pearl

Oh, SUCH good news ...

JP has finished his apprenticeship at our city council - and has been offered a permanent job in Legal Services! :dance:

There was no guarantee of this, so we are all fit to burst with happiness here.

He started off in Legal 2 years ago & loved it, so they already know him there. He doesn't have to go through an interview, & there's career progression - he could become a paralegal, for instance, studying part-time.

Soooo proud of my lad - he's going to start looking for his own place come the new year.

If anyone had told me just 4 years ago that this would happen, I'd never have believed them. :thumbs:

Nice to hear a success story after all he's been through; hope it works out well :thumbs:

Thanks all. I feel like I can exhale for the first time in two years :thumbs:

The best bit has been .... he's done this with practically no input from us. Yes, we've been supporting him, offering advice etc. but as far as contact with work goes, we've had to take a back seat as he's an adult. I can count on one hand the number of times I've contacted them. He has an award ceremony for his apprenticeship in November which we will be invited to - I can't wait.

To think, just 4 years ago he'd never crossed a main road on his own & had never got on a bus alone. I hope its an encouragement to everyone - you just never know how things will turn out.

Pearl, it's actually NORMAL for a young adult to need support and advice from their parents. My brother is 24, but still often discusses things with my parents, and sometimes even with me! I think a lot of the time he would manage OK and is really only seeking reassurance, but that reassurance is what enables him to handle situations confidently rather than just bumble through.

It's really good news that he has a secure job - something many non-disabled people are struggling with at the moment.

Oh yes I take your point Tally, my NT daughter still discusses stuff with me. Its more the work situation I was meaning - it wouldn't be normal for parents to be involved in an adult child's work life, & we pretty much haven't, apart from a couple of blips when work needed AS-specific input from us.

We are fully expecting he'll need lots of support as he starts looking for his own place etc., & we are more than happy to give it :)

Thanks all. I feel like I can exhale for the first time in two years :thumbs:

The best bit has been .... he's done this with practically no input from us. Yes, we've been supporting him, offering advice etc. but as far as contact with work goes, we've had to take a back seat as he's an adult. I can count on one hand the number of times I've contacted them. He has an award ceremony for his apprenticeship in November which we will be invited to - I can't wait.

To think, just 4 years ago he'd never crossed a main road on his own & had never got on a bus alone. I hope its an encouragement to everyone - you just never know how things will turn out.

It's great news and like you said you never now how thing's will turn out, just on a small scale T bought her first item of clothing came home with a coat instead of book, shock horror i couldn't stop :)

Wow, it's so brilliant to hear success stories like this. Well done to all of you, I imagine a lot of stress, worry, anxiety, and hopefullness went into reaching this point.

As someone else mentioned, it is an achievement for anyone to get a job at the moment!

:notworthy::thumbs::clap:

He's got a meeting with Legal next week to discuss details - hopefully a small pay rise too :thumbs:

And we are viewing a flat next week - :o this is all happening very fast!

That's awesome! Oh, congratulations JP, on your new job and a thoroughly heartfelt well-done! (I got a bit teary-eyed reading that, you know!) :tearful:

What wonderful news, I'm so pleased for you guys, Pearl....fabulous, just fabulous.

:thumbs:>:D<<'> :dance:

Thanks for sharing that, Pearl. Made my evening, it really has. X