if you can get him to sign up next year :thumbs:

Finally - there (was?)'s a 'lifeskills workshop' run at the British Legion village near us... It's a good 'taster' in independent living (they get their own flat for two weeks). It's a long way off, but if you can earmark him a place there through his social worker for when he's finished at kollidge it'd be good for him, I'm sure.

L&P, smelly,

BH :D

Wow, doesn't time go fast. :):thumbs: It sounds like the kind of course my L did a few years ago now. I hope his first day goes well - let us know. Does he get college transport or does he have to get an "ordinary" bus himself?

Hope N and K are well. :D

K x

Well...

So far he has managed to leave all his GCSE and A2 certificates on the bus! :wallbash:

Refused anything from Learning Support :o

And decided to walk home yesterday...which took 4 hours!! :hypno:

Today he has cycled in (refuses to wear helmet as it would squash his hair) :ph34r:

Bid :crying:

Edited by bid

well he seems to be enjoying it :) he makes his own way there on the bus,its about half hour away and considering he used to travel to and from southampton every weekend by train on his own he has no worries :clap:

saying that tho,he fell asleep on the bus tonight and missed his stop!!hes not used to these early mornings,its 3 days a week so can still have a few lie ins :D

anyway so far so good,this mothering lark is a worry tho,i been on tenderhooks for 2 days!!

well he seems to be enjoying it :) he makes his own way there on the bus,its about half hour away and considering he used to travel to and from southampton every weekend by train on his own he has no worries :clap:

saying that tho,he fell asleep on the bus tonight and missed his stop!!hes not used to these early mornings,its 3 days a week so can still have a few lie ins :D

anyway so far so good,this mothering lark is a worry tho,i been on tenderhooks for 2 days!!

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Don't nock this mothering lark.A few days on tenderhooks and I relaxed and went shopping yesterday morning only to return to find Ben had broken his arm.

This overanxious mum will be back on tenderhooks in the morning. :)

Glad things are going well.Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Sounds good so far, Hev, apart from falling asleep. :)

Bid - quite an eventful few days. :o Hopefully it won't always be like that. Any chance of getting the certificates back?

K x

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

An update...

He phoned me at lunchtime with the ominous words 'I've got some bad news mother' :ph34r:

1. A pedal had fallen off his bike.

2. He couldn't enrol without his certificates.

:crying:

Luckily I found the result slips for his GNVQ and AS levels, so had to make round trip #1 of 20 odd miles to take them to him.

Luckily his course tutor spent an hour 'persuading' the college to enrol him on the strength of his GNVQ which as he got a distinction is worth 4 GCSEs at A grade.

Then had to make round trip #2 of 20 odd miles to collect him and bike at the end of the day. What larks we had fitting a mountain bike in the back of a three door micra which already contained one small boy and his booster seat!

Sigh!

Bid :wacko:

All on three and a half hours sleep! :hypno:

Edited by bid