Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

A recreated Rover SD1

Here's a question from a friend. Would you be interested in buying a car that looked almost identical to the Rover SD1 if they were produced today?

My friend considers the Rover SD1 to be Britain's national car and is interested in setting up a company to manufacture a recreation using the same bodyshell and modern mechanical parts providing there is enough enthusiasm from the public. Engines will range from 2000cc up to a large V8 although alternative power plants such as electric motors and hydrogen fuel cells could be fitted to future versions.

A cheap imitation might appeal to some people who can't afford the real thing, but your friend's idea does not sound especially cheap. Older cars do not tend to have bodywork designed to cope with the speeds of modern engines. It sounds a very dangerous idea to me.

I think your friend needs to consider that his enthusiasm for this car might not be shared by many people.

A cheap imitation might appeal to some people who can't afford the real thing, but your friend's idea does not sound especially cheap

The Rover SD1 ceased production over 20 years ago and surviving examples are now rare. The recreation is not meant to be cheap. It is meant to be a prestigious car like its original.

Older cars do not tend to have bodywork designed to cope with the speeds of modern engines. It sounds a very dangerous idea to me.

I hope you are aware that the original Rover SD1 was available with a heaving great 3.5 litre V8 engine. It was a scorcher and the bodywork showed no signs of creaking and straining at high speed. Vitesses with the V8 engine were used by the police as motorway patrol cars and as security cars at various Royal events of the 1970s and 80s.