Sign in to follow this  
carrieq

Help for non-reader

My son has a range of difficulties which mean reading is almost impossible. He has a reading vocab of a few sight words and the problems cross over into written work aswell. He is only in school part time and this has been the case for the last year which obviously isn't helping but his reading issues are more deep rooted.

Does anyone know of anything that can be used to take the pressure off him for reading. I suppose I am thinking of something that could effectively read everything for him. He has screen readers, wrtiers for when he is using the computer but I am thinking of things that can be used for books, comics etc.

Any info would be great, or if anyone has a child in the same situation would love to hear what is being done!

Carrie

Hi Carrie

Good to hear from you. Was wondering how you're doing.

Today, I visited someone in the E-team, part of Visiting Teacher Services. My son cannot write very well at all, despite being 8. I was shown a software program called Clicker which is widely used in schools. It makes reading fun. It teaches the child to read in small chunks and the subject matter can easily be customised. In addition, there's sound activation. Have to say it looked impressive and it's suitable for all ages - primary and secondary schools. Might be worth looking into.

Regards

Caroline.

My son has a range of difficulties which mean reading is almost impossible. He has a reading vocab of a few sight words and the problems cross over into written work aswell. He is only in school part time and this has been the case for the last year which obviously isn't helping but his reading issues are more deep rooted.

Does anyone know of anything that can be used to take the pressure off him for reading. I suppose I am thinking of something that could effectively read everything for him. He has screen readers, wrtiers for when he is using the computer but I am thinking of things that can be used for books, comics etc.

Any info would be great, or if anyone has a child in the same situation would love to hear what is being done!

Carrie

Hi Carrie,

I have clicker version 4 sat on my bookshelf. I bought it last year from e-bay and apart from seeing what it does haven't had an opportunity to use it. I thought I was going to lose the bid and ended up winning two from different people. I was going to put it back on e-bay but if your family could use it I would be happy to let you have it. Just pm me your address.

Julieann