Sign in to follow this  
joanc12

Grammar School

Hello

Looking some advise re school. I live in N. Ireland. My 12yr old is not yet diagnosed but is highly probable to be Asperger's. Behavioual problems arised at end of first year at grammar school although he never really settled once moving schools. To be honest, he has always hated school but the change has certainly brought on major problems. Homework is a big issue. He never instigates homework and as a result, we could still be at homework late in the evening. Some of the homework he forgets to record in his planner which results in a negative record by that particular teacher. I do not think grammar school is the best place for him because of its "strictness" and "negativity"but until he is diagnosed, I feel totally powerless. The school are aware of the probable Asperger's and I am in contact with the SENCO. Every day however, there is some note about work not completed, no effort being made etc... There is very little positive reinforcement. If he had been picked up and diagnosed in primary school, I do not think we would have considered the grammar school an option. Has anyone had a similar problem. It could be up to a year before we get a formal diagnosis. I do not know of any quicker routes. :(

If you child is not being given the right support to record homework than the school are discriminating against his disability. The school need to look at different ways of getting homework instruction to you. This could be via email, post or telephone call. Or it could be as simple as the teacher writing the home work in your sons planner at the end of each lesson.

I know of another boy who went to grammer school who had to have a lsa to write down notes and homework. The LSA communicated with the parent via email letter or telephone and this method worked well. The young man managed to make it throught grammar school

If you child is not being given the right support to record homework than the school are discriminating against his disability. The school need to look at different ways of getting homework instruction to you. This could be via email, post or telephone call. Or it could be as simple as the teacher writing the home work in your sons planner at the end of each lesson.

I know of another boy who went to grammer school who had to have a lsa to write down notes and homework. The LSA communicated with the parent via email letter or telephone and this method worked well. The young man managed to make it throught grammar school

Thank you for that. Will definitely look into it.

The disaplin and the structure could offer your son great security and provide a safe place to learn, however if the teachers and senco do not start making resonable adjustments and provide the support that your son NEEDS then this could get to a point were your son disengages, and the signs are already there in homework and he is regulary forgetting key instructions which may require further investigation Im thinking ADD/ADHD or Dyslexia, it could be he is having difficulites Processing and it can acompany AS/HFA

I am not sure of the rules for SEN in NI but here in England when a child is having outside agencies involved he can be placed on the School Action Plus which would place him on the Special Needs Register.

The school certainly dont need to be stalling and waiting for a DX it is clear he is already having difficulties with planning and organising, processing and has great difficulties with transition and changes, they should be meeting his needs and there is no reason to hang on here for a dx to come because they need to be dealing with now.

I would request a meeting ASAP with key proffessionals (Senco HT Form Tutor GP Peadatrition exct) and request that an IEP and some extra support be put in place for your son now and that this needs to be urgent otherwise your sons decline could start to effect his mental health as well which Im suspecting is maybe already starting to happen.

you do not need a DX but you need to prove that your son is having difficulties in particular key areas of his education due to his develoment been either impaired or delayed.

Good Luckxxxx

JsMumxxxx

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp...762&a=15841

Hi.I found this link for you.I think it is specific information regarding education and SEN in N.Ireland as there are some differences between N.Ireland and England.

If you need some phone advice the NAS also have an Education Advocacy Service on their web-site.

My son is 11 and has AS.He attends a mainstrem comprehensive school in England.There are other pupils at the school with AS and the school have attempted to improve provision for pupils with AS in the last couple of years.I have to say though we have still had some diffficulties and homework is one of them.....I was attempting to help Ben complete some at 0850 this morning. :rolleyes:

I have found that establishing Email contact has worked well.School also have a card with information regarding Ben's needs which includes a photograph which has been given to all staff in contact with Ben.The SENCO has worked with particular staff so that they are aware of Ben's needs and ways of dealing with things.Ben talks like a 21 year old graduate and so staff have previously expected him to have the emotional maturity at that level as well.Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Thank you all for the advice. I have been into the school and asked them to help with recording the homework. I had a positive reception. Most teachers are doing just that. A few don't seem to be too interested esp French and Art! I think they are having a race to see who can give my son the most notes re homework! Getting him to do the homework is still a big issue but I feel a bit better knowing that the school is trying to put in place some constructive ideas.

Also that I have support from all in the forum.

Many thanks

Joan

I've found the grammar school to be the best choice for my DS he is quiet with select friends who tend to have the same interests as him, the school have a good selection of lunch and after school clubs where he can go. The first 3 years he had help in certain subjects from a classroom assistant who checked all homework was recorded and did write notes that he had not time to take down in class in a home/school liaison book which was sent home every day. Some of the teachers where very good and give out photo copies. I was also given home telephone numbers to use if needed. Bullying was nipped in the bud straight away, now in 4th year and in great form he has dropped all the subjects which he hated and enjoys his chosen subjects. The subjects he loathed he made no effort with and after the first parents night I just sailed past them he was never going to take them any further into GCSE. I would recommend that you get him a formal diagnosis which will help with his work and future exams. Have you asked if their are any other kids with the same difficulties as your son and have they been diagnosised with AS, if there is you could talk to the parents and get advice about what the school has put in place for them, remember no two kids are the same and they will all have different needs but it would be good to know that the school was prepared to help. Ask his teachers to correct his behavior in a positive manner and to encourage positive thinking, sometimes he will make mistakes. I sent a letter in when he first started outlining his strengths and his difficulties and everyone found it extremely helpful in understanding him. Homework was rewarded with extra time on his computer games or whatever he was interested in. Good luck!

I've found the grammar school to be the best choice for my DS he is quiet with select friends who tend to have the same interests as him, the school have a good selection of lunch and after school clubs where he can go. The first 3 years he had help in certain subjects from a classroom assistant who checked all homework was recorded and did write notes that he had not time to take down in class in a home/school liaison book which was sent home every day. Some of the teachers where very good and give out photo copies. I was also given home telephone numbers to use if needed. Bullying was nipped in the bud straight away, now in 4th year and in great form he has dropped all the subjects which he hated and enjoys his chosen subjects. The subjects he loathed he made no effort with and after the first parents night I just sailed past them he was never going to take them any further into GCSE. I would recommend that you get him a formal diagnosis which will help with his work and future exams. Have you asked if their are any other kids with the same difficulties as your son and have they been diagnosised with AS, if there is you could talk to the parents and get advice about what the school has put in place for them, remember no two kids are the same and they will all have different needs but it would be good to know that the school was prepared to help. Ask his teachers to correct his behavior in a positive manner and to encourage positive thinking, sometimes he will make mistakes. I sent a letter in when he first started outlining his strengths and his difficulties and everyone found it extremely helpful in understanding him. Homework was rewarded with extra time on his computer games or whatever he was interested in. Good luck!

I had already decided to bypass those teachers on the next parents meeting! Glad you did the same. His form teacher is very good and is working on a positive behaviour programme. I have also asked the school to refer him to the Educational psychologist from their end to aid the diagnosis. It seems to be a very slow process with a large waiting list. I know that there is at least one other Aperger's in the school but not who they are. My son has no outside interests which is a big downfall but he does have one good friend who comes to the house regularly. I was away for a few days there and was panicking about the homework. My daughter and friend supervised for me so it was done (the recorded parts anyway!) I think he behaves better when I am away!

If he is academically capable and able then a grammar school environment may be suitable if it is rigid, predictable, highly structured. However he will need supporting in any areas of difficulty to ensure he is able to succeed in that environment. Along with other suggestions, have you googled 'executive functions'. These are skills that help us organise, plan, sequence, manage time etc. There is a very good website (USA) which you could look at www.schoolbehavior.com

And it is common for those on the spectrum to be putting so much effort into getting through the school day, that attempting them to do anything 'school related', including homework, is just impossible.

I don't know what the 'status' is of grammar schools in the UK or NI. Does the Local Authority have an Autism Advisory or Outreach Teacher that could go into the school? Usually the school need to ask them to come in and I don't know if a grammar school is considered 'independent'. Also check if they need a diagnosis before they can become involved. In our LEA they just need a 'suspected' diagnosis of an ASD.

I would also contact the NAS NI branch and get some advice that is specific for your area.

Hello again. I'm still on the same topic of education. I have been into the school and recording of homework has improved. However I do have an issue with Music. My son has never been able to get the knack of playing the Tin Whistle partly because in Primary School, he had the wrong notes for a long time. I know he is expected to make an effort in every class and I appreciate that but he has a class test in Music and the teacher expects him to be able to play a Fanfare and be assessed on that. He got told off today for not having learned it and is to be re tested on Wednesday! A note in his planner said he had had a week to prepare for this. In my opinion, if my son had a year to prepare, he would do no better. I have wrote a note to the teacher explaining about him not being able to play the tin whistle and would welcome any suggestions she had but ..... Am I being unreasonable about this? Did anyone come across similar issues? Art would have similar issues. Would welcome any replies.

Joan

Hello again. I'm still on the same topic of education. I have been into the school and recording of homework has improved. However I do have an issue with Music. My son has never been able to get the knack of playing the Tin Whistle partly because in Primary School, he had the wrong notes for a long time. I know he is expected to make an effort in every class and I appreciate that but he has a class test in Music and the teacher expects him to be able to play a Fanfare and be assessed on that. He got told off today for not having learned it and is to be re tested on Wednesday! A note in his planner said he had had a week to prepare for this. In my opinion, if my son had a year to prepare, he would do no better. I have wrote a note to the teacher explaining about him not being able to play the tin whistle and would welcome any suggestions she had but ..... Am I being unreasonable about this? Did anyone come across similar issues? Art would have similar issues. Would welcome any replies.

Joan

Hi.I think the music teacher is not taking into account the fact that your son has a disability which is almost certain to limit his ability to learn the tin whistle.

Ben is teaching himself to play electric guitar and is doing really well.However I could not imagine him being able to play the tin whistle.

I cannot imagine me ever being able to put up with the noise of him learning the tin whistle either. :lol:

The school should be making reasonable adjustments in view of your son's disability.This would include perhaps supporting your son to learn an alternative instrument or to access the curriculum in a different way

If the school has a SENCO then they should be able to support you.I say if because I am not sure about the system in N.Ireland.

My husband went to a grammar school in NIreland.He went to a school that came within the State system.I pressume that your son is in a similar situation.

Karen.

Edited by Karen A