Sign in to follow this  
baddad

scaredy cat...

Fireworks started going off around here about 15 mins ago...

Ben's cat is really unhappy, sneaking around mewling pathetically (she does a lot of that anyway, but this is a different sort of pathetic!) and trying to find somewhere to hole up. I've thrown her out from under my bed, because my room is off limits and that aint changing, but she's avoiding ben's room (her usual fave place) 'cos it backs onto the firework houses etc...

I've dug out an old wicker laundry basket, laid it on it's side and put a towel in it to make a cave/shelter, but any other suggestions for calming a nervy cat appreciated. From experience, 'Bonfire night' is likely to last a good week around here :wallbash::wallbash:

:rolleyes:

Fireworks started going off around here about 15 mins ago...

Ben's cat is really unhappy, sneaking around mewling pathetically (she does a lot of that anyway, but this is a different sort of pathetic!) and trying to find somewhere to hole up. I've thrown her out from under my bed, because my room is off limits and that aint changing, but she's avoiding ben's room (her usual fave place) 'cos it backs onto the firework houses etc...

I've dug out an old wicker laundry basket, laid it on it's side and put a towel in it to make a cave/shelter, but any other suggestions for calming a nervy cat appreciated. From experience, 'Bonfire night' is likely to last a good week around here :wallbash::wallbash:

:rolleyes:

in severe cases vets may give something to sedate them, what about ringing your local vet or animal hospital charity for further advice?

a drop of brandy in her whiskers might help!

JsMumxxx

Just engine searched pets and fireworks, incase anyone with similiar problems.

Look here.

http://www.petfireworkfear.co.uk/top-ten-tips-for-cats.html

there is top ten tips for dogs too.

hope it helps, better than the brandy idea hey.

JsMumxxx

also this firework leaflet from rspca, sooo cute is the kitty.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?...application/pdf

this is also quite informative, but also check out pdsa too

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/petcareleaflets.html

Edited by JsMum

hi there is something called feliway spray can get online or sometimes from vets it is supposed to calm them down when things are stressful,quite expensive but worth it if it works,as another suggestion what if you were to put a radio on to try and mask the noise a bit?hope kitty ok.

regrads julia

Not a lot you can do. If you comfort her, you'll reinforce her fear. Hopefully she will find a place she's happy with and calm herself.

Mine used to be terrified of them until he went deaf!

That Feliway stuff is meant to be great, I know lots of people who swear by it. It comes in a diffuser you can plug in, though you've probably left it a bit late to be worth trying that this year. The spary may help.

hi there is something called feliway spray can get online or sometimes from vets it is supposed to calm them down when things are stressful,quite expensive but worth it if it works,as another suggestion what if you were to put a radio on to try and mask the noise a bit?hope kitty ok.

regrads julia

I had a look at a feliway 'plug in' at the cat rescue centre the other week... i think they should rename them 'saw that mug coming plug ins'! :lol:

She wasn't too bad in the end: as soon as I sat down she jumped up on the back of my chair and that seemd to help her feel 'safe'... So i guess the next time she becomes all tired and emoshunal I'll just have to take the night off!

:D

I hope she gets through the next few days OK. Lots of TLC sounds like a good idea. Cook yourself a roast chicken or a nice bit of salmon, the smell will give her something else to think about. :)

I don't know how ours will react: she has only been going out in the garden since Easter, so we'll see.

K x