Aliyah

Hi, newbie from London

Hi everyone, I'm a female (54 and still young) currently living in London. I only heard of the term Aspergers on another totally unrelated website, and when I casually googled what it meant I was taken aback as much of it described me.

I am not going for an official diagnosis because, apart from just 'knowing' and not needing the label confirmed, I just don't want to spend the time and energy or go through the hassle of doing that, especially as I've survived this long without diagnosis anyway.

I had a major meltdown in the pub a few days ago (where we hold our monthly tenants meetings) because of sensory overload etc and ended up storming out. I asked them at the bar if they would turn down the music and they did slightly for a few seconds, only to put it back up again, so I couldn't tune into what anyone was saying (and I was supposed to be taking the minutes). Other factors were added to the meltdown, and since then I've been taking refuge in my flat, not going out at all for the next few days. I will emerge today to take a walk in the park, but just wanted to say hello on this forum first.

Apart from being highly sensitive to noise, I also have the eye contact problem and often say things that others would consider to be socially inappropriate. I also sometimes repeat what others have just said and even what I've just said, plus don't always have control over the volume or tone or my voice. The only friends I really have now are those I've made online. Fortunately I enjoy my own company and can spend long periods of time alone (which I need anyway), but still like people and enjoy the company of others, although group situations feel more challenging than one to one conversations. I sometimes get accused of interrupting, and then I get overly stressed when I experience their annoyance as I'm not deliberately trying to be rude. I used to have a phone phobia but am getting a bit better at that, yet still try to insist on email contact for everything. I'm not physically clumsy and don't have all of the symptoms, but can relate to being obsessive about focusing on one interest for ages at a time. I've managed to reach a place of self-esteem despite everything.

I'll not go on, just wanted to give a bit more background than just saying hello.

I'm relieved that there are others who may be like me who have similar challenges. I suspect my father may have had Aspergers too, and it is all starting to make more sense to me now.

Grateful for this messageboard.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Don't worry about the multiple threads the mods sorted one for me the other day and I like Pearl need to get a life. :lol:

Hi everyone, I'm a female (54 and still young) currently living in London. I only heard of the term Aspergers on another totally unrelated website, and when I casually googled what it meant I was taken aback as much of it described me.

I am not going for an official diagnosis because, apart from just 'knowing' and not needing the label confirmed, I just don't want to spend the time and energy or go through the hassle of doing that, especially as I've survived this long without diagnosis anyway.

Hi Aliyah

Welcome to the website from another London gal in her mid 50s.

Hi Kathryn, yes I did enjoy a brief spell in the park, sitting in the sunshine and just watching the fountains. Can't get vit D deprived by staying indoors all the time, plus I needed to go out and buy food as the cupboards were bare.

Hi Jannih, good to meet another London gal in my age group, and many thanks for the welcome !

Hi Aliyah and welcome! Glad you enjoyed your walk.

I got confused about the 'Norfolk Broads' status too when I first joined! :rolleyes:

I have just been diagnosed age 39, but can understand your reasons for not wanting to seek diagnosis as it is a hassle and something you have to keep pushing for. There is a lot of support you can access anyway, and everyone is really friendly here.

I'm glad Pearl that you and others here are around my age too (although I'm not sure how mature I am - just been around a long time :D ), as I was finding a lot on the internet about children and needed to speak with adults who have AS. I also watched a lot of youtube videos from many different aspies too. I just mainly needed to connect with others in similar situations, share experiences and I feel I can probably get all the help/support/advice online anyway. I am still taken aback that there is actually a word for being like this, and that it is shared by so many. When I first read the list of symptoms I thought "hey, this isn't a medical condition as most of that even applies to me." :o Which prompted much online research to find out more.

Yes, lifevoyager, everyone DOES seem very friendly here, and I'm glad I found this place. It's a start.