KateBall

Blessings of autism?

"Of course, one of the blessings of autism is that it elevates your observation to a point beyond the prosaic."

This is a quote from a recent interview Guy Ritchie gave.

I just wondered what anyone else thought about what he said. Do you think he is right?

For some reason I am uncomfortable with what he said. What does he know about autism? It seems to be the "in thing" for celebrity to relate to autism in some way. I noticed another report recently from the new actor in the Phantom I think that said the Phantom of the Opera was probably suffering from Aspergers.

"Of course, one of the blessings of autism is that it elevates your observation to a point beyond the prosaic."

I just wondered what anyone else thought about what he said. Do you think he is right?

For some reason I am uncomfortable with what he said. What does he know about autism? It seems to be the "in thing" for celebrity to relate to autism in some way. I noticed another report recently from the new actor in the Phantom I think that said the Phantom of the Opera was probably suffering from Aspergers.

I don't know why he said what he said, but maybe Guy Ritchie is on the spectrum !

In what context did he make these remarks ?

Sounds to me, whether guy ritchie has a dx or not (he's certainly rich enough to be able to acquire one if he bought into the whole 'geek chic/aspilebrity' side of it!), like a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. There is no blessing to autism, and certainly there are no features so universal that you could make that sweeping generalisation (which personally I find questionable even if applied to individuals - how on earth could you establish that someone who was autistic and had 'vision elevated beyond the prosaic' (pseud's corner or what? :lol: ) had the latter as a direct consequence of being the former?

I don't rate madge much, either, but i can see why she divorced him :whistle::whistle:

:D

I don't know why he said what he said, but maybe Guy Ritchie is on the spectrum !

In what context did he make these remarks ?

He was at this moment talking about his Sherlock Holmes character in his forthcoming film. Taken from the interview:

I note that it almost seems as if Downey's eye-rolling, somewhat callous Sherlock Holmes suffers from some form of Asperger's. "He's plagued by his acute functions and dysfunctions. He's very awkward socially," Ritchie says. "Of course, one of the blessings of autism is that it elevates your observation to a point beyond the prosaic."

It is well reported that Guy Ritchie suffers from severe dyslexia

Sounds to me, whether guy ritchie has a dx or not (he's certainly rich enough to be able to acquire one if he bought into the whole 'geek chic/aspilebrity' side of it!), like a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. There is no blessing to autism, and certainly there are no features so universal that you could make that sweeping generalisation (which personally I find questionable even if applied to individuals - how on earth could you establish that someone who was autistic and had 'vision elevated beyond the prosaic' (pseud's corner or what? :lol: ) had the latter as a direct consequence of being the former?

I don't rate madge much, either, but i can see why she divorced him :whistle::whistle:

:D

Thank you baddad - my feelings too. I was quite angry at first when I saw what he said.

I have no idea whether I agree with this or not because I don't know what it means. I don't like it when people talk about "the blessings of autism" because it perpetuates the Rainman stereotype where we are supposed to have some amazing ability that somehow "compensates" us for all our inabilities. This is not a helpful stereotype for people like me who don't have any special abilities and just find life plain difficult in most respects.

oh the joys. To me the blessing is having this very unique and interesting individual,with a talent to draw amazing pictures ont he paint program the details are fantastic,but he won't save them he just does and new one. Yes he can be a monster when he is :wacko::fight::george: but they are because he can't control his feelings and gets very scared.Things that need to be worked on,but he does show me affection and he knows i am boss and respects that fact even after a :george::angry::tearful::crying: I am do believe we will end up with a loverly human being with some challenges ,with some more work :wub::rolleyes:

Edited by sesley