Sally44

CAF/Direct Payments

I am trying to get Social Services to assess myself (as a carer) and my son to see if he is eligible for direct payments. I was thinking that as he is getting older he needs someone to go with him to any clubs he wishes to join. He cannot attend these clubs without support, and depending on the activity, he may need 1:1 throughout the session. Also I feel he needs to start doing things with other people and not just mum all the time.

Anyway, I am being sent in circles and this has been going on for a while now.

Anyway, my latest conversation with SS seemed to be telling me that I needed school to complete a CAF form. However when I read about Direct Payments it doesn't mention a CAF form at all and that you just need to phone SS and ask for an assessment - which is what I did!!

So what is the procedure?? I want to phone SS tomorrow, because if a CAF is not needed I don't see the point of going through all of that time consuming process, especially as he is already statemented.

Also any advice as to what direct payments for disabled children and carers can be used for would be helpful.

I am mainly thinking about paying a carer to accompany him maybe once a week to a club of his choice, or the cinema or swimming etc. And also finding someone qualified to sit with him so that we can get out of the house.

Hi Sally

This is the exact situation that I was in. I want someone who can take my 12 year old daughter to social activities as she is joined to my left hip ALL the time and not developing any independence from me which is not healthy as just the two us live together alone. It was my daughter's psychologist who suggested direct payments to me. You do indeed need the CAF form to be filled in (I dont know if there is any other way) but the psychologist arranged all this and we had what was called a TAC meeting - Team Around the Child which brought together the school, and every other professional dealing with my daughter to ensure that all the relevant information was provided for the assessment. I think I am very lucky with the psychologist who oversees my daughter's case because she just seems to know what to do and when and does it immediately. Shortly after the form was submitted Social Services contacted me to arrange to come out and do an assessment - she didnt need to see much because the form was filled in well and provided all the information. she just needed to see us in person. We were awarded direct payments shortly afterwards and I am now in the process of trying to find someone suitable for my daughter. The direct payments system seems very daunting when you first start out and i havent got my head round it yet but social services pass the case on to a support service who help you all the way to set it up and implement the payments and can help you find someone. I dont know how it works in your area but this is the procedure i followed. I would get in touch with any of the professionals who your child sees and ask them if they would be prepared to do the form for you as I think you are more likely to be awarded DP if you have the backing of the people who support your child.

Good luck - I hope this has been of some help. I just need to find someone now for my daughter and I think its going to take a while...so we will see. Maybe the form filling is the easy part!

Vicbee

Edited by vicbee

My understanding is that if you receive direct payments you become an 'employer'. Do you know if that status affects other benefits that parents might receive especially if they are disabled themselves?

My understanding is that if you receive direct payments you become an 'employer'. Do you know if that status affects other benefits that parents might receive especially if they are disabled themselves?

No it doesnt as far as im aware. The money you are paid has to be put into a bank account that is separate from all your other finances and used soley for receiving the DP and paying your carer. Someone will explain everything to you if and when you get awarded.

Gotta dash - victoria

Hi.The CAF form may well be the first stage in a referal to Social Services.You would probably need an assessment by social services to enable a decision to be made regarding whether you would qualify for direct payments.Social Services decide locally on direct payments .So if you want to be assessed it may be worth jumping through the hoops they have in place.If you decline the CAF they may well just say they do not have the information to conduct an Assessment. :)

We have just applied for an NAS befriender.The information suggests that a befriender might offer support for involvement in Social Activities or interests so that might be another avenue worth exploring.Karen.

Hi Sally

Good luck - I hope this has been of some help. I just need to find someone now for my daughter and I think its going to take a while...so we will see. Maybe the form filling is the easy part!

Vicbee

Hi.I think the form filling probably is the easy part.

The local paper has regular adverts that are for people to support people who wish to find someone to support them using direct payments.I am keeping an eye open.If the right thing came up I might well be tempted.I have worked as a district nurse and with my personal experience I should be ideal.I look at the list of requirements,the need for a regular comitment for a few regular hours often at unsocial times and the salary on offer and wonder how anyone finds anybody. :) Karen.

Hello, my son and our family were assessed by the children's disability social worker but it was slightly different to the CAF and our social worker mentioned we could get direct payment or they offer a sessional worker which might be better for you as you don't have to worry about paying tax NI etc for someone.

OH's social worker sorted out all our direct payment application - she asked what we wanted, then wrote a report saying we needed double that! then after a while, we were approved. OH is now an employer and it makes no difference to his IB/DLA etc.

The whole process was handled by the social worker, and no other professionals were even asked for their opinion as far as I am aware (although I expect the diagnosis & prognosis were checked). Much to my surprise, after just about one year, they haven't come to check out who we employed or how it's going!!! the money just appears each month, and gets paid right back out again :thumbs:

Direct payments are means tested - we did a bit of additional arguing (through the SW) to get out of the top up payments they originally requested.

Social workers are an varied bunch - I still haven't managed to get one for DS - possibly becasue I put a formal complaint in about childrens SS last time I had any contact with them :rolleyes: I feel it is unlikely I will ever get one now..... But I'm not pushing. If your SW isn't helping, you may need to push.

You should be able to get your direct payments to cover the cost of getting someone to manage the payroll for you, employers' liability insurance, etc. There are companies which do this at lower cost for people receiving direct payments. Get everything costed so you can present to SS exactly what it is you need.