Sign in to follow this  
skye

Cheap Sensory Room

Hi Everyone,

I have not stopped by on the forum for awhile. Unfortunately school has gone from promising to start with to absolutely horrible in about 3 weeks. This is a whole other post! I am going to visit the ASD Unit on Friday for that.

The reason I am on here today is for more great advice. I am going out tomorrow with one thing on my mind. I want to create a nice relaxing sensory room for DD to come home to after her nightmare day at school. I have found a fairly cheap bubble tube, wax lamp and disco light at Argos. Does anyone else have any good suggestion for what I can get and where I can buy it that isn't online? I have thought about going to The Range or possibly Ikea? It's late and I am on my way to bed. If anyone can think of anything good, it would be really appreciated. Thanks, Skye

Lidl is good for random cheap items. Bit his and miss with what they have but we have picked up a few things like clockwork lights and cheap toys.

One thing (which I can't remember where we got it) that is great for DS to calm down is an iPod pillow (A pillow that you plug your iPod into). That way he keeps his head on the pillow and has a break.

the shop might not exist anymore but you might know of something similar - i used to go and look at all the twirly lights in the natural earth shop. i expect any nature/science shop would have the same sorts of things. they always seemed to have spinning fibre optics etc.

HAHA I stopped in Lid'l last night. They didn't have much in. Thanks for the advice. I am off to the flea market and charity shops and then going further afield. There are probably some nature type shops in Hebden Bridge I could call into to find some stuff. I am excited to see what I come back with today!!

Some nice large curshions and something for your child to hide in or under. My child had a table with curtain velcosed around the edge. This allowed him to retreat into his own space.

We also used rope lights.

It best not to put too much it, keep it simple.

Edited by lynne

bean bag to sit/lie on?

or a nice rug or even just a mat on the floor or small matress? depends on where it is and what u plan on putting in it?

its all dependant on what your child likes really i suppose.

do u have a toy library?

we have one and they have several diff sensory packs that can be borrowed, v good as u can try things out before you buy them.

they also have projectors and fiberoptics etc that can be borrowed

they have a nice vibrating cushion tho not tried that yet, and a pillow that u can plug an ipod.mp3 player in to.

what about a wee tent to hide in? or a table to hide under?

also u can buy these....tho not sure u would want one. as they cost £50 http://www.tts-group.co.uk/Product.aspx?cref=TTSPR1103642

good luck with it

Edited by something_different

Hi

I've bought my son a few things that he seems to really like:

First item is called a Laser Cosmos - it's a projector that project stars and clouds onto the ceiling. The room must be dark (ie lights out, curtains shut, doors shut. It's expensive (ranges from £100 - £130), but I think it's amazing. I actually felt like I could reach up and grab a star! It's very 3-dimensional and you can adjust the brightness/clouds.

Other item was a large plasma ball. You can get small ones for around £10-15 - larger one costs around £45.

Lastly, I purchased mirrored stars and have stuck them above the picture rail and ceiling in my son's room.

Not sure if the rules permit me to provide store names, but feel free to PM me.

Caroline.

Edited by cmuir

Thanks everyone for the advice. I never even thought about the toy library! They have loads of good stuff. I will get in touch with them. We stopped going when DD started school. Just wanted to say that Argos has a bubble fish lamp on sale for £29.99. It is really great although alittle loud humming.

I got a big fluffly rug and some pillows. A disco lamp that was also on sale and very cheap. I got a plasma lava lamp too. It is great and DD loves it. I wish I had done it sooner. I think you could easily kit out a good sensory room like I made for about £100. Feel free to PM me about where I got all of the great stuff for the room. Mookamoo, I got some dog toys too. I also got a teething ring which she popped on the second day, and a couple of rubber door mats.

Thanks again to everyone for the super good suggestions. XO Skye