Sign in to follow this  
mc31

maths problems

Hi all

Apologies for not being about for a long while...

My daughter has been getting on ok at school she is 7 by the way and is under the ASD diagnosis, although they say she is working about 18mths behind, which is the same age mentally when she was diagnosed, but the teacher seems to think she should be able to grasp her 2, 5, 10 x tables (she isnt, and can't make head nor tail of it all) she also struggles with number bonds to 10, she now thinks any 2 sets of numbers make 10 i.e. 1+1=10, this is when verbally asked, put on paper she will answer maths sums correctly but only adding and subtracting, on top of this bless her she has the obvious spellings to learn albeit with some difficult words, but that she sight spells such as "what" becomes "wot" "put" is "pot" sometimes with 2 oo's, she also doesnt seem to retain the info she has learned from a previous week and seems to live in the now, like day to day, and the school are looking at maybe she has a memory problem as well?

any ideas greatly welcome!

She actually sounds like she's doing quite well! Phonics spelling isnt ideal but at least its understandable and the ideas are coming out. Is she into music? they do tapes with times tables in song which seems to be remembered much easier.. I wouldnt worry about a specific memory problem just yet-All kids need repetition to learn and she may just need more than others.Also,perhaps she's not that interested(!)motivation can play a big part OR she might not be taking it in at the time(for various reasons)PLUS the now is probably all thats important to her

The number bonds may have to be learned by rote as with the times tables...you may come across more of this in years to come during numeracy.Nowadays the kids are taught HOW numbers work,which is great for atypical thinkers but not our Asd Kids.Each time they learn a different strategy for the same sum,they see it as a completely different sum!I'm a TA and its a tricky time to navigate.hopefully she'll get some good visual and practical help so she can start to understaND and find her preferred methods.Try 10 items and 2 piles and show her by moving them back and forth whilst stressing every 1 makes 10.Hope some of this makes sense and gives you a bit of hope-she's just a different kind of learner than most in her class is all.Also ,orally she will prob always be a bit slower and may never do it without writing it down-time will tell but its not something you can force..Good luck!

Edited by Portia

Hi.

Does your daughter have a Statement of SEN or is she supported at School Action or School Action Plus ?

Also does she have an IEP ?

If she is eighteen months behind I would think the school should be putting some support in place.

Hi my six year old has the same problem with maths,he is great at maths on paper but if I ask him what is 1+1 he cannot answer,if I write down 10+45 he can write the answer,although his letters and numbers are at times facing the wrong way,get what I mean.I really dont think you should worry but this is providing she is getting help,she may take longer to catch up but with the help she should be making some small progress if not then seek furthur help.By the way I think some kids are good at maths some are,how is her literacy?she may be doing great at literacy.We use different parts of the brain for these subjects so it may be that it takes that part longer to process sums etc.She will be fine.

Hi thanks for your posts she does have a statement and also has a TA for support 27 and a half hours a week, they told me she is working at a level of the top end of reception, hence the 18 mths behind, in her statement it says she learns by rote, when reading she guesses some words just by the first two letters, and words that are on one page that we read together she has forgotten by the time we turn the page and come to the same word. these can also be words that she has learnt for spelling and has previously got them right.

Just stopped in again quick.will try to see how this goes..Has P.A.S.S been metioned?Ask SENCO for try of it re reading.x

hi thanks, no what is it??

Hi thanks for your posts she does have a statement and also has a TA for support 27 and a half hours a week, they told me she is working at a level of the top end of reception, hence the 18 mths behind, in her statement it says she learns by rote, when reading she guesses some words just by the first two letters, and words that are on one page that we read together she has forgotten by the time we turn the page and come to the same word. these can also be words that she has learnt for spelling and has previously got them right.

Hi.Twenty seven and a half hours sounds like a significant proportion of the week.

Has anyone come up with advice regarding how the TA should be using the time to help your daughter with maths ?

If maths is documented as a significant area of difficulty within the Statement I would expect there to be some extra support or differentiation to enable your daughter to progress.

If she is expected to do the same work as her peers without specific TA input that would ring a few alarm bells for me. :unsure:

Are you sure that your daughter is getting the TA support documented in the Statement and do you have a current IEP ?

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Hi KarenA

It seems to me that the TA is there just to support her but they are also trying to make her independant of the TA so that she doesnt become to attached and needy, in my opinion its so she can help others in the class, she needs help in many areas such as reading, spelling etc, they did say today that they would help her with her fine motor skills but this would be another teacher that would take her out of class for this. also they are getting her assessed for auditory memory prob. not sure how i feel about mainstream school anymore, feel at a loss as to help my daughter without confusing her more, she tried to tell me something the other day, but none of what she said made any sense, so that when i tried prompting with words she stuttered then said oh it no matter, with such a sad face i could have cried, once upon a time she would bash her self because she couldnt get what she wanted across, she's definately changing and making some progress, but the thought of her giving up trying to tell me something was awful. she does have and IEP but i think after our chat today they might have to relook at this, i think they have ticked boxes in things that she did once but looking at it she is not consistent so some things need to be changed.

kind regards

mc

Edited by mc31

My son is 10 and is struggling big time with maths and esp his tables...he learns them but within 5minutes has forgoten them totally and trying to do any sums useing tables he finds impossible.

re: the Maths: you could try any strategies that are for dyscalculia (the book: The Dyscalculia Toolkit is quite good).

I have been a TA for several children who can follow methods, but cannot understand the oneness of one or that two is twice as much as one, etc.

We use Cuisennaire, Diennes blocks, Numicon or real objects - all visual representations. What strategies is the TA using to help him in class? We often use our fingers to work out number bonds to 10 (eg: fold two fingers down, how many are left?).

If your child can learn the two times table, they can work the rest out from that (ie: write out their own times table chart at the beginning of Maths tests: 1x+2x = 3x, 2x + 2x = 4x, etc).

My daughter has been getting on ok at school she is 7 by the way and is under the ASD diagnosis, although they say she is working about 18mths behind

teacher seems to think she should be able to grasp her 2, 5, 10 x tables (she isnt, and can't make head nor tail of it all)

but that she sight spells such as "what" becomes "wot" "put" is "pot" sometimes with 2 oo's

Hi,

When you say your daughter is 7 do you mean just 7 or nearly 8? and working 18mths behind - only that my NT daughter is 6 and will be 7 in less than 4mths and she struggles with her x tables and spells like you mention - but I didn't realise this was a problem for her age - I've always thought she seemed average for her learning - the school haven't mentioned it either and have been telling me she's doing really well - you have me worried now.

Take care,

Jb x

Hi,

When you say your daughter is 7 do you mean just 7 or nearly 8? and working 18mths behind - only that my NT daughter is 6 and will be 7 in less than 4mths and she struggles with her x tables and spells like you mention - but I didn't realise this was a problem for her age - I've always thought she seemed average for her learning - the school haven't mentioned it either and have been telling me she's doing really well - you have me worried now.

Take care,

Jb x

Hi she was 7 in july, she has had her statement since starting school, to be honest i thought she was doing ok too (in my eyes she is doing very well considering) its hard to look back on my eldest who has no probs but i dont really remember her at this age and what she was learning, i know all children have to be taught, but when your dealing with someone with ASD its hard to know the best way to teach or even help them with so said homework without causing more confusion, as it said in her statement she is already learning by rote (not knowing the meaning of subject) this surely can't be good to carry on learning this way. please dont be worried (yeah i know easy for me to say as i worry too) just have a chat with her school if she is struggling. This is the point im up to apart from posting on here to see if anyone else has been here with their child.

kind regards

mc

My son is 14 Aspergers and also has a diagnosis of dyscalculia. We found that he only actually made any progress once he got that diagnosis and was treated as such. Before that he was given more of the same. Times tables are still hard but he is on track to get a GCSE - something at age 8 I thought impossible. He has a high I Q and I think that his school found it hard to accept the level of his difficulties. Good luck