Sign in to follow this  
Special_talent123

A Day In The Life Of An Autistic Girl

Hello everyone, i have been writing an autobiography about my life with autism and hope it would raise awareness and also show u how i perceive autism in my own little world. I hope you enjoy, i have spoken to NAS and they will look for publishers when im half way through my book but i only done 8 or 9 pages of chapters so im going to keep writing until there is enough. I been writing since January 2009. Any way my old teaching assistant has seen my draft copy the whole lot of it and thinks its great loved how i ordered and stuff, and she thinks it should be published and she would like a signed copy if it reaches store.

My name is Kirsty and I am officially diagnosed with Autism at age 14 years old.

I decided to create a book about my life living with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder and my grown up world.

The aim of this book is to create more awareness and understanding of what it is like to have an Autistic Spectrum Disorder and that they wish to succeed in an Independent life.

By writing this autobiography, I hope it would inspire Professionals, Families, Carers, Friends and the Child/Adult with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I also hope that it would help people to understand the world of our ASD in our own individual way, and that we need some support in some areas of our lifes.

I feel that there is a lack of understanding about ASD’s, because some people perceive us being a bad person, we are not; we just have difficulties in some areas of our lives and need support to help us through the difficulties.

Sometimes people don’t know how to talk to us and may say things that we don’t understand and we need things said to us in a clear and simple way so that we can understand.

How I View Autistic Spectrum Disorder

Autism is a developmental disability which affects how we think and communicate in our lives.

I actually like to think that ASD’s is a special gift that we have because we may have difficulty in some areas but may be good in other areas. Like I have knowledge about Dolphin’s and able to teach it to others that people didn’t know about.

There is Autism and there is Aspergers which is a form of autism.

They might get diagnosed with Aspergers at there late teenage years or as adults this is because people grow up as children and not been recognized and not show the signs until later in life.

I am about to discuss the 3 main areas we can have trouble with there is a long list so I will list 2 or 3 examples in each of the 3 main areas.

SOCIAL COMMUNICATION:

May not understand expressions.

May take things said literally.

Find it difficult to start a conversation.

SOCIAL INTERACTION

Find it difficult to make and keep friends.

Find it hard to make eye contact; it can be distressing.

May not understand how people feel.

IMAGINATION

Gets distressed when routine changes (unexpected change)

May talk about there obsession a lot, this may be they want to communicate but find it difficult.

Find it difficult to understand how other people feel

You can develop other disabilities such as:

Dyspraxia: Coordination problems

Dyslexia: Getting words back to front

ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder)

ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder)

These are common among people with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder

Early Diagnosis

At age 4 years old i was diagnosed with Learning Difficulties and a Speech delay.

I needed a lot of help to communicate by speech, as I were delayed. I could say a word and point at it but couldn’t speak sentences.

I also had difficulty understanding the concept of stories.

At age 9, I were diagnosed with Dyspraxia. That explained why I were falling over the time and still do. I also have difficulty with balance.

I were referred to an Physiotherapist and Occupational Therapist.

well done you, its a very good idea to try and publish your story and i hope you are able to do it. It would be interesting to read and try to learn from what you write. I have a 12 year old daughter and a 14 year old son neither are able to really express how there autism affects them just yet. I think it may be useful for them to read as well as they would be able to discover there are many children with Autism all with different stories of how their Autism affects them. Good luck to you and im sure your parents must be very proud of you.

well done you, its a very good idea to try and publish your story and i hope you are able to do it. It would be interesting to read and try to learn from what you write. I have a 12 year old daughter and a 14 year old son neither are able to really express how there autism affects them just yet. I think it may be useful for them to read as well as they would be able to discover there are many children with Autism all with different stories of how their Autism affects them. Good luck to you and im sure your parents must be very proud of you.

thank you. i cant really comment on my parents to be honest.

i am not 14 if it sounds like it in the book, it says i were diagnosed at age 14.

Wow... what can I say? This is really impressive - you deserve a gold star (or preferably something more meaningful). I enjoy writing like this as a hobby and had been looking into something like this one day, only specifically for AS. For a girl of only 19 as well... I admire you. I can only hope that anything I write can be looked upon this way.

If ever you feel you need help with any of the project, I'm sure I speak for many on the forum in saying this: You only need to ask.

this is brill and i would read it i love the way you have start this book off, :thumbs:

Hello everyone, i have been writing an autobiography about my life with autism and hope it would raise awareness and also show u how i perceive autism in my own little world. I hope you enjoy, i have spoken to NAS and they will look for publishers when im half way through my book but i only done 8 or 9 pages of chapters so im going to keep writing until there is enough. I been writing since January 2009. Any way my old teaching assistant has seen my draft copy the whole lot of it and thinks its great loved how i ordered and stuff, and she thinks it should be published and she would like a signed copy if it reaches store.

My name is Kirsty and I am officially diagnosed with Autism at age 14 years old.

I decided to create a book about my life living with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder and my grown up world.

The aim of this book is to create more awareness and understanding of what it is like to have an Autistic Spectrum Disorder and that they wish to succeed in an Independent life.

By writing this autobiography, I hope it would inspire Professionals, Families, Carers, Friends and the Child/Adult with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I also hope that it would help people to understand the world of our ASD in our own individual way, and that we need some support in some areas of our lifes.

I feel that there is a lack of understanding about ASD’s, because some people perceive us being a bad person, we are not; we just have difficulties in some areas of our lives and need support to help us through the difficulties.

Sometimes people don’t know how to talk to us and may say things that we don’t understand and we need things said to us in a clear and simple way so that we can understand.

How I View Autistic Spectrum Disorder

Autism is a developmental disability which affects how we think and communicate in our lives.

I actually like to think that ASD’s is a special gift that we have because we may have difficulty in some areas but may be good in other areas. Like I have knowledge about Dolphin’s and able to teach it to others that people didn’t know about.

There is Autism and there is Aspergers which is a form of autism.

They might get diagnosed with Aspergers at there late teenage years or as adults this is because people grow up as children and not been recognized and not show the signs until later in life.

I am about to discuss the 3 main areas we can have trouble with there is a long list so I will list 2 or 3 examples in each of the 3 main areas.

SOCIAL COMMUNICATION:

May not understand expressions.

May take things said literally.

Find it difficult to start a conversation.

SOCIAL INTERACTION

Find it difficult to make and keep friends.

Find it hard to make eye contact; it can be distressing.

May not understand how people feel.

IMAGINATION

Gets distressed when routine changes (unexpected change)

May talk about there obsession a lot, this may be they want to communicate but find it difficult.

Find it difficult to understand how other people feel

You can develop other disabilities such as:

Dyspraxia: Coordination problems

Dyslexia: Getting words back to front

ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder)

ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder)

These are common among people with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder

Early Diagnosis

At age 4 years old i was diagnosed with Learning Difficulties and a Speech delay.

I needed a lot of help to communicate by speech, as I were delayed. I could say a word and point at it but couldn’t speak sentences.

I also had difficulty understanding the concept of stories.

At age 9, I were diagnosed with Dyspraxia. That explained why I were falling over the time and still do. I also have difficulty with balance.

I were referred to an Physiotherapist and Occupational Therapist.