Mumble

Benefits

I never thought this is somewhere I would find myself and to be honest I'm terrified, but I need facts and information fast and I know that people here might be able to help. This relates to ASDs and beyond.

I don't want to go into lots of details, but for medical reasons, I may have to leave my uni course, at least for a while. Unfortunately, all the support I currently have (not that this is from the right people and is generally ad hoc/informal) comes from people related to uni - my counselling, my GP (uni health centre), the massive support I get in halls (from generally being kept an eye on and having someone who gets me and my ASD to emergency medical support). I will lose all of this. I will also lose my accommodation. I honestly don't know if I can cope with this. I have no support network outside of university. I'm not known to social services and I don't claim any benefits other than my disabled student's allowance (which I wouldn't get if not a student). This is about change and losing support.

I will not be able to work for health reasons (I hate having to admit that, I feel like I've failed :(). I don't have a stash of money under my mattress to live on. I don't have anywhere else to live - I can't go home.

Where do I start in sorting out this mess? I've tried looking things up but all the systems and agencies seem so complicated and there's so many different people. I can't get my head round it and I don't know where to begin. I can't cope with having to talk to lots of people (I'm struggling with talking to anyone at the moment). I looked at the benefits link in this forum, but even there there is so much information, I can't take in it, because I'm struggling to think clearly.

Is there something that brings different things together - I need help with: ASD issues, health, housing, benefits and particularly important someone to help me manage all of that and the interaction with different people. When I can't just pick up a phone and call someone it's doubly hard. Is there somewhere I can go and get help to sort it out with someone who will also understand my ASD?

I'm due for an urgent appointment with CMHT anyway, because everything's having a massive negative impact on me, which my GP has said is part of a pyramid of services - will they be able to help me? Should I tell them everything or will they think I can't cope (which is probably true)?

What do I do about housing? I don't think I can cope alone but what are my options? Is there someone who can help me understand these - and what happens when you don't fit a neat category? My health needs mean it wouldn't be safe for me to have to manage alone and these are greatly exacerbated by my ASD and communication needs meaning I struggle to get help when needed and need someone 'on call'. But on a more general day-to-day basis, I need someone who gets the ASD more.

It feels like I'm suddenly faced with doing everything at once when I was hoping for a gradual transition after uni and I just feel totally lost. I just want someone to pick me up and sort it all out for me :tearful: but I know that isn't going to happen and I have to do something, at least try and sort this out. I really feel like I've failed, I've got all these qualifications and yet I can't use them and sort out the 'basics' of life. :(

hi there, im not sure i can help but i jus wanted you to know that i feel for you, and i pray my son is never faced with the task that you are.

i hope someone has the answers to your questions

xx

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I'm so sorry that I can't give you any advice, Mumble. I know nothing of these things :unsure: . I just want to offer you >:D<<'> and I hope someone comes along who can be of more help.

The NAS have a new benefits helpline. I don't know whether they can do it via email - worth looking into.

The Citizen's Advice Bureau are capable of offering a lot of guidance and may even be able to make phone calls and write letters on your behalf. They probably won't be aware of ASD-specific issues, but should be able to help in a general way.

Shelter is a charity who work to prevent homelessness. They don't only work with people who are actually on the streets, but also with people who are "vulnerably housed." I would imagine you fall into their remit. They may not be able to offer you much advice on the disability issues, but may have some ideas of what you may be entitled to on the housing front.

Mental health charities such as Sane or Mind may be worth a try as well.

I would discuss this with the CMHT. They may not be able to help you directly, but should be able to guide you toward the right people. They may have access to support workers who can help you contact people and fill in forms, etc. Don't be afraid of telling them what you need and the difficulties you are having in accessing that. If you can get the to understand that it's these issues that are causing your problems at the moment, they may see that practical help is more important than counselling to help you at the moment.

You may be entitled to a support worker to visit you and help you manage at home. This would be arranged through adult social services. It can be hard to actually get an assessment. I know a couple of adults on an emailing list who have this type of support, if you like I can post the bare bones to the emailing list and see if they come forward and maybe would be willing for me to pass on their email addresses to you. (I WON'T DO THIS UNLESS AND UNTIL YOU SAY IT'S OK, but I also can't promise they have time to help.)

Have you considered looking into renting a room instead of having your own place to deal with? It would mean you wouldn't have to deal with all the household issues, but you'd still have you own private room.

Thanks Tally - I appreciate your help, thought it's lists like this (and this is about the systems) that are freaking me out - I simply don't know how to choose which one to start with: do I go to the NAS, do I go to the CAB, do I contact mental health charities? I thought of making one email with the basic details and sending it but I know that if I get any conflicting information (which is probably highly likely) or more choices to make, this will cause me depending on the type of conflict so much distress/difficulty (at the moment - on a good day, I could cope).

I would discuss this with the CMHT. They may not be able to help you directly, but should be able to guide you toward the right people. They may have access to support workers who can help you contact people and fill in forms, etc. Don't be afraid of telling them what you need and the difficulties you are having in accessing that. If you can get the to understand that it's these issues that are causing your problems at the moment, they may see that practical help is more important than counselling to help you at the moment.

OK, and it's right that it's practical support I need. I can't really access my counselling support at the moment because I'm so overwhelmed by the practical issues going on. I need to sort my basic survival issues before I can deal with other feelings type issues. All I've been able to say to my counsellor is that I'm just feeling really numb, I don't seem to have many feelings of the type I'm supposed to talk about at the moment because there are other issues taking over.

The difficultly with the CMHT is that I've been referred to them previously and got discharged after the initial assessment because my uni could provide more counselling support than they could - but I need to make them see that I will lose all that support if I'm not at uni so need external support.

You may be entitled to a support worker to visit you and help you manage at home. This would be arranged through adult social services. It can be hard to actually get an assessment.

Would CMHT be able to organise this?

Have you considered looking into renting a room instead of having your own place to deal with? It would mean you wouldn't have to deal with all the household issues, but you'd still have you own private room.

I've had a couple of really bad experiences doing this in the past where I was taken advantage of/abused by landlords who took advantage of my naivety because I stupidly simply didn't read the social cues and see what was going on around me and I'm very wary of something similar, even though I'm sure there are plenty of good people out there. I have looked through various listings, but I don't know how I would afford it, and a huge number won't accept anyone who gets any benefits. Plus I don't know if it would be fair on anyone having to live with me.

The Shelter Advice Services Directory can give links to sources of advice on housing and also some of the other issues you've raised: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/a...vices_directory

That's a really useful link, thanks. I think I'll try and put the main issues into writing which might make them clearer in my head (I really struggle with that because I do the ASD thing of assuming that people know what I know :rolleyes:) and contact some of them. Unfortunately Shelter is phone only, but their other links, like the CAB might be helpful.

OK, my list was written in order of who I thought would be most helpful. I would start with the NAS, but bear in mind that there may be other support you are entitled to on the basis of your other conditions which are not ASD. This is why I think the CAB would also be worth contacting as well, since they can be good at the more general things. I've had a quick look at SHelter's website, and it looks like they could be more helpful than I realised, but I'd still place them as 3rd in my list.

I'd suggest the mental health charities only if the others don't give you all the help you need.

Remember that you can always go back to them and try to get things clarified if you get conflicting advice/information.

The CMHT will not be able to arrange the support worker through social services. However, they may have their own support workers who can help you over the short term to negotiate the system and collate the evidence you need. It's worth going to your appointment with some written notes about why you need them not to discharge you. The fact that your uni support will be ending soon is very significant.

OK, my list was written in order of who I thought would be most helpful. I would start with the NAS, but bear in mind that there may be other support you are entitled to on the basis of your other conditions which are not ASD. This is why I think the CAB would also be worth contacting as well, since they can be good at the more general things. I've had a quick look at SHelter's website, and it looks like they could be more helpful than I realised, but I'd still place them as 3rd in my list.

:thumbs: That's helpful, thanks :) I shall put my issues in some meaningful order and do that. One concern I have is people's areas of knowledge, for instance the NAS will be able to help with ASD issues but not other health issues which are the major source of difficulty at the moment which is why I was looking for some overview agency.

At least I have somewhere to start now. I'm also going to see my uni welfare people - well if they're suggesting time out they should know something about what I do, although I guess most students have families they can run home to. :tearful: That's what I really need right now. :(

I never thought this is somewhere I would find myself and to be honest I'm terrified, but I need facts and information fast and I know that people here might be able to help. This relates to ASDs and beyond.

I don't want to go into lots of details, but for medical reasons, I may have to leave my uni course, at least for a while. Unfortunately, all the support I currently have (not that this is from the right people and is generally ad hoc/informal) comes from people related to uni - my counselling, my GP (uni health centre), the massive support I get in halls (from generally being kept an eye on and having someone who gets me and my ASD to emergency medical support). I will lose all of this. I will also lose my accommodation. I honestly don't know if I can cope with this. I have no support network outside of university. I'm not known to social services and I don't claim any benefits other than my disabled student's allowance (which I wouldn't get if not a student). This is about change and losing support.

i guess you have explored options about changing to part time university? i did this and found i lasted another year and a bit enough time to get my DipHE.

i managed to get my uni gp to write me a note to accommodation allowing me to stay even though i was a part time student (60% time). i found my university welfare department invaluable and you can still use them even if leaving university.

I will not be able to work for health reasons (I hate having to admit that, I feel like I've failed :(). I don't have a stash of money under my mattress to live on. I don't have anywhere else to live - I can't go home.

i had to give up university due to bullying and not being able to cope with the death of another aspie at the time. So no friends or other family members to take you in? Even if they live miles away from where you are sleeping on a friends sofa for now would be better than the alternative. If that's the case you need to apply for emergency accommodation quickly.

Where do I start in sorting out this mess? I've tried looking things up but all the systems and agencies seem so complicated and there's so many different people. I can't get my head round it and I don't know where to begin. I can't cope with having to talk to lots of people (I'm struggling with talking to anyone at the moment). I looked at the benefits link in this forum, but even there there is so much information, I can't take in it, because I'm struggling to think clearly.

Go to university welfare department and explain your situation. Mention that due to your ASD you are unable to fill out even simple forms without help. Mention why you cant get help from your family. i was fortunate i had a gran i could live with as mum was unable to cope with me. The welfare officer should be able to tell that from your problems speaking that you need some emergency help.

Is there something that brings different things together - I need help with: ASD issues, health, housing, benefits and particularly important someone to help me manage all of that and the interaction with different people. When I can't just pick up a phone and call someone it's doubly hard. Is there somewhere I can go and get help to sort it out with someone who will also understand my ASD?

Hopefully the welfare department of your university, they at least understand mental distress which your post shows. Welfare helped me fill in a form when i was unable to access prescriptions, helped me apply for access to learning fund when i was still in university, helped me decide whether to take my exams or sign off sick when i was heading for a breakdown (didnt happen that time), can help with benefit applications.

They can at least fill out the forms with you but in order to fill out the DLA form, i strongly suggest you download a copy of the "taking responsibility" report http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?a=3925&d=368 . i used it to help a mate fill out his DLA form and that along with the extra help he provided from the NAS website was enough to get his DLA approved. There is a page on practical support services section, another page on crisis services (which you are in since you are about to become homeless) and other sections on what works for asperger folk. The practical support services will give you prompts for what to fill in on your DLA form. It will be depressing to have to come to terms with being autistic but it can be worth it in the end. It wont make you less of a person but it could give you something to live on whilst you get your life back on track.

i had to give up university in 2005 and i almost had a breakdown. i say almost as i decided to change my diet and lifestyle and sort myself out. I am now fairly functional and stable and living in a learning disability housing scheme.

I'm due for an urgent appointment with CMHT anyway, because everything's having a massive negative impact on me, which my GP has said is part of a pyramid of services - will they be able to help me? Should I tell them everything or will they think I can't cope (which is probably true)?

i think it depends on whether you are prepared to go into hospital (since you cannot go into detail hard to tell how to best help you) if this is a severe illness. Do mention you are about to become homeless and why also that you will have no money to live on and why you feel services are inaccessible for you at the moment.

What do I do about housing? I don't think I can cope alone but what are my options? Is there someone who can help me understand these - and what happens when you don't fit a neat category? My health needs mean it wouldn't be safe for me to have to manage alone and these are greatly exacerbated by my ASD and communication needs meaning I struggle to get help when needed and need someone 'on call'. But on a more general day-to-day basis, I need someone who gets the ASD more.

You can ask social services to provide emergency housing (they have very strict criterion especially if you are male). You can ask about this at the welfare office.

It feels like I'm suddenly faced with doing everything at once when I was hoping for a gradual transition after uni and I just feel totally lost. I just want someone to pick me up and sort it all out for me :tearful: but I know that isn't going to happen and I have to do something, at least try and sort this out. I really feel like I've failed, I've got all these qualifications and yet I can't use them and sort out the 'basics' of life. :(

If you can email the autism helpline and explain your situation and ask what you can do. Let us know what their response is. Also try not to be so hard on yourself, ASD can be a severe disability no matter what level of autism you are supposed to have (that's an attack against using the term mild autism for aspergers not aimed at you). Im 80% disabled despite having so called mild aspergers.

Good luck and Welfare officer at university and autism helpline are your 1st port of calls.

Alexis

The NAS have a new benefits helpline. I don't know whether they can do it via email - worth looking into.

welfare@nas.org.uk

The Citizen's Advice Bureau are capable of offering a lot of guidance and may even be able to make phone calls and write letters on your behalf. They probably won't be aware of ASD-specific issues, but should be able to help in a general way.

i would personally prefer the university welfare department since they are paid to help you.

Shelter is a charity who work to prevent homelessness. They don't only work with people who are actually on the streets, but also with people who are "vulnerably housed." I would imagine you fall into their remit. They may not be able to offer you much advice on the disability issues, but may have some ideas of what you may be entitled to on the housing front.

i think that is a good idea.

Mental health charities such as Sane or Mind may be worth a try as well.

You may be entitled to a support worker to visit you and help you manage at home. This would be arranged through adult social services. It can be hard to actually get an assessment. I know a couple of adults on an emailing list who have this type of support, if you like I can post the bare bones to the emailing list and see if they come forward and maybe would be willing for me to pass on their email addresses to you. (I WON'T DO THIS UNLESS AND UNTIL YOU SAY IT'S OK, but I also can't promise they have time to help.)

Sounds like a plausible solution as well.

Thanks Tally - I appreciate your help, thought it's lists like this (and this is about the systems) that are freaking me out - I simply don't know how to choose which one to start with: do I go to the NAS, do I go to the CAB, do I contact mental health charities? I thought of making one email with the basic details and sending it but I know that if I get any conflicting information (which is probably highly likely) or more choices to make, this will cause me depending on the type of conflict so much distress/difficulty (at the moment - on a good day, I could cope).

i would contact, NAS, student welfare and mental health/shelter charities at once. Then whichever organisation offers you the most useful advice follow up and ask for further help from them. Contact as many people at once as you can, these 4 should keep you going for now. Yes do send a generic email to them, but best use bcc function if you can.

OK, and it's right that it's practical support I need. I can't really access my counselling support at the moment because I'm so overwhelmed by the practical issues going on. I need to sort my basic survival issues before I can deal with other feelings type issues. All I've been able to say to my counsellor is that I'm just feeling really numb, I don't seem to have many feelings of the type I'm supposed to talk about at the moment because there are other issues taking over.

i find eating strawberries in the morning helps with the feeling numb type of depression that you have. They contain histamine and it's low histamine depression that you have. i tend to go between constant crying depression to anxiety depression which is set off by low histamine depression.

The difficultly with the CMHT is that I've been referred to them previously and got discharged after the initial assessment because my uni could provide more counselling support than they could - but I need to make them see that I will lose all that support if I'm not at uni so need external support.

Would CMHT be able to organise this?

You could ask the university welfare officer to help you draft a letter to CMHT. It would explain you have to leave university for mental health reasons and you need a service to access when you leave due to being a vulnerable adult.

I've had a couple of really bad experiences doing this in the past where I was taken advantage of/abused by landlords who took advantage of my naivety because I stupidly simply didn't read the social cues and see what was going on around me and I'm very wary of something similar, even though I'm sure there are plenty of good people out there. I have looked through various listings, but I don't know how I would afford it, and a huge number won't accept anyone who gets any benefits. Plus I don't know if it would be fair on anyone having to live with me.

i can see why you are sceptical and wary of people. i also have trust issues but that's more PTSD than AS. The NAS should know of reliable services to access in your area.

Alexis

:thumbs: That's helpful, thanks :) I shall put my issues in some meaningful order and do that. One concern I have is people's areas of knowledge, for instance the NAS will be able to help with ASD issues but not other health issues which are the major source of difficulty at the moment which is why I was looking for some overview agency.

At least I have somewhere to start now. I'm also going to see my uni welfare people - well if they're suggesting time out they should know something about what I do, although I guess most students have families they can run home to. :tearful: That's what I really need right now. :(

If you dont find an ASD friendly service your mental health problems are likely to worsen.

To be totally honest, most organisations will vary by area., so it is a bit of try all of them and see who works best for you :rolleyes:

Our CAB is very good - the general advisors can sort out benefits and will happily spend a couple of hours making phone calls and filling out forms and such like for you. We also have a specialist MH team, who you would be referred to once all the emergency stuff has been sorted, and they would have ongoing contact with you to help sort out SS, support, housing issues and whatever else pops up due to you living independantly. However, each branch is run independantly and not all of them have MH teams, or such dedicated generalist volunteers!

I have done some work with Shelter int he next door county - who again were fantastic, having indivdual support workers who worked with the client through all the housing & associated issues (ie: furniture & bills etc). But the Shelter in my own county don't seem to do anything much:(

I have known people get a fantastic joined up service from DIAL

I would personally advise going to physically talk to someone, rather than use a phone service, so see what services exist in your area. CAB can definitely do that much for you.

Good luck

Hi Mumble

I work as a secretary in a CMHT. I cannot guarantee other CMHTs work in the same way or have access to the same services as ours does.

However, our CMHT has Support Workers who can help with filling out forms, going for walks, going shopping etc. Also, our CMHT clinicians/consultants can and do write to the local housing department asking for people's applications to be supported and moved through quickly due to the adverse effect the stress can have on their mental health. They can also, most crucially, write to the Supported Housing department to support an application for Supported Housing, which is what it sounds like you may need.

Housing and Supported Housing are departments of the Council.

Of course this all depends on the CMHT deciding to take you on and agreeing you need these services. Personally, I would print out what you have posted on here (and any other posts about your difficulties), as this explains your difficulties well, probably better than you could when you are sat there faced with another stranger (I go blank when faced with a doctor!).

Hi Mumble

Of course this all depends on the CMHT deciding to take you on and agreeing you need these services. Personally, I would print out what you have posted on here (and any other posts about your difficulties), as this explains your difficulties well, probably better than you could when you are sat there faced with another stranger (I go blank when faced with a doctor!).

My sister works as a MH OT - which is a kind of support worker. Her Trust will only take on ASD clients if there are additional MH/physical problems as well. As you have those, you ought to be able to access their services. But they are massively overworked, and have approx 50% vacancies unfilled countrywide, so ought to and actually getting are not necessarily the same :tearful: It may also take several weeks to get sorted with them, as they have rigerous and sometimes longwinded procedures & reports to go through before deciding to take you on.

Definitely something to look into for long term support, but possibly not much help with immediate issues.

Can your current team refer you on to SS?

I would not recommend citizens advice beureau,though it seems others have recommended better options for you anyway,they are not helpful,very slow and often you have to wait an hour in the waiting area.All the info they find for you is online anyway so it basically means you can do it yourself.I used to use them alot for various issues and felt I got nowhere,it was before I had internet access.So I strongly advice you to take the other suggestions.Shelter is excellent,but sometimes they send you to the local council anyway so I would go there for the housing issue,but I do think you should speak to your Uni first obviousley they not going to just kick you out they need to help you even if its just making calls on your behalf.

I agree with NAS they do have a welfare rights officer who may due to your needs even email or possibly visit.

I would also look into Housing Associations, my home is throw a Housing Association and I get benefits for rent, most Housing Associations also do supported living.

Nas will have a list of spersific Autism Houisng accomadation too, so do try these.

MENCAP also help people with Autism/Aspergers Syndrome so if you have a local MENCAP try these too.

I was going to recommend Mind but they possibly wouldnt meet your social and communication needs, so stick with NAS for supported housing.

Im sorry mumble your going throw a really difficult process with uni and your health, hope things get sorted out but you know were here if you need us again.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

JsMumxxxx

Hi Mumble,

I don't have anything to add to the excellent advice you've already been given, but just wanted to say I'm thinking of you and hope you get the help you need to negotiate through this.

>:D<<'>

K x

Thank you everyone for your support, replies and advice. I'm going to print it and the associated links so I've a)got all the information in one place and b)when I go to people they can see I'm trying (but stuck).

I went to see my counsellor today and being able to talk about this was helpful but difficult. I'm going to start with seeing the uni welfare people; they actually come under the same group of services as my counsellor so if I find it too distressing/difficult to get help/be understood, my counsellor can help me.

My counsellor couldn't tell me what to do, only help me think things through more clearly, but I think by what she was saying about what time out would allow me to do provided I had support in place (it would for one give me more security about the future because transitions after uni if everything had gone to plan scare me anyway), she saw this as potentially beneficial.

My CMHT assessment has come through for just over a week - this one terrifies me, because I don't know how to get the balance right between letting them know how distressed I am and my fear of being locked up - it's a partly irrational fear but has a basis in past experiences. I think I will probably stick to actual needs rather than the feelings stuff.

I'm also going to try and talk to my consultant and specialist nurse when I'm at the hospital tomorrow as they might be able to offer advice/help.

i guess you have explored options about changing to part time university? i did this and found i lasted another year and a bit enough time to get my DipHE.

i managed to get my uni gp to write me a note to accommodation allowing me to stay even though i was a part time student (60% time).

That's definitely a worthwhile option to explore/suggest - I think there may be funding issues, but it could possibly solve some of the issues such as accommodation. Although if I'm honest with myself I'm not up to working 60% at the moment (I don't like admitting that :() and can see the benefit of a break.

Unfortunately family isn't an option - my Mum doesn't accept my dx and lives in the middle of a field (literally) too far from medical care for it to be safe for me at the moment and my only other family is my sister and I would never put that pressure on her - she should be going off to the other side of the world next year to do exciting things with atoms or some-suchlike :unsure: and I couldn't live with doing anything that might impact on her future. :tearful:

If your sister is still going to be around for a while maybe she could help you sort out the practicalities in the short term - just until you're over the immediate crisis and are settled somewhere?

K x

Can your uni disability team do a transition plan contacting the appropriate agencies?

:lol: :lol: :lol: ooh, ouch, I'm not supposed to laugh. :(

(Not laughing at you, laughing at the idea of my uni disability team doing anything - I'm in this mess in part because they still haven't put in place the support they should have done over 2 1/2 years ago...)

If it's any help, I can list the benefits that might be available to you......

the ones I can think off, off the top of my head are:

Employment Support Allowance (ESA). This is the benefit designed for those with disabilities/difficulties working. It replaces Incapacity Benefit, and part of the change is to try and find what kind of work or "work related activity" you CAN do. It usually involves an assessment your physical and mental abilities/difficulties. It is much easier to get with physical difficulties than mental ones. If you are on ESA, you can "try out" some work without any penalty on your benefits either from earning money or if you decide it is not for you and leave.

If you are deemed not eligible for ESA, you would need to apply for Job Seekers Allowance (JSA), for which you have to prove you are actively seeking work, or Income Support (IS), which does not require you to seek work, but you need to evidence why you can not go on JSA instead!

All the above are means tested (although there are contribution based versions of JSA and ESA too). Means tested means you get them if you have a low enough income. Your income is based on your household income, so if you live with other family members/a partner etc, their income will be taken into account.

If you are on means tested IS/JSA/ESA you will automatically be entitled to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit. This will often cover up to 100% of your housing costs. The amount available is based on the average cost in your area of the minimum housing needs for your family. As a single person, that would usuaally be a 1 bed flat. However, if you have additional needs and can demonstrate why you need something bigger (ie: carer to stay over night, or a "chill out" room, or supported housing) there is an additional fund that you can apply for to top up the HB to cover actual costs.

You are also likely to be entitled to Disability Living Allowance (DLA), which I think I remember you saying you already get? This is not means tested, and is split into a "care" componant and a "mobility" componant. There are three levels of Care, and two of mobility.

If you get middle or higher rate care DLA, someone else cn claim carers allowance for helping care for you. they need to be caring for 35 hours per week or more, and not earn more than £95 per week.

If you work 16 hours or more, and are on a low income, you can claim Working Tax Credit. There is a disaability element to this, which makes it well worth it :thumbs:

As a disabled person, your locaal authority Disabled Adults Team have a duty to assess you if you request this. they also have a duty to assess your carer's needs (if you have one). Their assessment may well result in you getting a social worker, adaptions for the house, a support worker etc.

Another benefit available from your local authority is the Direct Payment scheme, which is when they pay for a specific thing that will help you integrate into thee community or have a better quality of life. This can be paid direct to you or to the thing you are using. Ofteen used to pay for home help, attending clubs/courses, mentoring etc This can often be highlighted in your disability assessment, and you are much more likely to get it if requested by a professional (ie social worker)

there are also a variety of home adaption grants and loans available - these do depend on the type of housing you are in, and the type of adaption you need.

As you are going to be actually homeless, and have a disability, you should be very high up on the list for council housing. The local authority will have a "vulnerable person" housing team who should be able to sort all of that out for you! They should make allowances for your needs and deal with you in whichever way you prefer - face to face, by email, by telephone etc. Mostly these teams are fairly good, so would be a good place to start in my opinion. Don't let the council just put you through to their "normal" housing people, specify that you need to speak to the specialist service for vulnerable adults.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck!

If it's any help, I can list the benefits that might be available to you......

Thanks, that's really helpful :thumbs: My one concern is that my uni welfare people won't know about the disability element to any extent so I may need to go external for help. Having a list like this will help make sure each item is considered and give me an idea of whether they do know what they are talking about.

There was a great free booklet in with my NAS magazine today on benefits and support which goes through each, so I'll take that with me too.

Failing that I'll just sue my uni for failing to address my support needs which have led to/severely exacerbated MH issues which in turn have exacerbated/made it harder to deal with physical health issues. :whistle:

:lol: :lol: :lol: ooh, ouch, I'm not supposed to laugh. :(

(Not laughing at you, laughing at the idea of my uni disability team doing anything - I'm in this mess in part because they still haven't put in place the support they should have done over 2 1/2 years ago...)

Sorry :( :(

Bid >:D<<'>

Thanks, that's really helpful :thumbs: My one concern is that my uni welfare people won't know about the disability element to any extent so I may need to go external for help. Having a list like this will help make sure each item is considered and give me an idea of whether they do know what they are talking about.

There was a great free booklet in with my NAS magazine today on benefits and support which goes through each, so I'll take that with me too.

Failing that I'll just sue my uni for failing to address my support needs which have led to/severely exacerbated MH issues which in turn have exacerbated/made it harder to deal with physical health issues. :whistle:

i thought of you when it arrived. i hope you find it useful as it mentions DLA and ESA. After applying for those and getting them through then Income support will be your next bet. When i moved in here i went through each utility one by one setting them up. It took a whole day and a very annoying virgin media person who was so unhelpful!! to get it all sorted out.

Housing benefit and council tax benefit can be applied for at the same time as DLA.

Alexis