JeanneA

Hate this time of year!

Hi gang sorry to spoil the fun but I always dread when halloween and fireworks times come around. As you all probably know by now, my son Glen 15 is autistic and gets scared with certain noises etc. I have downloaded a poster from the Essex Police to put on my door later saying: Sorry no trick or treaters. Glen isn't great with strangers particularly people coming to the door that keep knocking which happens on halloween night so I'm hoping the poster will do the trick and we will not get any callers, fingers crossed!

I've put one of these posters up as well. I hope no one knocks on the door, but I certainly won't be answering it if they do!

Fireworks are rather harder to avoid. Would some loud music drown them out, or would that just upset him even more?

Well we had no callers last night thank goodness! There were loads of bangs from fireworks though but like you said we can't avoid that! No loud music wouldnt' work I'm afraid, Glen would be really anxious with loud music in the house.

In our area you have to put a pumpkin out to show that you want visitors. We went to one house that had a huge sticker on the door saying "please don't ring bell - baby asleep - help yourself to chocs" - and by the door was a bowl of chocolates.

I went out with my son and daughter. He likes to dress up and go trick or treating. But he doesn't have alot of stammina. We walked around the block - took about 30 mins in all and were back home. There were some fireworks. He seems to be a bit better with them now than when he was younger.

Husband stayed home for any kids coming to our house.

So that's that done and dusted for the next year. I must admit the thing I found hardest of all is trying to find dressing up costumes for children over 8.

Hello

i was ok on Halloween night fireworks and trick or treating activity. Then again we were on a campsite which banned trick and treating. it really bugs me that the idea of bonfire night is totally lost. i would understand if it was the Friday after 5th but every day for almost 2 weeks is a bit much. Saying that i haven't heard and fireworks since Saturday.

Alexis