coolblue

every child matters autism exemplar

Parents having trouble accessing services might like to take this document with them to refer to next time they have an appointment

http://tinyurl.com/ylrajo6

It's from 2004.

That was interesting reading, and bares absolutely no resemblance to what actually happened in our case.

We also began to raise concerns at age 3. We didn't get a dx until age 6 and a Statement was 18 months on top of that. I am still waiting for SS to become involved eventhough I have repeatedly requested them to do so over the last 2 years.

I have never ever had anyone give me any advice or information about autism. The little input there was went on in school.

I am sure others experience is exactly the same.

But this will be useful to anyone starting to go through the process.

That was interesting reading, and bares absolutely no resemblance to what actually happened in our case.

We also began to raise concerns at age 3. We didn't get a dx until age 6 and a Statement was 18 months on top of that. I am still waiting for SS to become involved eventhough I have repeatedly requested them to do so over the last 2 years.

I have never ever had anyone give me any advice or information about autism. The little input there was went on in school.

I am sure others experience is exactly the same.

But this will be useful to anyone starting to go through the process.

prety much ditto for us.

prety much ditto for us.

Same here. This was what I expected to happen when I first approached the health visitor when G was 3.

I wonder what went wrong ?... :unsure:

:whistle:

Also meant to say, thanks, Coolblue, for finding it...This is a great document to pull out at those moments when you feel you're about to be fobbed off yet again!

18 months of pestering our GP until i was finally referred diagnosed and sent away with an NAS leaflet!

Alexis

We have also never had a multi team agency meeting. We have seen various professionals, but never more than one at any one time! And no-one communicated with the other professionals involved. We've never had a 'key worker'.

Who is the person responsible for this document?

I would like to write to someone and tell them how far from reality their document is.

"taking responsibility" or the NAS guide to "social care assessments for ASDs" should give you some pointers.

We have also never had a multi team agency meeting. We have seen various professionals, but never more than one at any one time! And no-one communicated with the other professionals involved. We've never had a 'key worker'.

Who is the person responsible for this document?

I would like to write to someone and tell them how far from reality their document is.

It's on the Every Child Matters website, so is the responsibility of the DCSF (or the DfES as was in 2004). I've had the interesting experience of writing to the DfES, local authority and my children's school (at about this time) about a particular issue. They blamed each other essentially, and I suspect this is the type of response you will get. Or, they will tell you about the autism education trust, autism bill, SEN training for teachers blah, blah, blah.

Having said that, the more people that complain the better.

It's on the Every Child Matters website, so is the responsibility of the DCSF (or the DfES as was in 2004). I've had the interesting experience of writing to the DfES, local authority and my children's school (at about this time) about a particular issue. They blamed each other essentially, and I suspect this is the type of response you will get. Or, they will tell you about the autism education trust, autism bill, SEN training for teachers blah, blah, blah.

Having said that, the more people that complain the better.

Just to add, it might be worth asking local authorities/ PCTs *why* the exemplar isn't being followed. Not in the sense of stamping our little feet, but in the sense of a genuine question, what is preventing it being followed? This isn't always down to money. For example, recently the training period for educational psychologists was extended and there was a dip in the supply of Ed Psychs. (Yeah, I know, it is usually money, but it would be interesting to know at what point the money isn't getting through.)

Thanks for posting this, very interesting reading, I was promised a multi disciplinary meeting at my sons last appointment with the paed, will be getting onto the secretary this morning to chase it up. I will also be printing myself a copy for future reference when dealing with various agencies.

Thank God for the internet and for this forum, I wonder how far many of us on here would have got without them!!!

What does DCSF stand for?

Department for Children, Schools and Families. It's the same as the DfEE, DfES etc. just a reworked acronym. :wallbash:

Hi, just wondering if anyone can give me some advice with regard to this.

When I took my son to his last paed appointment, the registrar said that she felt a multi agency meeting would be of benefit to aiding a dx. She went on maternity leave the day after the app.

I have been chasing the consultants secretary this week with regards to finding out what is happening over the suggested meeting. The secretary has just called me back to say that she has spoken with DS consultant who has said that she doesn't feel that a meeting would be of any use, no reasons have been given for this.

The secretary is leaving a message for the consultant to contact me with regards to this but is not sure when that will be.

Is the every child matters just a guideline or is it a framework that should be in place, does anyone know???

I am quite annoyed to be honest, a meeting seemed like a logical step forward, and it was at the suggestion of the registrar not myself!!

If someone doesn't know the answner to your question maybe you could phone the DCSF and ask them?

In any case I would send in a letter to the consultant in question stating what was said and agreed at the last meeting and saying that you are awaiting an appointment for a MDT meeting (as per the DCSF ememplar - copy attached), and to please confirm when that will be.

If they write back to you saying that isn't going to happen, ask them to put in writing why they feel this is not necessary and ask them what they are suggesting happens?

I have been so annoyed by this exemplar (well annoyance that it was not adhered to) that I have written to the DCSF and detailed my experience from age 3 onwards and asked them why it bears no resemblance to what actually happened. I will let you know when I get a response!

Thanks Sally44, the consultant is supposed to be calling me next week about it, so I will see what she has to say, it was her registrar who told me she thought that a meeting would be of benefit (she is now on mat leave) Maybe the consultant feels that she has enough evidence together for a diagnosis, I don't know, but I will be calling back if I haven't heard anything by Wednesday. :wallbash:

Hi, just wondering if anyone can give me some advice with regard to this.

When I took my son to his last paed appointment, the registrar said that she felt a multi agency meeting would be of benefit to aiding a dx. She went on maternity leave the day after the app.

I have been chasing the consultants secretary this week with regards to finding out what is happening over the suggested meeting. The secretary has just called me back to say that she has spoken with DS consultant who has said that she doesn't feel that a meeting would be of any use, no reasons have been given for this.

The secretary is leaving a message for the consultant to contact me with regards to this but is not sure when that will be.

Is the every child matters just a guideline or is it a framework that should be in place, does anyone know???

I am quite annoyed to be honest, a meeting seemed like a logical step forward, and it was at the suggestion of the registrar not myself!!

http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/NSF/pages/Nat...frameworks.aspx

Hi.

The answer to your question is here.

Broadly speaking the Framework should be being adopted so it should be being done.

However the situation with a framework like this is much less straightforward than for example the COP on SEN.

Although things should be done it is difficult to use the information to show that a specific individual has to do it and when they should do it by.

You could try writing to the consultant as Sally suggested.

Another option might be to contact PALS.

Karen.

If someone doesn't know the answner to your question maybe you could phone the DCSF and ask them?

In any case I would send in a letter to the consultant in question stating what was said and agreed at the last meeting and saying that you are awaiting an appointment for a MDT meeting (as per the DCSF ememplar - copy attached), and to please confirm when that will be.

If they write back to you saying that isn't going to happen, ask them to put in writing why they feel this is not necessary and ask them what they are suggesting happens?

I have been so annoyed by this exemplar (well annoyance that it was not adhered to) that I have written to the DCSF and detailed my experience from age 3 onwards and asked them why it bears no resemblance to what actually happened. I will let you know when I get a response!

Hi Sally.

I am sorry to be the bearer of less than helpful news.

The NSF is a fairly new development.The autism exempler is a very new development.

So your experience may well bear no resemblance to the document because the document was not produced soon enough. :tearful:

Parents having trouble accessing services might like to take this document with them to refer to next time they have an appointment

http://tinyurl.com/ylrajo6

It's from 2004.

Just wanted to say thanks.I have been looking for this but could not remeber what it was called. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: