lisa35

teenage aspergers

help...having a abad night, and want to ask are kids with aspergers a 1000000% times harder than nt teenagers!?

Feel such a failure toight , i lost it, its like a roundabout that just keeps on and on

from minute hes up Im nagging, and I should ve stayed calmtonight, but tired

hubbie and I have an hout and half on a night , once he goes to bed

and Im beginning to resent son, which iis an awful thing to say because I love him so much

Im also vvvv proud as hes doing so well in his school with asd unit, a year ago he wasnt even really in school

we re waiting for cahms review as we now, and school also, suspect may have tourettes

everything is so full on all the time, cant even watach a tv programme with constant questions, and sad thing is I know why hes like this, yet I still resent it!? What sort of mum does that make me!

rant over

i knw there are no answers, just needed to offload to people that know, and noone else really does

xx

Hi lisa >:D<<'>

My son is only 6, but I can relate to everything you've said. Dealing with all these issues can feel so overwhelming - like you say it's full-on all the time.

sad thing is I know why hes like this, yet I still resent it!? What sort of mum does that make me!

I try to remind myself, it's not my son that I'm angry with, it's his condition. It doesn't make you a bad mum to feel like this - just human.

It sounds like he (and you) have come a long way in the last year, so try to focus on that.

Hope you fell better tomorrow >:D<<'>

Hi now dont take this the wrong way but have you anyone to talk to about your son, you see I have a councillor and I talk things over with her, is there anyone for you, it is very demanding and exhausting raising a child with co morbid Aspergers and like you have said eats into your own interests and enjoyments such as a simple task of watching the TV, my son gets really absorbed in a topic on the tv that he just randemly blurts constant questions that we end up missing vital information that I eventually cant answer him because Ive missed the bit that I would of been able to given an answer and then he asks another question and its repeated.

What about attending a tourettes parents group to get any further ideas too and just to share similair experiences.

Do you get any help at home, is in any social clubs, activities, my son has access for example to a sessional worker that takes him out and I get a break, it may be that more support is required so you both get your space, for me when Im feeling resentment its usually because Im desperate for some me time.

I also use the helpline at contact a family as they are really good for further ideas and advice.

I hope that things improve soonxxxx

JsMumxxxx

Hello

The constant questions are a) due to him not recognising you are watching the tv B) that this means you require quiet time and c) that if he doesn't ask you know he will forget.

Could you encourage him to write questions on paper when you are looking at the tv? Then you agree to answer them at the end of the tv program.

There are some books on adolescents and Asperger syndrome a book for your son could be "how to be yourself in a world thats different".

Can you afford a tv package that means you can pause the tv if he interrupts? My sky + box is good for this provided there is enough spare memory on the machine.

Alexis

thanks all, feel better now, just guilty, we re going to all go out some where nice for the day and break cycle of us all being ratty

he goes to explorers, so we get a couple of hours one night a week ,a and maybe a camp soon, so a night off, hes not a bad lad, just tiring at times...you know how it is, if you dont feel 101% it feels like a mountainx and so intense, has friends, but theyre at school, just sees them there, its about 12 miles, but we have offered to take him to friiends, think he likes our company, just bit stifling xx

xxxx

thanks all, feel better now, just guilty, we re going to all go out some where nice for the day and break cycle of us all being ratty

he goes to explorers, so we get a couple of hours one night a week ,a and maybe a camp soon, so a night off, hes not a bad lad, just tiring at times...you know how it is, if you dont feel 101% it feels like a mountainx and so intense, has friends, but theyre at school, just sees them there, its about 12 miles, but we have offered to take him to friiends, think he likes our company, just bit stifling xx

xxxx

I was going to recommend a holiday or a day out but was worried to say it incase you didnt have the time or even a holiday is hard work, having a day out and breaking the normal cycle can do wonders so glad your going to do that.

Glad he has an activity to go to and that he maybe going to be camping, Its clear you think a lot about your son, and that it is at the end of the day such a tiring task, and we are at the end of the day human, with our own emotions, like you ve realised it maybe he needs to detatch just a little bit, but its positive he loves you guys so muchxxxx

JsMumxxxx

he goes to explorers, so we get a couple of hours one night a week ,a and maybe a camp soon, so a night off, hes not a bad lad, just tiring at times...you know how it is, if you dont feel 101% it feels like a mountainx and so intense, has friends, but they're at school, just sees them there, its about 12 miles, but we have offered to take him to friends, think he likes our company, just bit stifling xx

xxxx

What about trying to access one of the National Autistic Societies Out of Schools Clubs? South West England or Central England runs them (your location isnt listed on here).

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp...185&a=16234

There are also autism resource centres http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1922 ......

and NAS branches http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=914

....which can put you in touch with parent support groups so you can discuss with other parents about your sons needs.

The NAS also has a parent to parent line (which my gran volunteered on for a few years) http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=617&a=3302

or ring them 0800 9 520 520

Alexis