Sign in to follow this  
Sooze2

Part of our local CAMHS is closing down

They are going to provide the services through outreach services in schools, patients' homes and another area of the hospital. I fear the main service will be made through school which is the scareiest part for me. It will be closing next July so I think I'd better get some quality sleep in before then for I fear it will mark the end of DS's menatonin because his consultant is the only one who will prescribe it due to it not being tested enough for the GP's. :unsure:

I would be spectical of schools who obscure information and abuse there powers so understand that this could be a very delicate situation for families and children desperate for CAMHS but the idea that there is possible CAMHS attatched to hospitals could be better, I would just ensure that he continues to recieve the same or higher level care when they transit, it should not effect the level of service though can understand the worry of schools having control over which children access CAMHS.

If things do decline in service, put in an official complaint, also talk to PALS and share your worries over care and treatment of your son of the consequences of transitioning the service.

JsMumxxx

Hi.I wonder if it worth contacting PALS to voice your concern at the loss of provision.

CAMHS will be part of the NHS.It may be within the remit of your local health trust or may be part of a Mental Health Trust.Local arranmgements vary.However the trust will have a chief executive and a process for providing feedback.You could use both of these to state that you are unhappy.

I know that things are very tight in the NHS currently and may well get worse in the coming year.Some funding for CAMHS comes from LAs who are obviously also attempting to save money wherever possible.However I think it is worth being clear that you are unhappy.

In my area CAMHS also have a user group that represents users views.The trust that covers CAMHS is a foundation trust which also has governors who represent users views.These may be two more options worth exploring in your area.Karen.