Sign in to follow this  
lsw146

Girls and autism

Hi all,

this may well have been posted before but I thought I would shre it as it made me feel very positive about asking for a re-referral for our 15 year DD.

It follows a young girl who has a dx and the issues involved ion getting one for a girl.

Jo

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=4181242

PS it does load after the advert

I have not seen this clip before. Very good points raised. My daughter is nearly 13 and only diagnosed at christmas just gone. She has this week started high school at a special school which i am so relieved about and I am so proud of myself for getting her diagnosis and statement of special needs arranged in the space of 6 months. She absolutely loves her new school and this really could be the making of her - being somewhere where she is understood and boosted as opposed to what has happened for the past 7 years in mainstream where she has been shunned by other pupils, confidence knocked by the teachers who never realised what was wrong with her.

I do hope that more awareness is raised to the difference between boys and girls in autism and the way girls present on the spectrum and along with this, services etc are modified to include girls more for example in social clubs etc. I find everything geared towards boys - rightly so as they are the majority but i think there should be more girl friendly autism social events.

Interesting video clip..

Yes, Great clip. It made me so sad to see the girl trying to get involved in the games but getting it wrong. Reminded me of DD, especially telling all the other kids what they were and were not allowed to do. I often see DD trying to reach out and getting rejected because of her awkwardness or unwillingness to bend. It really hit home and I am glad that some people are becoming more aware of ASD in girls. Thanks for posting it! Skye

I thought it was funny that all her clothes are the same, just different colours.

whats wrong with that? :unsure: i have 8 tshirts, all the same design, in shades of navy/black and dark green... i have 3 pairs of jeans the same in light/mid/dark blue... thats pretty much it!

thats a really good film about how rubbish the attitude towards girls and autism can be.

Interesting to know the contents of your wardrobe. Still can't find the offensive bit in my post though.

oops, AS wires crossed there. i wasn't suggesting i was offended, i was joking that i am the same and may have picked the wrong smiley. sorry!

I have no idea what that smiley means either. I thought it was an "under attack" smiley. Sorry!

I have four pairs of the same shoes in assorted colours. It's great because I know what size I need without trying them on in the shop.

sorry. very worried i upset you then.

when i was in the early stages of trying to get the diagnosis i got a lot of 'i think my son has AS and you're nothing like him so you can't have it'. good to see people are starting to look into us females and our own personal brand of different. interesting about the comments that social training for girls is much stronger so we learn how to manage the issues. i was always very passive because my sister had (and still has) a really foul temper and i was taught that being like that was bad and everything should be done to avoid it. as a result i became so passive and mild i was completely compliant and my mother can't remember me having a tantrum - not normal but far more socially acceptable

Wow thanks so much for that. Especially the bit in the begining, I could see so much of my little girl :tearful: Sometimes, it is hard watching her be rejected by her peers. It's heartbreaking actually. She is so eager to please, but her inflexability makes things turn negative really quickly and very frequently. :tearful: It was a brilliant clip though, very comforting. Sometimes just a reminder of the diagnosis and what it means, can make the day seem a little easier. I know what I mean!