Sign in to follow this  
NobbyNobbs

Irlen syndrome

while i was studying at university i was screened for Irlen syndrome and was found to have it. i was given blue overlays and applied for funding for tinted glasses. i was granted the funding through the Disableld Students Allowance, but before i could recieve my glasses i left university (due to a lack of support and without the necessary adjustments being made)

after spending the last 4 days struggling to read 20 pages of the new Terry Pratchett book i have dug out the overlays and chopped one in half :oops: so that i can use it in the book. the difference is incredible, ive read another 40 pages in the last hour or so.

obviously its rather impractical to use the overlay to read fiction, especially when you read as fast as i do with it on! so i need to get the tinted glasses, but dont know how to go about it/what it will cost/where to go. i also have to highlight any text on webpages (including here) in order to read it, so i know i will benefit a lot from getting the glasses.

does anyone else have experience of this that can give me some advice? will i need to fund this myself or is there some kind of medical grounds for it? do i just find somewhere local(ish) who is qualified?

i also have to highlight any text on webpages (including here) in order to read it,

what do you do to highlight your text?

If your on benefits you may be able to get help with at least an assessment, and maybe a reduction in the glassess.

Its incredible the difference the coloured lenses make isnt it.

I have similair problems too, though my problems are spatual awareness but I suffer a lot of sensory difficulties such as light sensitivity and sound especially if its a high pitch, I found that my assessment was amazing.

I will MP you who I saw.

JsMumxxx

thanks for the PM!

to highlight the text i just use the cursor to highlight a section of the text as if i were going to copy it. i generally split the text into blocks as this helps me to focus on where i'm reading. in word i change the page colour to blue or grey before i type/read documents.

its hard to seperate what problem comes from what. on my ed psych reports it was noted that if a red diagonal/horizontal/vertical line was introduced to a pattern or background i was completely unable to solve or read anything involved. i dont know if thats the ASD or the other problems or if its all wrapped up together.

funny moment. having typed all this up my mother knocked on my door and explained she was very sorry but she just dropped the iron on my coloured overlays and melted two of them! fortunately i still have 2 A4 and 3 A5s left after removing the melted bits

Edited by NobbyNobbs

That reminds me i must investigate the colorimeter contact lenses. i was hoping my DSA would pay for them, they said yes but i didn't manage it last year.

DSA are good that way. i waited 4 months for a tutor when i was distance learning with no class-hours, then she says i need these glasses and they take another 4 months to approve funding, then wonder why i dropped out!

i already wear glasses. can i get the coloured ones in a prescription lens? i wont be able to read otherwise

I got some great advice from Ian Jordon on this quite a few years ago. DS got blue lenses specially made and we had amazing results. It helped with reading, writing, co-ordination, walking, computer games the list is endless. We got help with an initial eye test but we paid for the intensive test and the blue lenses. This was well worth the money.