bid

Christmassy Meet!

By popular request!

London Christmassy Meet!! :bounce::clap:

We need to agree a date, so first of all please do any of our London members have an idea when the Christmassy markety stylee things open? :lol:

Bid :)

do any of our London members have an idea when the Christmassy markety stylee things open? :lol:

Hyde Park Traditional Christmas Market - 21st November - 3rd January, 10am - 10pm. I've been to this every year and each has been better than the last and it promises to to be bigger this year.

Hyde Park German Market and Winter Wonderland

Cologne Christmas Market on the South Bank - 20th November - 23rd December. Again very good and a nice atmosphere all along beside the Thames.

There is no Bankside Frost Fair this year (:() and no details yet for other markets.

Ohh, nearly Christmas :):jester::bounce: :bounce: :bounce::lol:

EDIT: to add link

Edited by Mumble

Cologne Christmas Market on the South Bank - 20th November - 23rd December. Again very good and a nice atmosphere all along beside the Thames.

I was confused for a minute . . . Cologne is a long way to go for the day!!!

That might be nice though, because German Christmas markets are supposed to be very good.

I was confused for a minute . . . Cologne is a long way to go for the day!!!

:lol: :lol: Now that would be a good Chrismassy meet. I went to the Berlin Christmas markets several years ago and had the most amazing weekend; reindeer in the markets, ice-skating outside with snow falling and then gluhwein to warm up afterwards. :cheers::)

Warren is interested in this. Now im a looser/lazy/dirty/alcoholic/broke/STD ridden/Work shy/(insert student stereotype here) student, i have christmas holidays off and most weekends too.

I might consider this, despite having 130-odd miles each way to travel(!), although the prospect of all-day shopping isn't exactly enticing! :lol:

Warren is interested in this. Now im a looser/lazy/dirty/alcoholic/broke/STD ridden/Work shy/(insert student stereotype here) student, i have christmas holidays off and most weekends too.

I'm all of that (except alcoholic and broke), and I don't even have being a student as an excuse! :lol:

James

The mention of Christmas makes me panic a bit - is it really that time of year?? :hypno::o

We could try ice skating at Somerset house?

K x

We could try ice skating at Somerset house?

Ooh, yes please, penguins are very partial to ice skating!! :bounce: :bounce: However, we would have to be very organised and book ... now. Booking opened some time ago and by previous experience will be selling out fast, particularly for a group and on weekends before Christmas.

Linky to Somerset House Ice Rink

Ooh, yes please, penguins are very partial to ice skating!! :bounce: :bounce: However, we would have to be very organised and book ... now. Booking opened some time ago and by previous experience will be selling out fast, particularly for a group and on weekends before Christmas.

Linky to Somerset House Ice Rink

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Mumble good to see you around.I missed you. :D

Karen.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Mumble good to see you around.I missed you. :D

Now, as an alternative to Christmassy Markets and/or ice skating, we could have another party at Karen's place if she's going away again? :P:devil:

BTW, Karen, what was in that slightly purple tinged bottle at the back of your drinks cabinet? :unsure: I haven't felt right since. :drunk: :drunk: :wacko::lol: :lol:

Could we do the ice skating and the Hyde Park Christmassy market?

:bounce::clap:

Dates I'm not working in November: Sats 7, 14, 21, 28. December I'm working every weekend during the term and then we're straight into Christmas.

Any thoughts? :)

Edited by bid

Any thoughts? :)

I try not to, it hurts my brain. :P

Could we do the ice skating and the Hyde Park Christmassy market?

Well there is an ice rink in Hyde Park that makes up part of the Winter Wonderland that the German Market is also part of it. However, my sister and I have been there (2 years ago) and really didn't like that ice rink - it was quite wet, had lots of leaves falling on it, and actually wasn't in the nicest park of the park at all.

It would be quite possible to do Somerset House ice rink and Hyde park market but we would need to look at transport between the two (pretty easy, but depends what others are comfortable with). I'd be quite happy with that, and if you're only coming to London once, the Hyde Park Winter Wonderland is definitely worth a visit. You can even see Father Christmas. :)

Or, we could do Somerset House Ice Rink and the German Market on the South Bank (about 10 minutes walk between the two) and maybe eat somewhere on the South Bank too - I'm sure there are places that do pizza!! :eat:

Should remember that any ice rink will be packed - just a as a warning.

Or, we could do Somerset House Ice Rink and the German Market on the South Bank (about 10 minutes walk between the two) and maybe eat somewhere on the South Bank too - I'm sure there are places that do pizza!! :eat:

Should remember that any ice rink will be packed - just a as a warning.

That sounds good, and is probably the most convenient. The rink will obviously be busy but at least the booking system limits numbers. How about the last weekend in November, whatever it is?

I know there's a very good Pizza Express just off the South Bank. :) There's also Giraffe which is good. Plenty of choice anyway.

Mumble, just noticed your avatar - it's very disturbing. :huh::lol:

K x

That sounds good, and is probably the most convenient. The rink will obviously be busy but at least the booking system limits numbers. How about the last weekend in November, whatever it is?

Sound good to me. That would be Saturday 28th November (or Sunday 29th). Once we know what date is good for the majority and definites we need to think about booking.

I know there's a very good Pizza Express just off the South Bank. :)

That's a great Pizza Express - would be quite happy going there.

There's also Giraffe which is good.

My favourite restaurant!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: I have a rather large collection of plastic giraffe cocktail stirrers from there! :lol:

Mumble, just noticed your avatar - it's very disturbing. :huh::lol:

Apologies - would you like me to change it? It arose from a joke with my sister where the 5 metre non-man eating shark (which was still pretty big and impressive) we saw had become 15 metres long and taken a chunk out of me - our Mum is so gullible she believed (and still believes) the whole story despite the more weird and wonderful details we keep adding in.

Sat Nov 28th, please as I'm working the Sunday night :)

So, Somerset House and the German Market on the South Bank??

Now, we'll need to know numbers to book the skating I think...

So, to start:

Bid

Mumble

Kathryn

Roll up, roll up! :lol:

Edited by bid

I'll be on for a Christmas Meet. I can't ice skate as I have arthritis in my toes ( getting on a bit, you see).

I would be on for all the other suggestions such as Hyde Park, Pizza Express. I love food and drink, so I don't care where I eat !

I would love to meet you all.

If people don't want to/can't ice skate but want to come to the meet they could meet later or come and watch the rest of us break various bones. Somerset House is a good choice of rink as it has a nice large (heated! :thumbs:) (licenced! :cheers:) café/bar running alongside the rink so you can stay warm and watch us. :)

Somerset House is a good choice of rink as it has a nice large (heated! :thumbs:) (licenced! :cheers:) café/bar running alongside the rink so you can stay warm and watch us. :)

Bars , cafes, now that's more like it !!!!!

So, making a command decision here... :ph34r:

LONDON CHRISTMASSY MEET, Sat Nov 28th.

Ice Skating at Somerset House, followed by The German Christmas Market on the South Bank.

So far:

Bid

Mumble

Kathryn

Jannih

Bid :bounce:

So far:

Bid

Mumble

Kathryn

Jannih

Bid :bounce:

There are two Bids going? :unsure::whistle::ph34r: I want to see the bouncy one on the ice!!! :devil::lol:

Right, I have put the 28th on my wall planner in permanent ink. Regardless of the rest of you, I will be going ice-skating and Christmassy marketing then :)

perhaps another time. i dont do well in cities and last time i went to london i spent most of my time crying (bad experience at the US embassy!), so i need to go to a few other busy places first i think.

I have to say i'm tempted, the last one you all had seemed such fun. I am rather shy though - meeting new people is quite hard, if i commit i will be a bundle of nerves from the moment i hit "Add Reply" :lol:

It is also more tempting now that someone else has said they will not be skating...... although i have no plausible excuse, just cowardice :lol:

I will have to think about this :)

Well if I come, I won't be ice-skating, so you won't have to book anything that includes me. So I don't have to decide well in advance. :whistle: The more people choose not to ice-skate, the better for me, coz then I'm less likely to be left on my own. :lol::unsure:

Down sides (other than my lack of ice-skating desire!): don't like shopping unless I have to, don't like pizza, don't know anyone very well. :lol: But other than all that, I'm up for it! :dance: So put me down as a "maybe" ... probably until November 27th. :lol:

There are two Bids going? :unsure::whistle::ph34r: I want to see the bouncy one on the ice!!! :devil::lol:

I think "bouncy bid" was just her sign-off. :P

James

Hi,

I would love to come but don't want to skate. Maybe I will just watch you or come later.

What time do you have in mind? I hope not too early since I don't live in London.

Danaxxx

Just bumping this up to check who is still interested in meeting up on 28th as suggested, as it's less than three weeks away.

Unfortunately I've since found out that my other half has to work, so I have possible childcare problems on that day. :wacko: I may be able to come for a shorter time but I'm not sure about that at the moment and won't know until nearer the time. I'm sure you'll cope without me though!

So, who's in, who's out, and who's still thinking about it? :)

K x

Ooooh, I'd forgotten all about this!

I'm pretty sure I'm free that day. I am definitely not up for ice skating, but I'm happy to watch the bags or something.

So, who's in, who's out,

... shake it all about ...

Hmm, the Hocky Cocky on Ice sounds like fun :wacko::lol::bounce:

I'm in either for the 28th or any other date if better for others :) If we're changing the date, I'm OK with anything apart from 29th and in fact later into the year is better.

I am definitely not up for ice skating, but I'm happy to watch the bags or something.

Who are you callin' a bag? :ph34r::lol: (joke!)

So, who's in, who's out, and who's still thinking about it? :)

Same as before (post #25). :)

James

I can't make it this time I'm afraid...

...but have fun!! :thumbs:

>:D<<'> It'll be a shame not to see you. Maybe another time :)

They've finished building and freezing the rink (the Christmas tree is up too and I didn't even mind that it's a bit early because it is gorgeous and shiny and sparkly :hypno: :hypno: ) and the ice-guides and *real* skaters were testing it (the rink, not the tree... :lol:) today so I went and watched for a bit. The penguins weren't out because these people knew how to skate. I love watching them. I've no idea if my knees/lungs will cope with skating this year but I'll be damned if I'm not going to give it a go. :bounce: Maybe they'll let me use a penguin!! :rolleyes:

Are we going then? 28th is less than a week away now!

I'm still on for it, but I feel there are people who want to go but cannot make it on that day. Would another day be better.

Well so far it looks as though there are 3, Mumble, Tally and Jannih, so you could still go ahead and have a "mini meet" if you wanted to - it's up to you. I know that I definitely won't be able to do it this time, alas. I'd be up for something in Jan/Feb though. :)

K x

Are we going then? 28th is less than a week away now!

I'm really really sorry, I've just been discharged from hospital (again) and I'm on strict rest, so I'm not going to be able to go. :tearful:

I'm really really sorry, I've just been discharged from hospital (again) and I'm on strict rest, so I'm not going to be able to go. :tearful:

And then there were two.

I think we should cancel it and arrange an other, more suitable time.

Whose idea was it, to meet up on the 28th ? Come on Kathryn own up ! LOL