trekster

Pain treatment options?

Hello

I went to my doctor the other day asking to be given a script for amyltriptiline ironically for my pain not the depression. Unfortunately it contains milk so i am wondering what other medication options i can try next? Rather than go through the list of all the possible meds and get worked up at what i cant take.....i decided to come here and ask what i could take.

Here's the issue i have with medications.

The safest forms of meds for me generally are the gelatin capsule forms, I don't like taking them (possible future boyfriend going veggie). But I have little option but to try these forms of meds sometimes.

Liquid medications 9/10 contain benzoates which are very dangerous for me. i started loosing it really severely on liquid risperidone due to the benzoate content in them. i couldn't take the tablet form due to the milk!

Most tablets contain milk in some form or another. i have tried a TENS machine with limited success but i was wondering (apart from cutting back on nightshade family foods again!) what my options were?

The pain is so bad it distracts me from sleeping and is with me almost 24/7. i think it is the main trigger for some of my depression. It was an unfortunate side effect of going gf/cf sometime ago (having a severe fibro flare), i wish i could afford to live in the canaries sometimes as i get a break. Heres hoping the 10 day break there is going to give me more than 5 hours pain relief (which i got last summer).

Sorry for the angry face :tearful:

Alexis

It's a difficult one, and I don't I don't know about your specific issues. I however am severely allergic to two of the main groups of painkillers and I can't use anything like a TENS machine due to other medical conditions, so I understand the frustration of nothing working/being available.

I don't know how good a relationship you have with your GP (or consultant if you have one). There are alternatives, it's just some are reluctant to prescribe them and they're not suitable long term but may get you through a crisis. I have medication for when things get really bad, but it is a controlled drug (I was sooo worried walking past a police sniffer dog with it in my bag!! :lol:).

Generally, as annoying as it is that the GP is correct, the advice to rest, reduce stress etc does work. I use relaxation CDs/podcasts which I initially thought were really stupid, but actually I have noticed a difference as I do do have a calmer feeling using them. Also I find heat works, either heat-pads (I can't use the gels but they may work for you) or a hot water bottle, and I also have a furry electric blanket if I need more sustained heel.

Hi.It may be worth talking to a pharmacist who may well be more informed regarding the content of specific medication that the GP.Karen.

Hi

Are you sure you were given amitriptyline for pain?Sorry know it may seem silly but as far as I am aware it is used primarily for depression.Have you tried codeine?Or morphine in liquid form?the latter can only be obtained with prescription.I am not 100% certain but they are mainly from plants- cellulose,so dont believe they contain milk.But like others have said seek medical advice.

Hi trekster

My daughter cannot take medication with any of the benzoates in them either and removing it from her diet on the whole has improved her health a great deal.

pain relief in tablet form has been what has worked for us. I don't know if they contain milk sorry.

My GP and the pharmacy are very good.

If my GP prescribes something for her that is no use the pharmacy checks it and calls the GP and tells him what can be used.

We have been lucky lately as now that her diet has changed her health has improved a lot.

For her hypermobility pain we use a natural remedy, as it is soothing and was something we used before we knew the benzoates were affecting her and we preferred to avoid pain medication if we could.

Good Luck with your quest in finding the correct medicine.

There is no milk in these tablets. This is the list of ingredients:

Methyl hydroxybenzoate

Propyl hydroxybenzoate

Propylene glycol

Ascorbic acid

Quinoline yellow E104

Fruit cup flavour (containing carmoisine E122)

Liquid maltitol

Purified water.

The main problem with a carrier capsule is there might be geletin in the cover hence some people would prefer the liquid drug.

You could also try a chiropractor. I had back pain for many years and use volteral, valium, tens. I also had physiotherapy and had a course of treatment with a ultra sound machine but none of this gave me long term relief. I went to a chiropractor and 8 months later I was pain free. 12 months later still pain free and able to do anything I want.

Hi

Are you sure you were given amitriptyline for pain? Sorry know it may seem silly but as far as I am aware it is used primarily for depression. Have you tried codeine? Or morphine in liquid form? the latter can only be obtained with prescription. I am not 100% certain but they are mainly from plants- cellulose, so dont believe they contain milk. But like others have said seek medical advice.

Yes this anti depressant has been used in low doses to treat pain. My fibromyalgia group recommended it to me. i wont take codeine or morphine due to their addictive nature. At the moment i can take tescos, sainsbury's, morrissons own brand paracetamol. i can also take anadin extra, problem with that is aspirin problems run in my family. My maternal grandfather had problems with them.

i forgot to subscribe to this thread which is why im late replying. ive also increased the 5htp to 3 per night in the hope that the extra serotonin will be beneficial to me.

thanks for your replies folks

Alexis

UPDATE:

Since im not a "bendy" (ie dont have hypermobility of any type) i can drink pineapple juice to bring the pain levels down. In fact it 1/2s them!

Alexis

Oh good.

My own joint pain is eased by upping my omega 3 intake. For me any of them work but for DS it is that well-known over-hyped brand or tesco's own (a combo of AHA and DHA) that does the trick.

DS is also so much better all round when we keep a high intake of anti-oxidants. He does have rather peculiar metabolic processing - eats twice as much as me yet remains slim.

Oh good.

My own joint pain is eased by upping my omega 3 intake. For me any of them work but for DS it is that well-known over-hyped brand or tesco's own (a combo of AHA and DHA) that does the trick.

DS is also so much better all round when we keep a high intake of anti-oxidants. He does have rather peculiar metabolic processing - eats twice as much as me yet remains slim.

like the antioxidants idea since vitamin C helps with my headaches.

If its for joint/muscle pain recommend physiotherapy and Acupuncture.

Try complimentary therapies.

JsMumxxx

Im all for complimentary therapies but i need something i can access easily. i already spend about 20% of my income on supplements

to sort out the mental health side of aspergers. Hard to afford much else.

Alexis

There is no milk in these tablets. This is the list of ingredients:

Methyl hydroxybenzoate

Propyl hydroxybenzoate

Those aren't benzoate free as that's what i was asking for. The original request was for something without milk, gluten, benzoate and aspartame.

Propylene glycol

Ascorbic acid

Quinoline yellow E104

Fruit cup flavour (containing carmoisine E122)

Liquid maltitol

Purified water.

The main problem with a carrier capsule is there might be geletin in the cover hence some people would prefer the liquid drug.

Actually the main problem is they contain something i cant have ie benzoates. They are dangerous in my system and cause uncontrollable aggression.

You could also try a chiropractor. I had back pain for many years and use volteral, valium, tens. I also had physiotherapy and had a course of treatment with a ultra sound machine but none of this gave me long term relief. I went to a chiropractor and 8 months later I was pain free. 12 months later still pain free and able to do anything I want.

i have a tens machine and pineapple juice at the moment. Discovered some safe brands of paracetamol which my doc reassures me isnt addictive. Thanks for the chiropractor recommendation i will try and save up for more back massages as it helps sensory processing anyway.

Alexis

Hi trekster

My daughter cannot take medication with any of the benzoates in them either and removing it from her diet on the whole has improved her health a great deal.

pain relief in tablet form has been what has worked for us. I don't know if they contain milk sorry.

If my GP prescribes something for her that is no use the pharmacy checks it and calls the GP and tells him what can be used.

We have been lucky lately as now that her diet has changed her health has improved a lot.

For her hypermobility pain we use a natural remedy, as it is soothing and was something we used before we knew the benzoates were affecting her and we preferred to avoid pain medication if we could.

Thanks for your lovely understanding post. i become a monster on benzoates but i find they can be hard to recognise in food/drink/toiletries/meds products. im unable to get my pharmacy to take me seriously, i am sat there in raynauds pain or fibro pain being treated as "refusing treatment" or "being a fussy customer". They can never get hold of my GP whenever there is a medication mix-up and the green book GPs can use (and locums refuse to use) doesnt always state the ingredients on the label.

What is the natural remedy? i know many EDS/HMS friends that would appreciate the recommendation.

Pineapple juice ISNT recommended for bendies (ie folk with hypermobility pain). i know a good international site about EDS?HMS and other conditions (including autistics) PM me for the details.

Alexis

Im all for complimentary therapies but i need something i can access easily. i already spend about 20% of my income on supplements

to sort out the mental health side of aspergers. Hard to afford much else.

Alexis

You would be surprised how much it can help someones mental health issues, and AS, its very benefitical and in my sessions of physiotherapy as it hurts like crazy Im releasing my own natural painkillers and endophines.

So me personally would say that they help both physical and emotional health.

JsMumxxx

You would be surprised how much it can help someones mental health issues, and AS, its very benefitical and in my sessions of physiotherapy as it hurts like crazy Im releasing my own natural painkillers and endophines.

So me personally would say that they help both physical and emotional health.

JsMumxxx

Thanks for the recommendation something for me to treat myself too at least once a month.

what is the natural remerdey you use for her hypermobility pain?

Hi trekster