Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Waiting for the RSPCA to collect a pigeon

I'm birdsitting a pigeon in a catbox. :unsure:

My homicidal cat has never had a close encounter with a bird before but today she was in the conservatory "playing" with the pigeon which was flapping around but unable to fly. I opened the door wide and window wide and managed to get the cat inside the house. Poor thing sat on the doorstep for ages then managed to hobble outside. I left it just to see if it was shaken up and would recover but 2 hours later it was still on the grass, occasionally limping but mostly sitting.

I got a tea towel and the catbox and managed to pick it up without too much difficulty. It's fairly alert but obviously weak and can't move a lot - I think it's the leg that's injured. I called the RSPCA and I'm waiting for them to phone or ring back - we're quite near a rescue centre.

I don't think injured wild birds have a good prognosis as they get traumatised easily from what I've heard, but I'd rather it was in a place where it can be treated humanely rather than left to become supper for one of the neighbourhood cats. It's still alert enough to be given a chance, at least.

Hope they come soon - I really need to go out! And I don't even like pigeons that much!

K x

I dont like your chances much. Birds are an RSPB thing rather than RSPCA and when I have found them in the past havent had much help with the more common or "pest" type ones. There is an automated message in fact to say to just leave it and let nature take its course!

I think they are more concerned about the rare type birds, which is a shame!

The best thing you can do while you wait is give it access to sugar water & leave it in as peaceful a place as possible XX

If you dont get any luck then I would take it to your local PDSA or equivalent & let them decide its fate :(

Pigeons are considered vermin.

It is illegal to release vermin into the wild.

Even if the pigeon recovers it cannot be released.

This is the same for grey squirrels.

I often wander what people who use those humane live rat traps do with their live rat, the only legal option is to kill it.

Edited by chris54

Oh No, it not nice what cats do, they actually just play with the injured bird too, not really kill it, its no fun when the bird is dead, but hopping and running cats love that, bless them both, pure nature, we cant really get too involved with it because that is there instincts, even though they get lovely whiskers or felix to eat daily, it doesnt stop them playing, my cat loves the local frogs that hop in our garden from local garden ponds, I get worred incase its ever a toad, as they can be poisonous.

Pigeons Im told carry many diseases so make sure you wear disposable gloves and wash your hands after, dont want you getting Pigeon flue, anyway I remeber reading a brilliant article about pigeons that gave me a different view, there actually very inteligent.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...r-fountain.html

What will the rspca do you think?

Does your cat wear a bell at all on her coller, our does and it does keep the birds away at least.

JsMumxxx

Well eventually the RSPCA came by which time the bird was very unresponsive, but still alive - miraculously- although all afternoon I expected it to die any second. The lovely lady who came said she would take it to a wild bird rescue centre in Bedfordshire where they had the expertise to treat it. She confirmed it was in shock but said they would do their best: could possibly set a broken leg, but sometimes they tend to die overnight when they're in that state. So they do care!

J's mum, the cat wore a bell until a few days ago, when she somehow got her leg stuck through the collar and I took it off her. Hadn't got round to replacing it yet! She's never had a bird before but I've rescued a couple of frogs from her.

I agree with letting nature take its course, but in this case it would have meant certain massacre in my garden and I wasn't prepared to watch that happen. Cats will be cats, I believe the prey should at least have a fighting chance to get away.

Oh well, excitement over for the day!

K x

Glad the RSPCA came to collect it and it has a good chance of surviving, the Pigeon he is very lucky that you are such a caring lady to come and rescue him, you do know he will be on your mind now though, and were all going to want to know the fate of the evening, so we will require an update, prayers for tonight for the little Pigeon.xxx

JsMum

I love pigeons but couldn't eat a whole one... :D

This one has the sweetest little eyes, actually.

K c

The breasts are very nice... a fresh green salad and pickled pear accompaniment works very well :)

Obviously, Ben wouldn't let this opportunity go by:

linkyplinkythng

:D

The breasts are very nice... a fresh green salad and pickled pear accompaniment works very well :)

Obviously, Ben wouldn't let this opportunity go by:

linkyplinkythng

If pigeons carry a lot of diseases are they really safe to eat? or are they bred purely for been eaten and a different breed to the chavvy town pigeon?

It really isnt sounding very apealing to eat a pigeon at all guys.

JsMumxxx

I think they must be bred specially - or legally shot - I don't know. I've just discovered there is a whole forum devoted to the sport of pigeon shooting! :unsure::lol:

Pigeon is quite a popular dish - (tastes like chicken probably. :D )

Some pigeon recipes

Anyone fancy the braised pigeon in chocolate sauce? :sick:

K x

If pigeons carry a lot of diseases are they really safe to eat? or are they bred purely for been eaten and a different breed to the chavvy town pigeon?

It really isnt sounding very apealing to eat a pigeon at all guys.

JsMumxxx

Hmmm. Your average chicken is none too healthy either, which is why we have to cook eggs 'properly' these days (just ask Edwina) and never serve poultry 'rare' :lol:

Pig meat, on the other hand is very clean - they bath every day in radox and use their own brstles as loofahs ;)

Seriously, though, if I was to hazard a guess I reckon Kathryn's pigeon was a collared dove rather than your standard rock dove (town pigeon). And of course, I wouldn't really eat it... :whistle:

:eat:

Yep - I've heard good things about squirrel too - but NEVER eat it on the Isle of Wight :shame:

L&P

BD :D

Seriously, though, if I was to hazard a guess I reckon Kathryn's pigeon was a collared dove rather than your standard rock dove (town pigeon). And of course, I wouldn't really eat it... :whistle:

Yes, the RSPCA person said it was a dove.

According to the RSPB site there isn't much difference between the two species.

K x

Yes, the RSPCA person said it was a dove.

According to the RSPB site there isn't much difference between the two species.

K x

Nope - not much at all... Ditto the 'dove' dove - the pretty white one that carries an olive branch in it's beak. They're all much of a muchness apart from the colour of their feathers. Wood pigeons have plumper breasts, though (fnar fnar) and 'cos of their habitat tend to eat a much healthier more natural diet - so if you're gonna eat any I'd go for them!

Enjoyed the story of your pigeon. Not sure I'd fancy eating any sort of pigeon, with or without chocolate sauce. I'll just have the chocolate sauce, thanks.

I went into my kitchen one day to find a big fat pigeon siting on the worktop looking at me ! Managed to shoo it outside but it kept loitering in the garden, which was very dangerous considering I have three cats who would think nothing of scoffing a whole pigeon for tea. Hubby managed to get hold of it and it had a ring with a number. Anyway, we phoned the RSPCA who said it was a racing pigeon, they took the number and said they would inform the owner. Apparently, it had probably crash landed and was exhaused and disorientated. I managed to round up the cats and get them indoors, but they sussed it was there and kept looking out the bedroom window at it. It was on our extension roof for hours before it flew away. I wonder whether the little feathered chap ever made it home - we never heard from the owner.

Another occasion, one of our cats caught a wood pigeon - which are quite large fellas - and managed to get it and herself through the catflap. The pigeon had not given up the fight and then proceeded to fly round our downstairs before the cat finally got it. We came home to feathers EVERYWHERE. It was completely revolting. :sick::sick::sick::sick::tearful:

Edited by Daisydot

My homicidal cat has never had a close encounter with a bird before but today she was in the conservatory "playing" with the pigeon which was flapping around but unable to fly.

She wasn't watching the Alan Davies cat/pigeon sketch with you by any chance? :unsure:

EDIT: to add link

Edited by Mumble

No - she doesn't need any more encouragement. :ph34r:

Today's animal story - slightly grimmer: L and I came across a dead cat on the verge at the end of our road. No sign of a struggle - it may have been hit by a car. :( I gave a description to the local vet surgery about it just in case anyone reports a missing cat - didn't know what else to do. I was reluctant to ring the RSPCA again - if I keep reporting injured or dead animals they might start thinking I've got some bizarre variation of Munchausen's :ph34r::rolleyes:

K x

Mayvebe you should get a job as a vet or actually work for the RSPCA!

I would be so sad if that had happend to my cat, my male cat is poorly at the moment with quite serious injuries from another cats claw, it pretty deep too, im taking him to the vet on Monday if his wounds havent got any better, kathryn your just a caring lady thats all.

JsMumxxx

kathryn your just a caring lady thats all.

Probably, but just to be safe, I'm keeping my goldfish well away from Kathryn and won't be bringing them to the Christmas meet. :lol: :lol:

JsMum - Hope your cat is feeling better soon. :)