Sign in to follow this  
justine1

Need lots of advice

Hello everyone

I need lots of advice please,I am new to all this and really dont know where to start.My son had his first assesment a month and half ago,we were told he has AS but need a second assesment where she will only talk to him.I have seen many conflicting messages about statements and DLA,some say you can apply before a written diagnosis others say you can do so before???I did start the DLA form which is ever so long but wondered if it would be better to wait,even though I was able to give the name and place where my son goes for assesment.My main concern is help at school though,he gets no help and teachers are not helpful I have looked at various links etc. on statements and help at school including the bedforshire council education page it gives no advice on who to contact about getting him help,so how do I go about this and again do I need to wait until the diagnosis is on paper???Sorry to ask many questions and seem a bit daft but I am really busy at the moment and trying my best to keep everything balanced my son is really upset and feel at a loss really.Please help.

Hi justine.It is all very confusing at first. >:D<<'>

You do not need to have a diagnosis in order for your son to have help in school.

All that is required is that a child has different or extra educational needs compared with other children of the same age.

Unless there is a sudden urgent need the LA usually expect that school will have used all available resources to put support in place at School Action and School Action Plus before they would consider a Statutary Asssessment of SEN [the assessment that decides whether a child will need a Statement].

So it is important that the school put some provision in place and that it is formally documented in an IEP.

The SENCO at school is the person responsible for arranging and co-ordinating any SEN provision.It may well be worth meeting with them to expain what needs your child has and to request support.

There is some very good information on the NAS web site.I will find a link.

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1763

All of the sections on this page might be useful.

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/advice-about-educ...-extra-help.htm

This may be helpful too.

Edited by Karen A

What Karen said - work with the school to get him help there. We started with a meeting between us, Head, class teacher and Senco. Just go in & say you want to arrange a meeting and see where it goes from there.....

Re DLA, you don't need a dx, although it can help, but it is financial aid for the extra expences that having a disability incurs. I would strongly advise getting some help filling it in if you haven't done one before. CAB DIAL etc can all help complete the form with you and explain what the criteria is.

Also get in touch with local organisations, NAS etc and see if there are courses/groups you can attend. We found the Early Bird course really helpful - and gave us lots of signposts of where to look next.

Thank you so very much Karen and KezT you put it very simple english that I could now understand.Before the summer hols they did say he has the action plus thing I had to sign what they were going to be doing with him but its supposed to be updated,like before he had a problem with classroom keeping still fidgeting and disturbing others,they helped him through that and he is better in class but really aggressive at playtime as he doesnt know the boundries of playing,their suggestion was to keep him in at playtime not the whole time but about half in and out at play,I didnt sign anything about this,also he has told me that he often ends up in the office which nobody has ever mentioned,I get frustrated because seems like the minute someone gets hurt its "Sam has done this and..."but the rest of the time I get told nothing,I was hoping to see the teacher last week for parents evening but she was off sick and no arrangements have been made to do this in the near future.Tomorrow is the last day before half term and think it would be good to go for such a meeting like you mention with the senco and headteacher,but its unlikely to happen tomorrow.Anyway thank you again because I honestly didnt know where to start the meeting sounds like the perfect place to start.

Thank you so very much Karen and KezT you put it very simple english that I could now understand.Before the summer hols they did say he has the action plus thing I had to sign what they were going to be doing with him but its supposed to be updated,like before he had a problem with classroom keeping still fidgeting and disturbing others,they helped him through that and he is better in class but really aggressive at playtime as he doesnt know the boundries of playing,their suggestion was to keep him in at playtime not the whole time but about half in and out at play,I didnt sign anything about this,also he has told me that he often ends up in the office which nobody has ever mentioned,I get frustrated because seems like the minute someone gets hurt its "Sam has done this and..."but the rest of the time I get told nothing,I was hoping to see the teacher last week for parents evening but she was off sick and no arrangements have been made to do this in the near future.Tomorrow is the last day before half term and think it would be good to go for such a meeting like you mention with the senco and headteacher,but its unlikely to happen tomorrow.Anyway thank you again because I honestly didnt know where to start the meeting sounds like the perfect place to start.

Hi.Unless your son is anxious at playtime and so would find it less stressful to be inside sometimes I don't think the answer is to keep him in.

The idea of appropriate support is to enable children to participate in all areas of school life rather than to remove them which can just be more isolating.

There are lots of strategies and ways of supporting children in social activities.

The NAS has some information just on that topic that might give you some ideas regarding things you could ask for at the meeting.

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp...393&a=12203

The IEP does need to be updated regularly in order to be useful.

Edited by Karen A

Hi Justine,

You don't need a specific diagnosis to apply for either DLA or a Statement, since both are based on level of need rather than diagnosis - however, you may find that the diagnostic assessments provide documented evidence of those needs.

Hello everyone,thanks for your help with this post.I have been to meet with the headteacher,she is the SENCO as I found out today,but great timing as they get a special needs educator to come in once a week and she happened to be present at the time.Seems like they have been doing lots to get things (statements etc) sorted for my son but nobody has involved me in this.Anyway,they have said they will meet the educational physc on Monday and discuss an assesment for my son,they also said they in the process of meeting with a board/team to discuss concerns and problems.They said he has settled down alot which is positive .I did feel I was rushed a bit but prehaps its because I didnt actually make an appointment which I asked for but she insisted I come in right away.On the positive side they say my eldest son is WONDERFUL!!!!Thanks again I couldnt have made that step without your help and support >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi in these early days I would advise you keep a diary of events, date it, state profession you saw, there name and what they said, in as much detail as possible, also get the headteacher to write a formal letter of the meeting and the expectations of what they want, ie a statement.

Playtimes are unstructures, increase in social interaction, increase in communication and mayhem of running and noise so crowded and busy, this maybe or may not be the issue with your son but playtime for some children is like running head on into enermy sidelines, ensure there is a concreate action plan there is soooo much the school can do to support your son at playtime, limiting his time in the playground will just reduce the time he is with other children, something that needs a careful plan in place for him to reach to a stage he can cope been with other children.

The school are clearly not meeting his needs in the playground, the nas have booklets on further support for the playground and unstructured times.

I would keep a file of any corrisponance you recieve and photocopy anything the proffessionals want you to give them, so that the real copy doesnt get lost in transition, as it does happen mysteriously.

Anyway just be cautious of any verbal promises they make, get it in written format, and get collecting evidence as much as possible, file it and keep it safe and write a daily dairy of any school related incidents, including the incidents you posted on your opening post.

Im sorry if I sound suspicous but Ive been promised the world for J for it to disapear once I complained the school wasnt meeting his needs, the relationship broke down to disrepair and we had to start again in a new school, who I didnt trust straight away, but over time the school did become very supportive.

Your the detective now, mother sen detective.

JsMumxxx

J recieved DLA before DX and that was for Speech and Langauge Disorder/Anxiety/Challenging Behaviour, Behavioural and emotional and mental health difficulties and learning difficulties when he was six years old.

We did have to go tribunal, but the panel gave him middle rate then on renewal and additional evidence and a dx of ADHD recieved care and mobility and again after recent renewal got care and mobility again and he has only just been dx with ASD.

So it can be done, the DLA goes on needs and freqency and level of supervision required for your child compaired to children without a disability, so ensure you get support with filling it in, it is also very emotionally draining so get support.

NAS do have really good support service for DLA and there is other websites too including cerebra, and contact a family, in some areas there is outreach workers for Contact a family who will help you throw the process one to one. face to face.

Do not rush it, and go throw each section describing key care requirements even if you repeat yourself as you will no daught do because the forms are just so repetative, but write it all again even if its repeating what you have already stated seven sections ago.

Ensure you get help basically.

JsMumxxxx

Hello everyone,thanks for your help with this post.I have been to meet with the headteacher,she is the SENCO as I found out today,but great timing as they get a special needs educator to come in once a week and she happened to be present at the time.Seems like they have been doing lots to get things (statements etc) sorted for my son but nobody has involved me in this.Anyway,they have said they will meet the educational physc on Monday and discuss an assesment for my son,they also said they in the process of meeting with a board/team to discuss concerns and problems.They said he has settled down alot which is positive .I did feel I was rushed a bit but prehaps its because I didnt actually make an appointment which I asked for but she insisted I come in right away.On the positive side they say my eldest son is WONDERFUL!!!!Thanks again I couldnt have made that step without your help and support >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hello Justine1,

I would advise you to get a free copy of the SEN code of practice (England) as this sets out what should happen when a child has a special educational need. You can get a copy by phoning 0845 602 2260 or you can print a copy out at. www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/3724/SENCodeOfPractice.pdf

I agree it is a good idea to keep a diary, particularly noting when your son has been upset, what happened beforehand, how he behaved during the upset and how he calmed. Also, some schools are happy to do a home/school diary where yourself and school can exchange information about how your son has been at home/school on a daily basis. It is a means of keeping tabs on how he is doing, any issues that have arisen, how they were dealt with and whether the intervention was successful. It only take a few minutes for the teacher/TA to put a few lines in at the end of the day and can make a huge difference knowing if your son has been upset at home/school - forewarned is forearmed. If you or school know your has been upset, you are prepared and can make adjustments as required.

Best wishes

OAASIS