Sign in to follow this  
mygifts1306

Toiletting troubles

Dear all, This concerns my little boy Nigel, nearly 7 we have noticed a trend in the last 6 months or so. For some reason he has not learnt how to wipe himself properly after he has done the toilet. He was diagnosed with Aspergers Communication/social impairment in dec 08. I am wondering what other parents of children of similar ages have got these challenges and how they are tackling it. I find this most astonishing because he was toilet trained at 2 and a half. However I will point out that he seemed to get engrossed in whatever activity he did that he used to wet and soil himself at the age of 4. I have continued to help him wipe his botton but he is getting older and a little shy and its a shame as he is just trying to be independent. A friend was suggesting a incontinence nurse? I am not sure and wonder is anyone had this problem.

many thanks >:D<<'>

My son is 10 and will not and can not wipe his bumb after a number 2...he hates the idea of germs being there n possibly going on his hands and when he does try which entails wrapping numerous amounts of baby wipes round his hand and wrist :rolleyes: he ends up with it up his back n down his legs......O/T are involved and we try their tips but so far im getting nowere.....he was also clean by age 3.

my 9 year old messes himself,while engrossed in whatever, i don't make a big thing about it,because he says oh dear and all that and try the next day when he is clean great clean pants. also occassionally he asks me to help him,but mostly he does it himself and he becomes very fussy, It was a battle to stop him using the towels, have ou ever tried those wet ones and get him to try those for extra clean?Its a tricky one, particularly as he would not use school toilets until this year,after a long battle and with help from the school nurses,who are fantastic,they ask you questions and to keep a record of in put of drink and food amounts and out puts time ,and we were able to wrok out when he is likely to need a toilet.

I notest that you use the word "Properly" Just wondering how much of an attempt he makes of it. I don't think many 7 year olds, or even some a lot older do a good job of it. Isn't that what underpants are for. :sick:

To be honest when my son was that age getting him to use the toilet away from home was a triumph, getting him to wipe his bum properly afterworlds come a long way down the list of things to worry about. At some point, cant really remember when he just seem to get the hang of it. Hes now 9 and takes care of himself.

i think its great they try themselves,it makes so much difference from,when they wouldn't and i got dirty pants tonight, so i said,what happened there i don't know he said,oh well maybe tomorrow they will be clean,thats all i can do. he does have problems with constipation anyway,i ask if he is having problems he just says no,it seems to be every now and then i get a run of dirty pants and the next perfectly clean ones,it just depends if he is stressed or his mind is on other things. mine is 9 too and he took ages to get used to using toilets.well into his 4th and 5 th year.

Thank you for your reassuring replies and your advice. When I say wiping properly I meant that he cannot seem to wipe himself. We use flushable wipes in the toilet because I dont think loo roll wipes well at all. I encourage him to wipe his bottom and check if the brown is still there until its all gone. ( a tip i read on a toileting tip for kids) I dont make a fuss and remain calm. Just to give you an example, yesterday he had been to the toilet and there was an awful smell, and so i asked him, has he been? he said no. Then I asked him politely if he will let me check, he refused and said there is nothing. I had to struggle to wipe him when I did i showed him a lot of brown and encouraged him to tell me the truth in the future. He is getting really strong and all I want for him is to be cooperative. I dont expect him to be obidient, he is strong willed.

I will try your suggestions. Many thanks.