Sign in to follow this  
Tally

NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate

Today in the post I received an NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate. I had no idea there was any such thing, nor that I might be entitled to one. I applied for Tax Credits when I started my new job in July, and I'm guessing it must be something to do with that. I did not expect to receive Tax Credits at all when I realised that I wasn't actually earning enough to pay income tax, but I was awarded tax credits. Because I have evidence that I have a disability (I used my DLA letter), I also receive the disability element of tax credits. The certificate was valid from 6th August, but I have only just received it.

The letter came with a small credit-card sized certificate and it says I need to show this to claim my entitlement. I am entitled to:

Free NHS prescriptions

Free NHS dental treatment

Free NHS sight tests

The full value of a voucher towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses

Free NHS wigs and fabric supports

Help with travel to receive NHS treatment under the care of a consultant

Well anyway, just wanted to let people know that they may be entitled to this!

We've had them right from when tax credits first started, I think the cut off point (for us at least) is a family income (my wife's and my taxable income) of something like £17000 a year. They are issued automatically if you qualify.

Before these you use to get a letter saying you were entitled to free prescriptions etc. if you qualified, which you had to show.

To confuse people you don't have to pay tax to get tax credits, and you don't have to be in work to get child tax credits.

The reason it was called tax credit was that it is administered by the income tax office and at first was payed, for most people, in their pay using the tax system.

Edited by chris54

:thumbs: That's great Tally.

But why do they make it so confusing (as Chris' post shows) and not just help people get what they're entitled to - it would save lots of distress and potentially (rather paradoxically) reduce bogus applications and costs. :wacko:

I've been looking up exactly what this involves. Apparently I can get my travel expenses refunded if I travel to a hospital appointment. This includes transport fares, or an estimation of travel costs if you go by car and car parking fees. Since I have to replace my glasses every 6 months or so, the eye test and voucher will be very useful. Don't expect to be making use of the free wig though!

I have a letter, but the actual certificate I would have to show is just credit-card sized.

I'm glad I don't get my tax credits through my pay slip. I would not want my employer to know.