Sooze2

Did you watch "I am Autism" on BBC3?

Just wondering what you thought of it?

DH can't understand why the mother of the boy who went to residential school was upset!

When the older guy who had a job and was meeting a girl for the first time and was sitting on a bench with her miles away from each other I said they looked like us! He didn't understand. They also looked like us when sitting in the cafe not talking at all. Sometimes I feel as though I live alone but he IS a nice guy but just doesn't see the need to communicate or make loving gestures or pat you on the back when you are seriousely chocking (this morning) even if he is standing next to me. The programme brought this home to me more than ever.

Did anyone else find it thought provoking for the wrong reasons?

Edited by Sooze2

Just wanted to add that this is in no way meant in a distrespectful way to my DH or anyone else it's just me observing my own home situation and weather anyone else had felt simlilar things. I hope no one thinks I am putting anyone down is all I'm saying. :peace:

i didnt see it so i hope its on iplayer?

Just wondering what you thought of it?

Did anyone else find it thought provoking for the wrong reasons?

I have done a general search for " I am Autism" on the BBC website and haven't found any reference to it. When was it shown on BBC3 ?

Edited by Jannih

hi i am new to this site but yes i did see the tv program and this is why i am here just saw so much of me in this program decided to get my self assessed i am 49 now and have been lonely all my life my wife finds it difficult to understand my moods

hi i am new to this site but yes i did see the tv program and this is why i am here just saw so much of me in this program decided to get my self assessed i am 49 now and have been lonely all my life my wife finds it difficult to understand my moods

Hi Kenny

yeh i watched that program on bbc 1 on tuesday night and saw myself in all 3 of the lads in it. i have to have a bit of a routine like oli, i have moods like tom and i have confidence problems in my case tlkin to boys like the other one (forgot his name opps). thats why i also joined but my mum dad and sister found the program funny towards me cos they just kept saying it was me all the way through the program

Ah yes the autistic me, it did sound like the program and it was on bbc1 the other day.

I found Toms parents very suffocating. They never had a good word to say about their son and the letter they wrote him made me cringe. Too much pressure for a teenage boy.

I loved Ollie attitude and his mum was very supportive of her son telling him when he was doing something right as well as wrong. What he said at the end after seeking work for 7 years really stuck in my mind. "It might take me longer than other people to learn something but I'm going to get there in the end", cheered up my depressing day when I 1st saw it.

The cool looking aspie seems to have picked up a bad habit from his peers. Asking someone if they are gay because they asked if he was happy is not logical.

Alexis

There are many books about behaviour and autism. One general book on aspergers which IMO is the best starting point is "A complete guide to asperger syndrome". Your wife could attend the asperger social groups if you have one in your area?

Alexis

i could relate to all 3 on there for different areas and reasons

tom- because i was like in past had anger,violence,agression probs aswell as low self-esteem/social anx

i used to lash out as my parents alot especially my mum he did with his dad and craved searched 'independance' bad got frustrated isolated confused,upset i had same behaviour pattern when turned around 16 like him too! he seems lost in his own little world but wanting to be have his personal space and time away like me sometimes got bullied too which lowered his confidence in him again same getting let down by his gf

ditto all way though all of this experiences and stories on that program

ollie- before i started volunteering then got a part time bank staff paid position i was in same situation as ollie lost without a 'normal' routine being there taking it for granted then it not messes you up in so many ways especially feeling depressed ,frustrated,lonely,bored etc and looking for work though anyways like he said someone with autism the challenges step up even more like him i tried different agencies /services in past which havn't really come up with anything like his council worker i used get worried and anxious like him

Alex- looking for relationship i never like him understood meaning behind them and like he said you can get taken easily advanced of due to AS i agree when his mum said might be easier having gf with ASD rather than NT but then also harder as both have their own seperate issues and difficulties to cope and work with he seemed very confused and lost with how to deal with situation exactly how i have felt and been don't know what to say and do get over anxious etc

i wish them all the best in life and what they all want to achieve to succeed at!

There are many books about behaviour and autism. One general book on aspergers which IMO is the best starting point is "A complete guide to asperger syndrome". Your wife could attend the asperger social groups if you have one in your area?

Alexis

hi thank you for that alexis its nice i have found a site where their are people with the same kind of problems

See also this long thread about the programme, from when it was first shown, on August 11th ...

Bear in mind that forum member Special_talent123, who started that thread, is Kirsty (Alex's date) from the show. :) As you will see in the thread, Alex and Kirsty are now an item. :dance:

She has also mentioned in another thread that there will be a follow-up show some time next year, which she will also be part of. :)

The cool looking aspie seems to have picked up a bad habit from his peers. Asking someone if they are gay because they asked if he was happy is not logical.

I'm pretty sure he was just joking there.

James

See also this long thread about the programme, from when it was first shown, on August 11th ...

Bear in mind that forum member Special_talent123, who started that thread, is Kirsty (Alex's date) from the show. :) As you will see in the thread, Alex and Kirsty are now an item. :dance:

She has also mentioned in another thread that there will be a follow-up show some time next year, which she will also be part of. :)

I'm pretty sure he was just joking there.

James

Appears homophobic to me.