KezT

Early, late or due date babies?

I am getting ready to do battle with my consultant again :rolleyes:

DS was born 3 weeks late - despite my constant queries, the medical profession refused to induce, so he was eventually cut out after going into disctress:(

With both the girls, I self-induced at 39 weeks using castor oil - no fun whatsoever, but safe and sucessfull. In both cases the doctors refused to induce again (although they would have been happy to do a planned ceasarian :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: because major surgery is FAR better than a bit of medication!!!!) On the third pregnancy, I argued over this with my consultant, and he basically said that he wasn't willing to risk inducing, but agreed the best thing for me was to do it at home with the castor oil as I would not go into labour without intravention of some kind grrrrrrrrrrr!

Anyway - all that is beside the point, other than I don't want to do it again :rolleyes: but it did make me wonder - I don't think that it necesssarily had anything to do with DS's ASD, but it is always there in the back of my mind. 3 weeks late is very late - he was tiny and aneamic when born, because the placenta was already breaking down. As I was already taking my employers to an employment tribunal, trying to cope with my first baby, and a newly diagnosed husband, and a bit of PND, I didn't follow up with the hospital at the time (there were a number of issues that I had complaints about). But the other two were on time and NT (and girls, of course).

What week were you/your children born? early, on time, or late? Was there a difference for those of you who have ASD/NT kids?

I went into labour week 39 so a week early, however when J was born his placenta had too broken down and it was not in very good state, the midwife was rather upset about the state of my placenta like I had anything to do with that, J was born with little difficulty though obvously it stung when I gave birth to him but no problems otherwise until it was time for my placenta to be delived and it didnt the midwife pulled on the billicord and it snapped leaving the rest inside, I hemmeraged and nearly died after they left me in a pool of blood and callapsed and went unconcous, they took me to emergency theratre where they did and D and C and gave me four pints of blood transfusion and I was on the high indipendency unit for four days and in normal ward for three days before going home, lets just say that my ordeal was really mostly effected Me and than J and he was the best behaved baby on the ward that everyone wanted a baby like J as he was so quiet and easy to care for, when he turned four or five months he started with colic and I can tell you it was such a shock, he had trouble with his bowls too and I didnt give him any solids until he was eight or nine months as I kept to just breast feeding as I didnt want to ween him too early and as I was breast feeding he was getting the right ballance of food.

Looking back J did well, it was me that struggled and it shocks me that I nearly died after delivering J, luckly I fully recovered, I wont give birth again thats for sure!

JsMumxxxx

Edited by JsMum

I had gestational diabetes with both pregnancies. Both were late, however my daughter came about a week late. With my son they wanted to induce me, but my waters did break about 10 days late. However I did not progress into labour. So I was put on a hormone drip when it was over 24 hours and had a painful birth. I developed an infection afterwards and was on IV anitibiotics. I've always wondered if the delay in labour from the time the waters broke, or the medicine I was on played any part. But he was born a healthy 3.6kg and fed easily.

My AS son was induced 2 weeks early due to my high blood pressure and worries about pre-eclampsia. I too haemorrhaged but luckily didn't have to have a transfusion. He weighed a healthly 8lb 8 so I was probably lucky he didn't last until due date. My NT daughter was born on her due date, natural labour, 'easy' birth. I think about whether to have another one every day, time to make a decision soon. . . .

My ds who is now being assessed for asd was born at 32 weeks I believe he was early due to some significant stress I was going through, from the start he was an angelic baby and very rarely cried!!! My first child a daughter (nt) was 4 days late!!!

Kez T, with regard to your consultant refusing to induce you they are always very reluctant to do this if you have had a previous c section as it significantly increases the risk of rupturing the scar from you section which can result in a threat to the life of mum and baby.

Both of my births were not handled well at all by the hospitals and were traumatic. I am pregnant again (big shock) and I have again booked for a home birth (ds was supposed to be born at home but put in an early appearance) I feel that I need to be more in control of what happens to me and the only way I feel I can do this is to be in my own environment.

I haven't ever thought that my ds being a prem had any bearing on his problems now as my step son has AS and I am 99% sure my husband has too!!

Hi

My eldest son was born at 39 weeks (NT)My second son was born at 38 weeks,he has aspergers,he also had very low birth weight and the delivery itself was really quick,I knew I was in labour at 11pm but was sent home,came back in at 12.30 and he was born at 1.20am.He did have has seight monitered for 8 mths and got two bad chest infections before that time.My third son was born at 37 weeks,he may also have AS,he was very healthy weight.My fourth son I wanted to be induced because I had separated from their dad and my family were going to care for the other three when I gave birth so had to know date,when I arrived to be induced I was already 6cm dilated,he was born two hours later,at 38 weeks,he had many complecations but is healthy and very big for his age because he is only 15 months I dont know whether he has AS or not.He can talk(6 clear words) and babble,he walks and plays very well but he does love to "read" books even at the dining table when he is meant to eat!I dont know if the birth effects the outcome of AS but it has been proven that boys are more likely to have AS so that may explain your own situation.

My DD1 AS/ADHD was born at 42 weeks because by Dr refused to induce despite the fact that I had pre-eclampsia since week 37

- After a slow 27 hour labour that had to be speeded with a drip

- DD1 was born with breathing difficulties and taken to the Special car baby unit and received CPAP - she was normal weight of 8lb 6oz - although 24 hours later she had dropped to 7lb 9oz

- I suffered from a major post partum hemmorhage and needed emmergency surgery and 6 pints of concentrated blood transfussions which failed to bring be into the normal range - I spent my first day in intensive care

With DD2 i began to experience unstable blod pressure in week 36 and argued that I was not going to go to term because of the risks - the consultant agreed to induce me at week 38

Edited by puffin

My son was 3 weeks late and born dead n had to be revived..they didnt know if he would live or if due to lack of oxygen he would be brain damaged in some way....he was in intensive care for 7 days high dependency for 3 days then 2 days close monitoring on the ward.

Our son was born at 38 wks + 5 days by emergency c/section. He weighed 7lb 12 oz and was fine.

I am an older mother (almost 40 when he was born. He is our first and only child) and I have always wondered if mother's age is significant. I have a friend who's son has ADHD and he is also a first and only child, born when mum was 39 yrs old.

All 3 of mine were late! N (ASD, now age 11) was 4 days late, her sister (NT now age 8) was 7 days late and my little boy (NT although there is a bit of a query over possible ASD) was 10 days late! I wasn't induced with any of them, although with my youngest the day I was due to go into hospital to be induced I went into labour at home just after I had phoned them to see when they could fit me in.

N went into distress and they had to use Ventouse to get her out, but she was fine once she was born. The other two were uncomplicated deliveries.

I was just over two weeks late (induced at 16 days). I'm ASD.

My brother was a week early (and breech, but natural birth). He's NT.

My AS daughter was 1 day early. I suffered high blood pressure for the whole pregnancy tho! I was 34 when she was born. She was very high risk down syndrome & they tried to force me to have the amnio,which I refused! She doesnt have downsyndrome, but AS & probable ADHD.

I was born right on time and I have ASD. My brother was 2 weeks late and does not have ASD, my dad wanted to stop on the way to the hospital for a Big Mac.

i was 2 weeks late and induced, but everything was fine otherwise. my sister (NT) was also induced but my mother was forced to have pethadin and was seriously ill while giving birth.

DS with ASD was born at 35 weeks ,forceps delivery in neonatal for a week with moderate jaundice. Had seven various doctors and midwifes etc in delivery room (and a very good looking young registrar in charge of the business end of things !!). :tearful:

DS with ASD, severe language impairment, dyspraxia born ON DUE DATE, 2 hour delivery, shot out without any help, cord had two knots in it, but no problems with delivery or afterwards.

Happy memories though,

I think all this shows is that there are some really terrible birth stories out there :tearful: and that ASD babies are born just like everyone else -easy/difficult/early/late/quick/slow.... LOL

I know that the bad birth was nothing to do with DS's ASD really - just hormones and stuff make me question every now and then. But the brain is made much earlier on, and ASD is a neurological condition. I'm quite sure that it is formed waaaay back before baby is ready to come out. I also don't think it would help if I had something/someone to "blame".

But I'm only half way there this time round and already getting stressed about the birth. I know they don't like inducing if you've had a c-section, but how can it be preferable to advise me to do it myself at home, without any medical supervision? Or to suggest major abdominal surgery again when it took me almost a full year to recover last time and this time I am 10 years older, and a carer for DH and DS, as well as having two other young children :rolleyes::wallbash:

Ho hum. Not seeing the consultant till Dec, so there's no point arguing about it here and now :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the responses. Makes me feel that I'm not talking utter rubbish all the time.......

Hi,

My eldest (ASD) daughter (16) born nearly 3wks early - induced due to IUGR (stomach circumference) - then ventouse after 3 days labour - 6lbs in weight.

My NT (6) daughter born 9 days late naturally 8lb 10oz within 6hrs of being admitted.

Take care,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

I was born right on time and I have ASD. My brother was 2 weeks late and does not have ASD, my dad wanted to stop on the way to the hospital for a Big Mac.

LOL

JsMumxxxx

Edited by JsMum

DS was born 2 weeks late, they induced me and I went straight into labour where the contractions came continuousely with no gap inbetween. I was given an epidural, which took 3 attempts because the needle kept popping out. After 12 hours they realised that there was no way he was coming out and he was distressed so off to surgery for an emerency c/section. I had to blood transusion after surgery. He weighed 9lb 5 oz and was born with an angry red ring around the top of his head due to being stuck for so long. He had tabilpies (club foot) from being so squashed up inside me as he was so long and had to wear orthopeadic boots for a while to straighten his feet out which worked luckily. He was jaundiced. I had my own room due to the traumatic birth etc and the midwives told me not to worry about ringing the bell because they could hear him crying (very very loud) and he cried A LOT and didn't sleep very much at all. He was so alert from birth is was unbeleivable and would follow the lights in the room as I walked around with him all night. He was very active from when he first started kicking inside where he kept me awake all night and that carried on after he was born! He refused to feed and wouldn't latch on but the midwives refused to give me a bottle but wouldn't discharge us untill he started feeding properly!!!!!! :wallbash: It was at the start of the "breast feeding initiative". They let me out on day 7 because they needed the bed and he spent the first 24 hours at home screeming - the only time he stopped was when he had a finger in his mouth. DH went out and bought baby milk and he then spent the next few weeks feeding constantly as if trying to catch up from starving and loosing loads of weight in the week after birth. If he wasn't feeding he needed a dummy and had to suck constantly, he still has always got something in his mouth to this day.

The twins were the total opposite, born naturally at 35 weeks after a 3 hour labour. Both home on day four, they were content, slept a lot (kept poking them to make sure they were alive!) which was proabably because they were early at first but then they carried on sleeping a lot and I realised that is what babies do after talking to other mums! DS was smiling at 6 weeks and I could make him laugh and have fun with him early on, I found the twins boring because they didn't do anything but eat and sleep for months and after having a sleepless high maintenence first child I found having contented easy babies very strange and worried there was something wrong with them! Little did I know......

He had tabilpies (club foot) from being so squashed up inside me as he was so long and had to wear orthopeadic boots for a while to straighten his feet out which worked luckily.

Hi Sooze,

My daughter was born with non-congenital talipes also - just out of interest how are his feet now. My daughter had strapping on for 6 mths when she was born and had to wear boots until she was a couple of years old. Although her feet are now fantastic compared to when she was born she always has (and still does) turned her feet inwards when she's sitting comfortably - i.e. with her legs crossed over and sometimes her feet are used to lean on her face - curled around her cheek.

She was 16 in the summer and after a full OT assessment they've said she has hypermobility in all her joints and also has no arches in her feet - they've made some inserts but unfortunately she won't wear them even though it is painful for her to walk.

Take care,

Hi Sooze,

My daughter was born with non-congenital talipes also - just out of interest how are his feet now. My daughter had strapping on for 6 mths when she was born and had to wear boots until she was a couple of years old. Although her feet are now fantastic compared to when she was born she always has (and still does) turned her feet inwards when she's sitting comfortably - i.e. with her legs crossed over and sometimes her feet are used to lean on her face - curled around her cheek.

She was 16 in the summer and after a full OT assessment they've said she has hypermobility in all her joints and also has no arches in her feet - they've made some inserts but unfortunately she won't wear them even though it is painful for her to walk.

Take care,

I think he was lucky because he only wore the boots for a couple of months. I had to massage his feet 3 times a day and put the boots straight back on, his feet were not allowed any free movement at all. When he was boron the soles of his feet touched in the same way that you clap year hands, his anckle joints were at tight angles!

His feet are totally fine now, a nice arch, no cramps or pain at all. One of my twins on the other hand gets terrible cramps, lots of foot and leg pain day and night and I'm taking her off the the doctor next week to get it check out although I know he will say it's growing pains!

I'm sorry to hear your daughter has had such problems with her feet. Tell her that the insoles WILL help. I have the same problem with my feet turing inwards, have very very high arches and walk on the outside edges of my feet. I had insoles made (proper old fashioned moulded ones) when I was around 20 and my constant cramps and terrible leg, foot and hip pain was releived. It gave me a whole new lease of life and I felt like I was walking on air.

I'm not sure if my childrens problems are hereditory, now that I think about it, DS with talipes, DD with terrible pains and high arches also and me with my leg problems - it does seems to add up to me crippling my kids eh! :rolleyes: Luckily DD2 doesn;'t have the same problems which is strange, another thing about my ID twins that is very different.

Edited by Sooze2

My son was born 6 days late. I had pre-eclampsia. I had no contraction so he was induced, then went in labour two hours later. When they gave epidural his heart beat dived so he was out by c-section in 20 mn. Very poor score and good after 5 mn. The midwife said there was a pb with the placenta and that it needed to be sent for tests but I never got the results. He weighed 9pounds 7. He had a form of hare lip (lip completely lifted, no hole in palate). He was always a very content baby.

I arrived 2 weeks late ... and, unsurprisingly, I have no further details! :lol:

James

Alex was due on the 13th of December but arrived 12 days late (Christmas Day), labor started by itself with no medical aid, delivery was very stressful as I began pushing at 3cm and couldn't stop, by 8cm I was very tired and Alex was having signs of becoming stressed so they tried the plunger (the name of the procedure I cant remember) but that popped off, so they used forceps which gave him an awful lot of bruising around the sides of his head and a bloodshot eye, he was treated with calpol and soon recovered. It was very traumatic for me and I do wonder if the birth is any way related to his ASD but the docs say no.

Jaden has "severe" ASD and mild cerebral palsy. He was born at 40 weeks, quick labour but he got into distress and came out with the cord around his neck. This is just before the midwives dropped him :tearful: I think his birth has a lot to do with the way he is.

I went into labour week 39 so a week early, however when J was born his placenta had too broken down and it was not in very good state, the midwife was rather upset about the state of my placenta like I had anything to do with that, J was born with little difficulty though obvously it stung when I gave birth to him but no problems otherwise until it was time for my placenta to be delived and it didnt the midwife pulled on the billicord and it snapped leaving the rest inside, I hemmeraged and nearly died after they left me in a pool of blood and callapsed and went unconcous, they took me to emergency theratre where they did and D and C and gave me four pints of blood transfusion and I was on the high indipendency unit for four days and in normal ward for three days before going home, lets just say that my ordeal was really mostly effected Me and than J and he was the best behaved baby on the ward that everyone wanted a baby like J as he was so quiet and easy to care for, when he turned four or five months he started with colic and I can tell you it was such a shock, he had trouble with his bowls too and I didnt give him any solids until he was eight or nine months as I kept to just breast feeding as I didnt want to ween him too early and as I was breast feeding he was getting the right ballance of food.

Looking back J did well, it was me that struggled and it shocks me that I nearly died after delivering J, luckly I fully recovered, I wont give birth again thats for sure!

JsMumxxxx

Ouch. thats awful, really awful. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> En >:D<<'> id

Thanks Enid, but rather confused with the auful bit, auful what I went throw post labour or auful that I dont want to go throw another labour, Hope Ive not upset anyone with not wanting any more babies, I love babies but I really cant do it all again, especially as J is now pre-teen and I dont regret having J as I wouldnt change J for the world.

JsMumxxxxx

Ds L was born at 38 week's by emergency c/section with Potters syndrome, not a smooth pregnancy, doctor's didn't know what was wrong, just that he was small I had two amniocentseis test but they found nothing, it was the first case of Potters syndrome they had ever had in that hospital we are talking 24 year's ago, Oops showing my age now :whistle: , didn't put me off having a baby just waited 5 year's needed time. And T was born at 41 week's 9lb 1, normal pregnancy, induced labour and after 9 hour's had a emergency c/section again. Dx age 10 with AS/ hypermobile joints/ low muscle tone.

Teresa

i am a AS sufferer myself NOT a parent , but i was a non-identical twin born 22 weeks (3 months early!) so premature and my mum had to have emergency C section with us both! i nearly died in hospital as my weight kept getting extremely low indeed the special baby care unit kept ringing my parents asking them come up they didn't think i was going to pull through the night alot they went through that! can't imagine how hearing that must have been like emotional wrench of a rollercoaster ride to be on

i had a hole in heart too i didn't need a major operation luckily repaired with meds on it's own! i only weighted 2 pounds when i was born and my parents fit us in their palm of their hand that's how tiny we were! my mum was scared of hurting us afraid to bath us so special baby care nurse helped her showed and reassured her she wasn't going to hurt us it was OK! when i get near the door to go home they have to move us back again due to another set back in my recovery! i had tubes everywhere in my nose to feed me we had blood transfusions from our mum! i do personally believe this one of the factors to why i have AS/dyspraxia and know others that go with it! but don't think that helped in my brain's development stage!

when we did finally get home after spending 3 mnths in hospital! my parents had to do a medicine chart on our living room wall so didn't get confused there was so many different ones we were given at different times of day and night to keep us alive!

me and my twin brother lived oviously! lol but very unusual for twins born that early (prem)! to come home at all -alive as one or both died alot did where we born! we fighting survivors all the way right from the very start day one!

no doubt special baby care units so wonderful fantastic jobs of saving babies lives we living proof and evidence of this statement! also my special baby nurse pointed dyspraxia out as a actual condition to my mum as her neice had it so she knew the signs and told my mum to chase up getting me assessed and diagnosed as i was showing all the classic signs of this! so without her i don't know where i'd be! she still works at hospital today and she sends my mum christmas card and sometimes bump into her! if it wasn't for one diagnosis we may not looked out for another 'thing' there in background 'AS'!!!

XKLX

PS the doctors tried to hang off my mum labour gave tabs but we on our way nothing could be done to stop it she was told too late and when docs looked we were in 'foetal distress' so needed to come out straight away or could die so knew serious only real option of saving us was a emergency C section!

XKX

DD, AS, ADHD and Dyspraxia born at 36 weeks 72 hr labour, forceps delivery, and incomplete placenta

DS (1) NT 39 weeks normal delivary

DS (2) NT 37 weeks, induction after waters broke.

Harmony

I was 8 minutes late (i.e. I was born at 8 minutes past midnight the day after I should have arrived). It's the only time I've ever been late for anything in my life!! :lol: :lol:

My brother (severe ASD/learning difficulties) was born at the right time but had the cord round his neck, wasn't breathing and severely jaundiced. My theory is that he would always have been ASD, but the birth (particularly starved of O2) led to the learning difficulties and severity of problems.

My sister (NT) was over two weeks late. She's never been one for getting up early.

Marcus ASD was born at 41 weeks, spontaneous labour and normal delivery but pushing for 2 hours 40 minutes,he weighed 9lb 7oz, however born in good condition and no neonatal problems.

Piers ASD possible ADHD was born at 38 weeks and 5 days induced due to a twin pregnancy. Fairly rapid normal delivery following one prostin pessary, membrane rupture and syntocinon infusion, weighed 7lb 4 oz no neonatal problems.

Lydia NT ( twin number 2) vaginal breech delivery in theatre 26 minutes after her brother weighed 7lb no neonatal problems.

All initially breastfed both boys had severe colic and Piers was lactose intolerant.

I am a midwife and we routinely induce our post dates babies at 42 weeks this is in line with the NICE guidelines and is to prevent placental insufficiency and decrease the amount of unnecesary caesarian sections, indeed our section rate has significantly dropped since implementing theses guidelines which has to be a good thing for everyone. However i believe before these guidelines hospitals were free to set their own guidelines, we previously induced at 40 plus 10 days.

Incedently you can make a claim against the NHS up to the childs 21st birthday if you feel you were mistreated. Hope this info helps.

Thanks Enid, but rather confused with the auful bit, auful what I went throw post labour or auful that I dont want to go throw another labour, Hope Ive not upset anyone with not wanting any more babies, I love babies but I really cant do it all again, especially as J is now pre-teen and I dont regret having J as I wouldnt change J for the world.

JsMumxxxxx

Awful that you went through all that pain and nearly died!!!! >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Enid

Induced at 42 weeks - failure to progress - F was distressed when they increased the syntocin. Finally C section at 42 + 2. The cord was completely wrapped round his body. Hi head still has a ridge on it from where he was pressing on the cervix.

When I was pregnant he rarely moved and it was difficult to count 10 movements each day.

i was born 3 weeks early/ guess thats why im both like cancer and leo lol

all 3 of my kids was born 1 day early/ no problems really

J diag AS was 11 days early and i lost bit of fluid around him at week 29

his younger brother was still born after i went into labour at week 29 but he was thought to have had severe problems plus cleft palate

the reason why i got steralized

his younger brother was still born after i went into labour at week 29 but he was thought to have had severe problems plus cleft palate

the reason why i got steralized

HUGE >:D<<'> for you jordansmum. xxxx