vicbee

DAUGHTER STARTED SECONDARY SCHOOL (SPECIAL)

Hi

Ive posted on here a bit about my struggle over the past 18 months - getting my 12 year old's diagnosis and Statement of Special Needs and about her associated eating disorder where she has a fear of choking on solid food.

I just want to add a positive post for once to say that my daughter started at her new high school which is a special school for moderate to profound learning difficulties which i was a little sceptical about as she is quite able and bright but would never have coped in a mainstream high school due to her immaturity and social difficulties so the only alternative was this school. I knew back in the school holidays that she would be ok at this school but of course i was still anxious. She has been there 2 and a half weeks now and I cannot tell you the joy i feel in my heart when she gets dropped off by her taxi in the afternoon and she is HAPPY! She cannot wait to go to school every day and just to see this on her face has made every meltdown, tantrum, unbearable moment and struggle over the past 12 years and especially the past 18 months very worth while.

Elizabeth used to go to school and be the one who was different - be picked on, be bullied, be blamed for everything that went wrong, ostracised by her peers, made to feel stupid because she couldnt perform academically like the others. Now, and overnight she has become top dog at her school. She is accepted by everyone as everyone has their own quirkiness and nobody cares. she can be her 'calls a spade a spade' self without mum being called in by the headteacher because so and so's mother has been into school YET again to complain that elizabeth keeps calling her daughter fat! Instructions are given clearly for the benefit of all and so Elizabeth can respond properly, teachers are noticing when she is feeling uncomfortable and anxious in a situation and providing alternatives. the school is understanding of her eating disorder and WANT to help to improve things.

I am so happy that Elizabeth is happy that i want to scream it from the rooftops!!!

We have a long way to go before she will possibly eat normally again but the foundations for her feeling happy and relaxed so that she can build on her eating problems are being formed by her good experience at school. How must this feel for a child who has always been put down since reception year to go to school and feel worthy - I dont think elizabeth actually realises this but her general behaviour and outlook has improved tenfold and so it speaks for itself.

Sorry to go on and on but it feels good to be where I am at right now. It is early days and I know there are problems at any school but for now just let me wallow in it!! it feels good!!

Vicbee - one flippin happy mum - as if you couldnt tell!!!!

I am so pleased for you and your daughter it is fantastic news. Every child deserves the right to be happy and feel safe at school. I hope she makes progress with her eating difficulties. Well done for getting the school you wanted for Elizabeth and i hope she remains as positive throughout her school life.

:thumbs:>:D<<'> this is for you for trying so hard and not giving up, so well done there, and I can sooo relate to your post being in similair situation to yourself, it is amazing the differences that the different enviroements can do for a child with complex needs, I recommend you do shout it out, go somewhere romote and scream it all out, I did and I felt amazing, I really do wish your Daughter the best and even more happiness to come in the very near future, it sounds like the fight was all worth while and now you can sit back a little and take it all in.

JsMumxxxx

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

So good to hear some good news :D

I hope she continues to thrive, and who knows...maybe her eating disorder might start to improve as she gets more and more settled? >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

It's so good to read school has become a good place for her - definitely a cause for celebration and shouting from the rooftops! :thumbs: I hope the improvements to her life continue.

Definitely a motivating post and shows there is light in the dark tunnels we travel to do the best for our children.

Edited by Pennygarden

Thank you for all your responses - its made me feel even more proud just reading through them because you are right - it is what everyone on here is striving for for their children and it can be done!! Whoo Hoo! (sorry, im still on one!! I may come crashing down next week but hey - Ive dealt with worse! :LOL!!)