Mandapanda

Getting sleeping sorted out

i'm opposite i have trouble getting myself off in a natural sleep wake up feeling not refreshed from night before just groggy and yukie it's so annoying and frustrating i have problems 'switching off' due to AS but also anxiety and depression play a major part in my sleep routine i personally believe ...... having lack of sleep affects my mood during the day and also had knock on effect to work too grrr..... i've been on anti-depressant mirtazapine 45MG just made me feel like i did without groggy

XKLX

Hi Mandapanda

really pleased for you :). wish we could get things sorted here we are still awake all night long along with awful panic attacks :tearful:

Hi biker69

Sorry to hear this.

A psychologist where I work suggested getting my son to do star jumps when he started feeling panicky. Basically anything that may distract them, but activity also releases endorphins which make you feel good (apparently!). I was very fortunate that when I explained what a panic attack was and why it happened (why his hands tingled and he felt faint due to over-breathing) and talked him through breathing calmly etc, he learned very quickly to recogise them coming on and calm himself down. He really has done amazingly well.

This time last year I was sleeping in his room cos things were so bad - I never thought they would change then.

Thinking of you >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

i'm opposite i have trouble getting myself off in a natural sleep wake up feeling not refreshed from night before just groggy and yukie it's so annoying and frustrating i have problems 'switching off' due to AS but also anxiety and depression play a major part in my sleep routine i personally believe ...... having lack of sleep affects my mood during the day and also had knock on effect to work too grrr..... i've been on anti-depressant mirtazapine 45MG just made me feel like i did without groggy

XKLX

Hi smiley1590

I personally have never ever woken feeling 'refreshed' like people talk about :huh: .

I still wonder about whether my son was depressed and anxious which caused his sleep probs, or whether he had sleep probs which caused his depression/anxiety. I don't know how doctors would know which way round it was - a sort of 'chicken and egg' situation.

I know you've had one hell of a year, so it's not surprising you're having trouble at the moment. My son and my husband have both experienced not sleeping, and therefore worrying about not sleeping and it's a vicious circle. It's very difficult to function in the 'normal' world of working etc, when you are not sleeping properly. You have my sympathy.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi biker69

Sorry to hear this.

A psychologist where I work suggested getting my son to do star jumps when he started feeling panicky. Basically anything that may distract them, but activity also releases endorphins which make you feel good (apparently!). I was very fortunate that when I explained what a panic attack was and why it happened (why his hands tingled and he felt faint due to over-breathing) and talked him through breathing calmly etc, he learned very quickly to recogise them coming on and calm himself down. He really has done amazingly well.

This time last year I was sleeping in his room cos things were so bad - I never thought they would change then.

Thinking of you >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi Mandapanda

thanks for the suggestions the trouble is he is very reluctant to try anything which is quite frustrating, I have explained to him about panic attacks and tried to get him to practice breathing techniques but he just says that nothing will work :unsure: . on a good note last night we had a whole night of no panics and sleep from 1.30 am till morning :) .

biker69

Hi Mandapanda

thanks for the suggestions the trouble is he is very reluctant to try anything which is quite frustrating, I have explained to him about panic attacks and tried to get him to practice breathing techniques but he just says that nothing will work :unsure: . on a good note last night we had a whole night of no panics and sleep from 1.30 am till morning :) .

biker69

Hi biker69

In your current situation that's pretty good going. Talk (casually) about how he managed that and it is a good sign. It's very difficult, my son at first couldn't see that anything would make any difference. How is he with 'the doctor said'? If you say a doctor has told you about this technique would that have any weight in his mind? (Little white lies can be useful, especially if they take things literally - this can be a perk of asd for us parents :ph34r: ).

Hi Mandapanda

thanks for replying again :) I did ask him how he did so well the other night and was there anything that made a difference but he just said he didnt know and the panic just didnt happen :unsure:. as for talking to doctors and cahms we have done on several occasions but he is ok while he is talking to them but as soon as we are out of there he says he doesnt trust them and they dont know how he feels, it is such a shame there is no getting through to him. anyway thankyou again for replying much appreciated.

biker69

Hi Mandapanda

thanks for replying again :) I did ask him how he did so well the other night and was there anything that made a difference but he just said he didnt know and the panic just didnt happen :unsure:. as for talking to doctors and cahms we have done on several occasions but he is ok while he is talking to them but as soon as we are out of there he says he doesnt trust them and they dont know how he feels, it is such a shame there is no getting through to him. anyway thankyou again for replying much appreciated.

biker69