skye

Melatonin. WOOHOO

DD was prescribed Melatonin last week and I have been waiting until Friday night to test it out in case of any side effects. I have been a bit apprehensive about giving it to DD for fear of side effects etc. I gave it to her last night and then we started playing Go Fish. Half way through the game she said she was tired put her cards down and went upstairs. I followed and got her ready for bed, I asked her which bedtime story she would like and she said that she didn't want a bedtime story because she was so tired. I went downstairs to feed the cat and when I came back up she was asleep!! It's amazing!! I wanted to sing it from the rooftops. My daughter is asleep before eleven!

Normally she would fight about coming upstairs and then she would beg for about 3 or 4 stories. She would come downstairs at least twice telling me that her brain will not be quiet and that she isn't tired. Then she would continure to sing and make high pitched noises in her bed for a few hours until finally going to sleep about 3 hours after she was put down. She has never slept properly. Even as a baby she never slept. It has always been a huge struggle and one of the last hurdles that we needed to sort out to make our lives better.

I am really excited. I am aware that sometimes kids become tollerant to the medication but for now I say WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :thumbs:

I loved your post, its soo descriptive I can see, hear your joy, the side effects only occur over 7mg and this can be nightmares or if a child has epilepsy then they can increase a fit, but its a double edge because lack of sleep can also cause nightmares and seizures so its about a ballance.

It sounds like her tollerance is quite sensitive and that is why she reacted quickly, I give my son a break for one weekend a month, only because if you disrupt it too much it really effects the sleeping cycle, so for us the once a month break is really benefiting J.

Let us know how she goes.

Faboulous post.

JsMumxxx

Sorry it's taken so long to come back to this post. The whole family had a severe cold that lasted over a week. W are finally all feeling better though!! Just an update on the Melatonin or "magic orange juice" as it is called now. Libby has her melatonin at 7:30 and is asleep by 8:45!! It's amazing! It still makes me smile and giggle when she yawns and talks about being tired. It is still totally new to us that she even looks tired or much less says that she is tired. So far we have no complaints. No side effects and good nights sleep! WOOHOO >:D<<'>

Has there been any benefits during the day, if she is getting more sleep is it improving her behaviour/concentration/mood ect.... just wondered as sleep deprivation effect all these and by getting the recommended sleep can make a lot of difference so is there any, sorry to hear about your cold, glad your better, I wonder if the extra sleep ensured you all rested and got better quicker?

Anyway feel free to give us another update,

JsMumxxxx

Hi skye

Wow, how amazing ! I've heard about melatonin, but my son wouldn't take anything at all anyway :tearful: .

It's amazing what a relief it is when they sleep and you can have at least a mental break from them, even if you find it difficult to sleep yourself after so long of her not being able to sleep.

I'm really really pleased for you. :thumbs:

JSMum, I haven't noticed much improvement during the day. She is starting to have a really tough time in school again, due to a lot of changes with teachers etc. It's really hard to tell right now as all of that stuff is up in the air. I am going to tour the ASD Unit of a local primary school next week. I just hope that it all works out. So far so good with the Melatonin though, no noticable sleepiness or anything in the day. I have to say she is still waking in the night though.

Mandapanda,

Same here with the not taking anything. My daughter had to be held down by 3 nurses to be given some paracetamol in her bum because she had a super high fever. They never did manage to get it in there and she was admitted to hospital until her temp came down. I have found some disolvable paracetmol that you put in juice and she is fine with that(unknowingly). She does not even know about the melatonin. She likes a drink of orange juice after tea, I just open the capsule and stir it in. It pretty much disappears. I give her the orange juice in the front room at 7*30 and only have the tv and a small light on so that she will not notice if there is any bits of powder there. The lengths we go through!! So far she hasn't even noticed, this from a kid that can tell the difference between Asda and Morrisons peanut butter spread thin on a sandwich. So may be worth a try?!

Thanks for the well wishes and I hope everything is going great for you all too :thumbs: . XOXO Skye