Sign in to follow this  
Alexandra

Looking for velcro fastening footwear

Haven't been on here for ages, but need some help with footwear,

M (11) has just started secondary school and he has to wear football boots

the problem is he can't tie his laces he has hyper mobile joints so finds it very difficult

along with his lack of co ordination. I've managed to adapt his school shoes with elastic instead of

laces (no shoes with velcro fastening in his size), but it doesn't seem to work with his

football boots, Does anyone know if you can get velcro fastening football boots or if not what alternative is there,

Have one upset son and a stressed mum trying to help... Thanks in advance x

http://www.footyboots4kids.com/football%20...amp;lace=velcro

This site seems to have a few different styles and sizes all velcro fastening.

Or you could always just try www.ebay.co.uk and search for velcro football boots in his size.

Hope this helps, I myself am really poor at laces and I'm 17.

From Willow.

Thank you will take a look, bless him he's so upset, can I ask how you coped at school

with laces etc its a real worry we don't want him teased, Hope you don't mind me asking

but feel its going to be difficult as he gets older to find shoes he can do up Thanks again x

Hi - I think most of the bigger sports shops have velcro footy-boots, especially if their astroturf/trainer stylee so it could be worth a trip to the local shops if you need them double-quick and he wants to try them on.

I had the opposite problem - my son loathes velcro and school shoes with laces that don't look like clogs are getting harder and harder to find. He's had to wear his slightly too small ones this week, but we have new ones on order for the w/e.

Re lace tying: My son has dyspraxia, but learned to tie his shoes using a little plastic 'foot' I found in ELC... He back-chained using that (back-chaining: learning a task backwards in stages so each stage ends in 'success' i.e. the finished article. with a shoelace, for example, task 'one' would be pulling both loops to complete the bow rather than the 'forward chaining' version which would start with crossing over the untied laces), and once he could do the plastic shoe he moved on to a real shoe and then a real shoe on his own foot.

L&P

BD :D

next are always really good for fashionable shoes with velcro. ive had a quick look and theres a couple of pairs of velcro fastening ones that would probably do for school, as well as a lot of slip ons. velcro trainers are also reasonably in fashion these days (last i checked anyway) and again next had a couple of pairs, otherwise skechers do a whole range of very fashionable slip on and velcro shoes (but you' have to import them from the US to get a wide choice)

Hi all.

We asked in the main shoe shops at Blue Water during the holidays and researched on the Internet.We were unable to find any school shoes in a size 8 [wide fitting] with velcro fastener.We were getting desperate.The manager at Clarks suggested we tried Ben with slip on shoes [loafers].We got some that were not geeaky and are very comfortable.It turns out that several lads have opted for loafers as they are in fashion this year.

We have not looked for football boots yet [and will not need to for a while now Ben has a broken arm. :rolleyes: ] but have got velcro fastening trainers which are easily obtainable.Karen.

You could try putting the curly elasticated laces in regular footie boots?

You lace as normal, but because the laces are elastic and sort of curled like an old fashioned telephone wire you don't need to actually tie them as they sort of curl back on themselves holding the shoe secure.

Bid :)

Thank you will take a look, bless him he's so upset, can I ask how you coped at school

with laces etc its a real worry we don't want him teased, Hope you don't mind me asking

but feel its going to be difficult as he gets older to find shoes he can do up Thanks again x

Hiya, unfortunately I'm still stuck in school. (Don't know if you've seen my latest post about it) I have velcro shoes at the moment, that are by a 'fasionable' brand. I think that's the best way to go about it. Although to be honest, a lot of shoes these days are slip on, (which is what I wore before I found my velcro ones). I think a lot of boys tend to go for slip on 'loafer' (not sure if that's the right term) type shoes. How is he with slip ons?

Good luck with it :)

Willow

Edited by Willow-Tree

Good luck with your search. My son is 12 and still has trouble with laces. He has just about learned - but would rather not! I think he keeps his shoes tied up and slips them on, and we get away with velcro shoes for everyday school and leisure wear.

K x

[/font][/color]

Hi Alexandra

I am a mum of 14yr old son with ASD we use lock laces which are elastic and can be threaded thro and then can be pulled into place with one hand We found them ideal for our son's footy boots and his school shoes. He can just about manage laces but when needed to be quickly changed between classes these have been great. The are aimed at all disabled people and cost approx £9 for 2 sets. He has got usual boy large feet and we found it incresingly difficult to get velcro shoes etc so looked for an alternative.

Hope this is of help

Donna.

:D