Sign in to follow this  
jacquelineh1468

what to say at multi agency meeting

I recently asked my local education authority to asses my son for statementing{sorry forgot to say my son is in last year of primary and is dx with hypotonia,adhd and asd}.The day after i sent the letter i had a visit from a parental advisor from the education,she said that they was really shocked as this was the first time my son had been brought to their attention{even though he had missed almost a year off school as he was to frightened to go in}anyway she asked me if i would withdraw the request for statementing as there are other agencys that will be helping my son shortly and said she would organise a multi agency meeting .The parental adviser visited last week and said the meeting has been arranged for early october and said that i need to write everything that i am concerned about as it needs to be said at the meeting and i am just wondering what kind of things i should bring up at this meeting as i dont want to miss anything out as i would like my son to be statemented as i dont think my son would be able to cope with mainstream secondary school

Hi never withdraw your request frora statement, i had the same problems at primary, in year six they told me they would strongly oppose everything i tried to do for my son though, not help him, i moved his school , the new school were great but he was only there 6 months, they helped him with transition but once at secondary school he totally lost it, he was crying vomiting wetting the bed (astill does) in term time , having very severe stomach cramps, they told me it was school refusal and the treatment for that is making him go in every day and he will eventually get used to it, we tried for 2 years , he was off ill 50% they said i was the cause of it, in june this year he was diagnosed with aspergers after 6 years of trying, i have tried for statementing 4 times i am on my 5th now and already at appeal for refusal to assess, i have had to deregister him and home school for now , we are only 2 weeks in to that and it is REALLY hard, but he is a changed boy he is going out to youth clubs, sports he has got a girlfriend at the club, until i deregistered him he was in his room constantly refusng to come out, yesterdya he competed in a team sports event for the first time ever in his life!! and todya he made his own breakfast,!!!!! only cereal but its a start !!! i am getting support wiht my appeal from i p s e a (independant panel for special education needs)they are brilliant and have told me they think his school are guilty of disability discrimiantion and they wuill help me deal with that, look them up on the web and give them a ring, it can take time to get through but they are worth waiting for,dont let them bully you into letting this happen to your child,make them take notice now , good luck with that x

Hi never withdraw your request frora statement, i had the same problems at primary, in year six they told me they would strongly oppose everything i tried to do for my son though, not help him, i moved his school , the new school were great but he was only there 6 months, they helped him with transition but once at secondary school he totally lost it, he was crying vomiting wetting the bed (astill does) in term time , having very severe stomach cramps, they told me it was school refusal and the treatment for that is making him go in every day and he will eventually get used to it, we tried for 2 years , he was off ill 50% they said i was the cause of it, in june this year he was diagnosed with aspergers after 6 years of trying, i have tried for statementing 4 times i am on my 5th now and already at appeal for refusal to assess, i have had to deregister him and home school for now , we are only 2 weeks in to that and it is REALLY hard, but he is a changed boy he is going out to youth clubs, sports he has got a girlfriend at the club, until i deregistered him he was in his room constantly refusng to come out, yesterdya he competed in a team sports event for the first time ever in his life!! and todya he made his own breakfast,!!!!! only cereal but its a start !!! i am getting support wiht my appeal from i p s e a (independant panel for special education needs)they are brilliant and have told me they think his school are guilty of disability discrimiantion and they wuill help me deal with that, look them up on the web and give them a ring, it can take time to get through but they are worth waiting for,dont let them bully you into letting this happen to your child,make them take notice now , good luck with that x

hi,thanks for your advice,i have been told that after the meeting if i am still not satisfied i can apply for the statement again ,my son like yours is labelled a school refuser and also suffers with his stomach and the thought of sending him to secondary school terrifys me so much that i havent even filled the forms in yet

It's your decision of course, but I would not withdraw the request for a statutory assessment (I'm assuming this is the stage you're at). It takes six weeks for the LA to make a decision on this anyway, so it's a slow process, during which there is plenty of time for discussions and meetings if necessary. There is no need to halt the process.

As you have put the LA under legal obligation to look at your son's needs, it's good to keep the pressure on. If you withdraw, you have to start from the beginning again and the whole process will be further delayed. Some LA's will fob parents off indefinitely with vague promises which ultimately amount to nothing.

K x

Hi.I thought I would add my pennyworth. :)

I would not withdraw the request if I were in your situation either.If the LA decide not to assess then they would need to give reasons to justify the decision.I think they would also have to notify you of your right to appeal.The fact that a request has been turned down would also go on record.If you withdraw the request the LA will not have to deal with any of these things which would be great for them. :whistle:

The multi agency meeting may well be a multi-professional meeting.Even if people made promises at such a meeting there is far less obligation to follow through.A Statement is far more solid in ensuring things are done.

Karen.

I recently asked my local education authority to asses my son for statementing{sorry forgot to say my son is in last year of primary and is dx with hypotonia,adhd and asd}.The day after i sent the letter i had a visit from a parental advisor from the education,she said that they was really shocked as this was the first time my son had been brought to their attention{even though he had missed almost a year off school as he was to frightened to go in}anyway she asked me if i would withdraw the request for statementing as there are other agencys that will be helping my son shortly and said she would organise a multi agency meeting .The parental adviser visited last week and said the meeting has been arranged for early october and said that i need to write everything that i am concerned about as it needs to be said at the meeting and i am just wondering what kind of things i should bring up at this meeting as i dont want to miss anything out as i would like my son to be statemented as i dont think my son would be able to cope with mainstream secondary school

Hi.I thought I would add.If you do decide to go ahead with the request for a Statutary Assessment and do not withdraw it it might be wise to think about how much to say at the multi-professional meeting.I may be cynical but can imagine a person taking down lots of notes re your concerns only to come up with a plan re how everything can be done without a Statement. :whistle:

If the LA have not been aware regarding your son then someone has not been providing information it is not your job to provide it for them now.If they need to find out what the issues are then perhaps it might be appropriate to pay for the professional input needed for a Statutary Assessment. :devil: Karen.

Hi.I thought I would add.If you do decide to go ahead with the request for a Statutary Assessment and do not withdraw it it might be wise to think about how much to say at the multi-professional meeting.I may be cynical but can imagine a person taking down lots of notes re your concerns only to come up with a plan re how everything can be done without a Statement. :whistle:

If the LA have not been aware regarding your son then someone has not been providing information it is not your job to provide it for them now.If they need to find out what the issues are then perhaps it might be appropriate to pay for the professional input needed for a Statutary Assessment. :devil: Karen.

hi karen,i was put in a position where i was made to think that withdrawing the statement request was the best option i was told by the parental advisor that my son will be getting lots of help from outside agencys and that trying to fight the statement would probably be to much for me to handle as i suffer from mental illness myself but quite frankly i dont know where they get this from as its amazing the strength that you find when you are fighting for your kids.People attending this meeting so i am lead to believe are the school senco,cahms,occupational therapists,salt and a psychologist also the parental advisor from the education board.What i am wanting to know is what kind of things i should tell these people,i dont like sitting there and going on as i feel that i am putting my son down,i just feel so angry that it has been implied for years that there was nothing wrong with my son and it was just a fragment of my imagination.Sorry to rant on but i suppose we all need to release some steam

Hi, I really agree with everyone that you should keep up with your statement request - a statement is a legal document that clearly lays out what help your son is LEGALLY entitled to. A statement also gives you the right of appeal, if you disagree with its contents. Nothing else will do this. And with your son due at senior school, you do not have the luxury of time to 'wait and see' if they will actually do anything they promise.

These meetings can be daunting and it would be a really good idea to take some support with you. Parent Partnership can come with parents to meetings, but I don't know what they are like in your area. Some are funded by the LEA and can be, shall we say, a little reluctant to stand up to the LEA on your behalf, but I have heard of some that are great and really supportive. Even if you can only take a neighbour or friend, that will help - ask them to write as much down as they can.

NAS and IPSEA plus other organisations (Kathryn, I think has a post on this somewhere) will be able to give you some detailed, specific advice - I think it would help to consider how much help he will need, especially at High School and these organisations will be able to help you with this.

Just be aware in the meeting that EVERYTHING you say will be on record. If you are uncomfortable about any questions, just say that it is an interesting question and you need time to go away and think about it and you will come back to them on it. Do not allow them to put you on the spot.

The statementing process can be very stressful, but you've already surprised yourself with your hidden strength. You just need to arm yourself with experienced support and the likes of NAS and IPSEA can give you that. Have a look on their websites while you get hold of someone. And good luck!x

hi karen,i was put in a position where i was made to think that withdrawing the statement request was the best option i was told by the parental advisor that my son will be getting lots of help from outside agencys and that trying to fight the statement would probably be to much for me to handle as i suffer from mental illness myself but quite frankly i dont know where they get this from as its amazing the strength that you find when you are fighting for your kids.People attending this meeting so i am lead to believe are the school senco,cahms,occupational therapists,salt and a psychologist also the parental advisor from the education board.What i am wanting to know is what kind of things i should tell these people,i dont like sitting there and going on as i feel that i am putting my son down,i just feel so angry that it has been implied for years that there was nothing wrong with my son and it was just a fragment of my imagination.Sorry to rant on but i suppose we all need to release some steam

Hi.If one of the professionals advised you that you would find the assessment process for a Statement too much too handle due to your mental illness I am not impressed.The Statementing procedure is with regard to your son. :o It sounds to me like someone is playing games in an atempt to put you off.

I should be honest that I have personal experience that creates strong feelings for me.We spent three years in psychotherapy because it was thought that Ben had difficulties due to my mental health issues in his early childhood.Then last year CAMHS discovered that Ben has AS .

There is no reason why the meeting cannot still go ahead whilst the request for a Statement is being considered.

If you are worried about what to say at the meeting it might be worth taking brief notes re the main points with you.

You could also take a friend along to take notes and support you.

It is difficult to be honest without feeling that negative things are being said.However please try to remember that you are attempting to do the best for your son. >:D<<'>

Karen.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=20381

The information for NAS,IPSEA and ACE is on this thread. :thumbs:

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1763&a=8791

This link provides lots of helpful information regarding preparing for meetings that might be helpful.

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=20381

The information for NAS,IPSEA and ACE is on this thread. :thumbs:

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1763&a=8791

This link provides lots of helpful information regarding preparing for meetings that might be helpful.

Karen.

hi thanks for your reply just had a phone call from the school senco,i have to go into school to fill in some forms with her before this meeting otherwise the meeting can not go ahead so perhaps i will learn more about what will be going on at the meeting from her.Going in on monday to fill the forms in havent got a clue what there about as i have never had to fill in forms for a multi agency meeting b4

Hi,

PLEASE take along the parent advisor when you are filling in the forms - you don't know what they are or what you might be inadvertently agreeing to - don't like the fact that they say the meeting can not go ahead without them. They obviously do not want you to proceed with the statement, so please be careful.

If you are not sure, then please say you need to take the forms away with you or need to seek further advice before filling them in. Be assured that anything written down can be used against you e.g at their internal special educational needs panel or at tribunal, should it ever come to that.

I really hope I am being overly cautious, but as the saying goes: best to be safe than sorry/x

I agree with everything Grace said above.

Your mention of form filling makes me wonder if they may be doing a CAF? The CAF - Common Assessment Framework, is a fairly new process designed to coordinate all the educational and health agencies working with a particular child.

See the downloads at the bottom of the link below - the leaflet for parents will give basic information and it might be helpful to look at all of them.

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/everychildmatters/r...actice/IG00172/

The aim of the CAF is good and there's no harm in it, but it's important to remember that it is not an educational document, has no legal force and there is no funding attached to it. For that reason, it can't replace the statementing process, although some LA's attempt to convince parents that it can. Ask the Senco if the multi agency meeting is part of a CAF.

K x

Your mention of form filling makes me wonder if they may be doing a CAF? The CAF - Common Assessment Framework, is a fairly new process designed to coordinate all the educational and health agencies working with a particular child.

See the downloads at the bottom of the link below - the leaflet for parents will give basic information and it might be helpful to look at all of them.

The aim of the CAF is good and there's no harm in it, but it's important to remember that it is not an educational document, has no legal force and there is no funding attached to it. For that reason, it can't replace the statementing process, although some LA's attempt to convince parents that it can. Ask the Senco if the multi agency meeting is part of a CAF.

K x

Hi Kathryn,

At the mention of the CAF form I felt that I had to comment. As you already know it is just a form that collects all the information in one place about your child that all professionals have access to. Doctors, psychologists, SALT,SENCo etc.

I don't know if you recall that in September 2008 the year 9 pupil that I supported who had been statemented for 10 years had her statement finished after her parents were pursuaded that a CAF form and SA+ would be more beneficial to their daughter than a statement giving 7 1/2 hrs weekly support.

Since September 2008 this pupil has had no support at all. Not even a meeting with the SENCo. She comes and talks to me in school occassionally. She is very mature for her age and tells me that she feels that the school have let her down completely. She has always struggled with her organisational skills which are impacting on getting her homework and coursework assignments in on time.

Julieann.

I agree with all said.

You don't need to stop the statementing process. Your answer should be that you are being told that everyone is going to assess him anyway, that their reports might as well be part of the statementing process and as he has complex needs and needs professional support that does not typically go into school (ie. physio and OT), then that provision should be secured through the Statement. The only reason they don't want a Statement is because then the school/LEA are legally obliged to keep to it. Without a Statement, if your son needs OT and there is none available, then he will not get to see the OT. If he has a Statement and it says weekly or termly reviews by the OT - then that has to happen. And if it doesn't you have a legal route to take to force them to fulfil it.

And the fact that no-one even noticed he was practically absent for a year from school shows you that things do not happen automatically.

And as cynical as it sounds, it is usually the children that would get a statement whose parents are told not to try for one, otherwise those involved wouldn't be worried about your request for a statement would they.

When you say he suffers with his stomach what do you mean?

Could he be anxious and stressed and that is upsetting his stomach. If you think that is the case then raise that as well. I recently had my son referred because he kept vomiting, feeling sick, stomach pain, migraines etc. The paediatrician wrote to school that he does not have a medical condition causing this and that it is more likely to be due to stress and anxiety. Therefore the ball is back in their court. The OT has phoned me saying she wants to do some relaxation techniques with my son and his his TA. So, if it is a real problem it would be worth asking your GP for a referal to make sure there is no medical reason behind it. If that is the case then the hospital can write to school saying that.

K x

Hi.I just wanted to second what Kathryn has said.We have had a Statement of SEN and a CAF was suggested at one stage.A CAF does not hold the weight of a Statement at all.There are no obligations for professionals to comit to anything and nothing to make them follow through on what they do offer.

There is no reason why a CAF and an Assessment of SEN could not both be done.However a CAF does not replace an assessment of SEN at all.

I thought it worth adding.Any assessments for a CAF need only be very brief.Also only professionals that the individual setting up the CAF invites to be involved may participate.A CAF is intended as a first stage very basic assessment of a child's needs.Professionals are not obliged to provide written reports in the same way as they would for an assessment for a Statement.

Edited by Karen A

When you say he suffers with his stomach what do you mean?

Could he be anxious and stressed and that is upsetting his stomach. If you think that is the case then raise that as well. I recently had my son referred because he kept vomiting, feeling sick, stomach pain, migraines etc. The paediatrician wrote to school that he does not have a medical condition causing this and that it is more likely to be due to stress and anxiety. Therefore the ball is back in their court. The OT has phoned me saying she wants to do some relaxation techniques with my son and his his TA. So, if it is a real problem it would be worth asking your GP for a referal to make sure there is no medical reason behind it. If that is the case then the hospital can write to school saying that.

hi sally,when i said my son suffers from his stomach i meant that he gets alot of stomach pains and constipation and if anxious gets the runs and vomiting and he also has a lot of sensory issues around his bowel movements which make him virtually unable to wipe his own bottom as the smell makes him sick.Perhaps the education think this is normal for a child that is almost 11.I just dont know who to trust regarding the statementing is it the educations aim to save money and not to statement whilst my child is suffering without those concerned even realising he was having all these problems