Tally

Expensive Cat

Now my cat has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. He was all clear in January and now has severe hyperthyroidism and will need lifelong medication. Poor kitty, he did not tell me he was ill. He doesn't have any of the typical signs. We're also kind of stuck travelling 10 miles for a vet too, because it is silly to look for one near my new house until we get this under control.

Poor you and poor kitty :tearful:

My friend has a diabetic dog. Another friend has a depressed cat on antidepressants. It can be an upsetting but also expensive business.

Another friend has a depressed cat on antidepressants.

What??? How do you know if a cat is depressed? :unsure:

K x

K x

I heard of this on telly the other day,I really laughed I thought animals depressed???But I guess if cats and dogs suffer other " human" illness such as cancer though its obviousley not the same as humans,then I think it is true.I am sure if they off their food dont like playing much etc. that may be the sign just like depression in us.I just wonder though all those wild animals in locked cages (zoo's and aquarium's) how depressed must they be????

I don't think animals suffer from depression in the same way humans do, but there can be behavioural signs like going off their food, destructive/aggressive behaviour, lethargy etc. Generally, when animals are depressed, there is something environmental that needs to be addressed. This may mean the owners changing their behaviour, or even accepting that their home is not suitable for this particular animal. Medications can be helpful in some cases, but there do generally need to be behavioural interventions alongside them.

I recently did a "zookeeper for the day" thingy at Chessington Zoo, and I was really impressed with the lengths the keepers go to to provide the animals with as natural an environment as possible. They are continually looking at improvements that can be made as progress is made in understanding animals' natural behaviour. They liase with other zoos worldwide in order to do this. They have a parrot who became very anxious and unhappy, who now lives in an enclosure away from public view. I've also been especially impressed with Howlett's Zoo, many of the enclosures are designed with the animals' interests in mind, often at the expense of visitors' experience. Some of the animals are also kept out of view and members of the public are not allowed to see them at all. Having wild animals available for public viewing is a way to get people interested in conservation projects. Not only do the zoos make a profit to use for these projects, but it also gets people interested enough to make additional donations.

I have collected Mr Cat's tablets today and unfortunately they cannot be crushed and disguised in a treat. I tried hiding one in his food, but he licked the bowl clean and left the tablet. Then I buried it in some cheese, but again, he left the tablet in the bowl. Eventually, I managed to shove it in his mouth and I think he swallowed it, but it was a traumatic experience all round.

Tomorrow I'm going to try cooking up some chicken and hiding the tablet in the middle of a small chunk. I am praying this will work as a long-term measure!

Edited by Tally

I have collected Mr Cat's tablets today and unfortunately they cannot be crushed and disguised in a treat. I tried hiding one in his food, but he licked the bowl clean and left the tablet. Then I buried it in some cheese, but again, he left the tablet in the bowl. Eventually, I managed to shove it in his mouth and I think he swallowed it, but it was a traumatic experience all round.

That sounds exactly like my Mum's cat!!! If so, get yourself some chain-mail metal double armoured gloves to save your fingers! :lol: My Mum's cat is the most loving, happy, playful, gentle cat until it hears the word V E T or T A B L E T then it may as well be a constant full moon given the behavioural changes :unsure:

Sorry to hear about Poorly Puss.

Has the vet discussed all options with you.

Would they consider a thyroidectomy ? It might be better than having to grapple with a cat every day. They would leave some thyroid in the cat, so he gets some thyroxine. It might be cheaper in the long term as well.

It was bad enough giving my cat her 3 monthly worming tablet ! Then she would hate me for a few days.

Edited by Jannih

The vet did mention there was a surgical option, but said that she wouldn't recommend it at his age (17) and due to his heart condition. At this stage, I agree with her, but I might consider it if I really can't get these tablets down him.

I've taken a chicken breast out of the freezer. I'll cook it tomorrow and see if he'll take his tablet hidden in a chunk of chicken.

The vet did mention there was a surgical option, but said that she wouldn't recommend it at his age (17) and due to his heart condition. At this stage, I agree with her, but I might consider it if I really can't get these tablets down him.

I've taken a chicken breast out of the freezer. I'll cook it tomorrow and see if he'll take his tablet hidden in a chunk of chicken.

WOW Tally your cat must be really loved to live that long >:D<<'> I guess these problems come with age,I know its upsetting to see a loved pet in any pain or just "not themselves" so sorry :tearful:

My sister works in a vets and started to tell me, deathly serious, about some poor old pooch who had been traumatised by something nasty happening to him. (Genuine concern from me at this point, I don't like hearing of animals suffering...)

Then she went on to gravely outline the dog's newly put-togeher treatment regimine. Pheromone spray, exercise plan, fine and dandy. It was when she got to, 'And the animal behaviourist has started him on acupuncture and play therapy....' that I had to bury my head in a cushion and giggle helplessly.

Yes, I know, I'm heartless, my sis told me so already, but I just had this image of a bloodhound face down on a massage table, bristling in pins, telling a therapist about his day.....ooh, I'm mean, aren't I?

There's a zoo in England somewhere (or was it America???),that has developed a way of desensitizing their animals to typical treatments, check up procedures and vet visits, through rewarding them for accepting injections well and so on. It was quite something to see a huge cat flinch slightly as it received a vaccination, then meekly accept its treat! And the thought that went into the design of this zoo- the big cats for instance were of 4 main species- lion, tiger, puma and cheetah, say. All their enclosures were connected by walkways that get opened at certain times of the day. Each species has its own day for getting to walk round and explore aLL the enclosures- it was fabulous, they were so lively and healthy looking.

Hope your poor cat accepts his tablets more easily tomorrow, Tally. I may have just mocked a suffering doggie, but perhaps your vet has behavioural techniques they could suggest to try and make this easier? Poor chap, (Mr Cat, that is!) hope he's feeling better soon.

He's just been sick. This can apparently be a side effect of the tablets, which would mean they won't work. But then he is occasionally sick anyway, it might just be a coincidence he's done it today.

K x

He mopes around, goes off his food and pulls all his fur out. :tearful:

we found cooking up a piece of fresh salmon and then putting pills in that,also the vets nurse suggested heating up cat food, smells disgusting but that did the trick too eveidently it masks the smell of the pills.we foun dboth of these worked ,hope you find a way ,must be horrible putting the cat under even more stress,hope it works out.

He ate it when I hid it inside a cube of chicken :)

But now he has vomited twice after taking his medication. The leaflet lists this as a possible side effect, and says it makes this medication unsuitable. The other medication needs to be taken twice a day and is more expensive. It might be a coincidence as he sometimes gets hairballs, but vomits several times before he actually gets the hairball up. I've given him a third tablet, and if he is sick again I will have to ring the vet on Monday.

He ate it when I hid it inside a cube of chicken :)

But now he has vomited twice after taking his medication. The leaflet lists this as a possible side effect, and says it makes this medication unsuitable. The other medication needs to be taken twice a day and is more expensive. It might be a coincidence as he sometimes gets hairballs, but vomits several times before he actually gets the hairball up. I've given him a third tablet, and if he is sick again I will have to ring the vet on Monday.

Be careful that you don't overdose him. Best not to give him anymore and take him back to the vet.

I know this might sound hard but would you consider having him put to sleep. He is 17 years old, which is pretty old for a cat. It's just that he is going to be on medication for the rest of his life and maybe forcing tablets down him is proving to be a bit traumatic for the poor thing.

It's just a thought. Discuss it with your vet.

He has not vomited since taking his tablet last night, so maybe he'll be alright with these tablets after all. I'll ring the vet if he's sick again though.

He's on the usual starting dose, even though his hypothyroidism is quite severe, so I don't think there is any risk of overdose. He has to have another blood test in 3 weeks to check how it's working, so we will know more then.

I absolutely would consider having him put to sleep if it seemed like the right option. At the moment though, he is a very happy, contented cat despite his age. The vet has not raised it as an option, and vets are generally very good at letting you know when it's time to consider it. Putting the tablet in a piece of meat seems to be working well. (We are having sirloin steak tonight . . . not that I spoil him or anything!)

awww i hope the meds do work. 17 years is good innings though, my old cat is 17 (he still lives with dad but i got him for me when i was 10 years old lol) and is beginning to look quite frail, but still goes out and is a cheeky chappy. seems he has gone deaf though as he didn;t respond to fireworks this year...normally he is terrified!

i think all animals feel depression etc. i know some of my rats definately feel very low after one of thei cagemates die. often sleeping alot and going off their food..or even get all grumpy and agressive. but then they are very social animals...like us. they did acupuncture and massage courses for animals at my old animal care college(i did diploma in animal care) lol it sounds silly...and gives me the same funny images :lol: but apparently they DO work and is quite common now. even the old kennels i worked in now have a hydrotherapy pool

Edited by aliwoo

seems he has gone deaf though as he didn;t respond to fireworks this year...normally he is terrified!

This was how I discovered Mr Cat had gone deaf too. He still gets very upset by low-pitched sounds like thunder or pneumatic drills. I don't know whether he can hear them or 'feel' them.

He had another tablet last night without vomiting, so I think this medication might work out after all!

This weekend he's started vomiting again. He's not eating much and I have had to put the tablets straight down his throat as he won't even eat the meat with the tablet hidden in it. He is losing weight really fast and spends ages sitting under the bed with a really sad look on his face.

I have an appointment booked for the nurse to show me how to give him the tablets properly, but I've decided that he's not having any more of these tablets. Tomorrow I am going to phone up and try to book an appointment with the vet instead.

Oh dear. :( It's a good idea to let the vet check him out. Hope it's nothing serious and that there's an alternative to this medication.

K x

He seems a lot brighter now, though he's still vomiting a bit. He's starting a new medication, which the vet has had to order in. The vet is a bit worried that he drank a lot of water on the tablets. It may have been a side effect, or it may have been a symptom of kidney disease - which can be masked by hyperthyroidism and become evident on medication. His blood test results apparently indicate that kidney disease is a risk.

He had to have more antibiotice for the ear infection he's had since July. The vet said the hyperthyroidism is putting his body under strain, which explains why he hasn't fought it off yet.

Poor chap, his body is falling apart. He is 17, so it's bound to happen. He's quite happy for the moment though. Today he went for a long walk. He jumped over the fence and I couldn't see where he went. He seemed to enjoy himself though!